Refurbish Kbox mini

@DaveH I miss understood you. You want to see a hammertone finish right? Sorry man I thought you meant you want to see argief's used device.

Here's an example of Hammertone Finish, this one is quite rough, you do get smoother hammertone finishes than this. Google it (I don't have any mods to show as examples)
Tony_headtube.jpg

White wouldn't be my first choice - wouldn't mind the copper hammertone.
I think if anyone is thinking of doing a paint job I wouldn't bother to strip the powder coating off - just a light sanding with 1000 grade. Keep away from all the edges. Needs to be done with luv and care.
The problem arises if there are chips they will need to be built up to the same thickness as the coating.
Dave

@DaveH I miss understood you. You want to see a hammertone finish right? Sorry man I thought you meant you want to see argief's used device.
Clouder, You're right I do want to see argief's device.

You suggested a hammertone finish on a subbox - I asked what colour for the hammertone.
So we are 100%
I would still like to see argief's device.
Dave

Last edited:
Sometimes things just do not go as planned. Who knew that cast aluminium cannot be anodized. Silicon is added to the aluminium to make it more fluid for the casting process and stops it from being anodized. Great!
Because they could not anodize it for me (and probably they felt sorry for me) they polished it.

I have to say they did polish it nicely.:)
IMG_1954.jpg

I was going to get it anodized this colour.
IMG_1956.jpg

I think it may have looked nice but we will not know now.

Plan B: Although it has been polished very nicely - polished aluminium is not for me. So it is painting time - where's that rattle can?
I'm going to try a "gold" colour metallic paint - it will either look alright or it won't - at least I have some paint stripper.:D

Dave

Sometimes things just do not go as planned. Who knew that cast aluminium cannot be anodized. Silicon is added to the aluminium to make it more fluid for the casting process and stops it from being anodized. Great!
Because they could not anodize it for me (and probably they felt sorry for me) they polished it.

I have to say they did polish it nicely.:)
View attachment 40319

I was going to get it anodized this colour.
View attachment 40320

I think it may have looked nice but we will not know now.

Plan B: Although it has been polished very nicely - polished aluminium is not for me. So it is painting time - where's that rattle can?
I'm going to try a "gold" colour metallic paint - it will either look alright or it won't - at least I have some paint stripper.:D

Dave
Pity about the anodizing! Have you looked at this option (if it's possible)?

Pity about the anodizing! Have you looked at this option (if it's possible)?
Thanks Pixstar, have looked at it - not really me plus I don't think I'm artistic enough to make it look decent. It would just end up a mishmash of colours.:rolleyes:
I'm still not sure what I am going to do - I should have checked anodizing cast aluminium before I started.:hit:
It's not the end of the world, just have to look at what to do now :D
Dave

Thanks Pixstar, have looked at it - not really me plus I don't think I'm artistic enough to make it look decent. It would just end up a mishmash of colours.:rolleyes:
I'm still not sure what I am going to do - I should have checked anodizing cast aluminium before I started.:hit:
It's not the end of the world, just have to look at what to do now :D
Dave

Bummer, I was getting worked up to see what you'd come up with, thought perhaps the ink route too.:THINKING:
Anyhow, seems like its just paint and clear coat, or a brushed finish and clear coat now that anodising and electroplating is pretty much ruled out, that gold anodising would have looked the biz.

Got some stuff to clean the powder coating off and after a few hours ............ done.
I thought some of you may like to see a few pics.
All the powder coating removed showing the innards
View attachment 40107

On the left (that's the side of the road most of us drive on :D) the 'studs' for the screws (2) can be seen. Also at the top there is a slot for the 510 connectors flange to slot in. Nice bit of casting.:)
View attachment 40108

Just showing the front and back
View attachment 40109

:)
Dave
Very interesting Dave, can't wait to see it as this was my first box.I use it regularly and the thing is like the energizer bunny, keeps going and going....

@DaveH , sorry it didn't work out the way you hoped bud. Either way I love how it looks now:) .

The other option would be Duplicolor anodized spray paint if you want something close to the look you initially wanted.

Also , you've got +- 2 days of shinny left on the kbox before it dulls over so you might as well clear coat it for the time being.

Hi Khan,
"Duplicolor anodized spray paint" Not heard of that, I can't say I remember seeing it anywhere. Sometimes I don't remember what happened an hour ago so that doesn't mean much.:--)
Dave

Well I suppose I had better just paint it.
Using 'gold metallic paint' in a rattle can.

I just did the back part of the casting if I don't like it I'll just drop it in the paint remover and go for another colour.
IMG_1962.jpg

I don't really like it - but I knew whichever colour I used - I wouldn't like it :eek:
I'll spray the front casting and see what it looks like from 30 meters away :D

It is no different to the original - just a different colour.:hit:
Dave

Very Interesting thread, following with interest.

Well I suppose I had better just paint it.
Using 'gold metallic paint' in a rattle can.

I just did the back part of the casting if I don't like it I'll just drop it in the paint remover and go for another colour.
View attachment 40378

I don't really like it - but I knew whichever colour I used - I wouldn't like it :eek:
I'll spray the front casting and see what it looks like from 30 meters away :D

It is no different to the original - just a different colour.:hit:
Dave
Looks like a good start Dave . Just spray the whole mod then decide from there. Like you said , if it doesn't turn out the way you like then just drop it in some thinners & start over. That's the fun part lol.

This is the spray I mentioned , so far I've only seen it at Autostyle though I'm sure other vehicle accessories shops should have them.
imag9.jpg

Thanks Khan, that looks like it could do the job.:)
B'warehouse don't stock it nor do a couple of other hardware shops I tried, I didn't try any car accessory shops - never thought about them.
I know a couple of car accessory shops I will go and have a look.
I have in the meantime sprayed the front casting - waiting for it to dry then I'll post a pic.
Dave

Couple of pics front and back neither of the parts are really dry so I'm not going to assemble just yet. (I might not be able to get it a part if the paint hasn't dried properly)
IMG_1964.jpg
IMG_1965.jpg

Like I said it is the same as it was, just a different colour.:eek:
I don't know what I think.:lipssealed:
Dave

You could maybe jazz it up a little with some flake under the clear coat like the custom cars painters do, but at the mo it just looks fine.
That metal gold that @Khan83 suggested could look ace, kinda hard to tell just looking at the outside of a tin. :)
We'll both know when its WoW!!! and you're happy. :)

Couple of pics front and back neither of the parts are really dry so I'm not going to assemble just yet. (I might not be able to get it a part if the paint hasn't dried properly)
View attachment 40394
View attachment 40395

Like I said it is the same as it was, just a different colour.:eek:
I don't know what I think.:lipssealed:
Dave
Wow man , nicely done. Turned out awesome.

Looks like something that would have come out of the kanger box.:)

Back