Removing the branding and knurling off a Blitz FP

Intuthu Kagesi

Proficitis cum eo
LV

Awards
I loved the Blitz FP, and hated the "Brakpan Branding and Knurling", so half an hour later with some fine cuts in the ol' lathe, along with the manufacture of a new drip tip ... and we have a far more aesthetically pleasing 30mm RTA

tvp-fp-rta-review.jpg IMG_20201214_091832.jpg IMG_20201214_092025.jpg

Not to be outdone by Rob and DarthBranMuffin's polishing ... began the buffing process on the ol' Fat Pig ... the pic below is post 1000 grit water paper, and some 5 minutes of polishing compound and a rag ... I'll have to "rinse and repeat" a few more times before I get a true mirror finish tho' ... I'm also going to leave the matt finish / fine machining on the chimney as a contrast.
IMG_20210109_103439.jpg

Not to be outdone by Rob and DarthBranMuffin's polishing ... began the buffing process on the ol' Fat Pig ... the pic below is post 1000 grit water paper, and some 5 minutes of polishing compound and a rag ... I'll have to "rinse and repeat" a few more times before I get a true mirror finish tho' ... I'm also going to leave the matt finish / fine machining on the chimney as a contrast.
View attachment 218773
Looks good.

Thanks man :) ... Stainless is as hard as nails, and it gets flippen hot whilst buffing, so this is gonna be a lengthy process :facepalm:
O the price we pay for vanity :rofl:
Look for honing stones instead of using sand paper. Then you use the sand paper only for final buff before polish.

Look for honing stones instead of using sand paper. Then you use the sand paper only for final buff before polish.

My finish wasn't too bad to start, as I'd been using a 0.1 micron step rate, (with the same as a depth of cut), on the lathe when I first flushed the "branding"

I've subsequently run down the sandpaper, (water paper), list from 600 to 1000 grit, (mounted on a sanding block), too prior to buffing ...
I have it taped, only that it's certainly a labour of love, as it's painfully slow ... but hey ... that's what's required for a mirror finish!

View attachment 218773

Awesome looking facelift there!

It's now the Blitz IK and much better for it! Never appealed to me but that was mainly down to the aesthetic look so great job!

Thanks so much :) ... You and Rob have set that bar blimming high with what you do to and with mods and tanks :eek: us mere mortals are struggling to keep up ;(

I'm just here for the cookies.... Oom Rob is the main polishing chief around here... between his knowledge and expertise and your hands-on input I am just towing the line and enjoying the outcome of shineyness.... :-D

It's now the Blitz IK and much better for it! Never appealed to me but that was mainly down to the aesthetic look so great job!

Thanks Timwis ... Like you I seriously disliked the aesthetics, however looked beyond the horrific branding as an oversized tank for a large mechmod I had. As it worked out the dimensions shrunk post machining to a little over 28mm, so it put paid to that idea :rolleyes:

Back