Samsung 25R 18650 batteries

zadiac

Sub Ohm & Flavor Junkie
Staff member
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi folks

Just wanted to get this out there and see if there are any one else experiencing this.

So I bought 2 x Samsung 25R batteries at VapeClub recently. Unfortunately, I found these batteries quite inferior to the Efest 2500 purple batteries. This is why:

From the get go the smurfs lost voltage after charging when not in use. My most recent Efests (also from VapeClub) don't. They stood right through the night without using them and when I checked them this morning, they were still at full 4.2 volts, while the smurfs go down to 4.16 in only 4 hours when not in use. I wonder how low they will discharge if I leave them right through the night. I'll test this tonight.

Could these be duds? If this is normal of the Samsung 25R then I will resume buying Efests as they are clearly superior. Not only this, but when I fire my Reo with the smurf, the ramp up time of the coil is definitely longer than with the Efests. I've tested this with 3 different builds in the Reo.

Has anyone experienced this as well with the smurfs or are mine possibly duds?

mine dropped down to 4.18v after about a week of standing with full charge

Bought some at FT

2 weeks sitting with full charge, dropped to 4.19 tested with a Fluke

for me the smurfs is far better than the Efest. When i have one in the Reo you can feel it delivers the power better and faster. My Efest is about six months old so that might come into play here, but i like the smurfs :)

Edit: sorry just worked out it is two weeks

I have three which have been standing by my computer for various amounts of time from two different batches and which have seen different amounts of use. Standing for between 2 weeks to a few days +-. Voltages between the three read from 4.2 to 4.17, not too sure how long it takes to get there though..
I would guess the voltage would stabilise at around that point.

Can't measure an Efest (which is an LG-HE2) though as I gave all of mine away.

Hi @zadiac

I also got some Smurfs from VapeClub and I do also think that they lose their charge slightly more than the Efests when standing unused but fully charged.

After a few days of standing unused but fully charged, my Efests are usually down to 4.19V.
Yet the Smurfs are down to about 4.18 or 4.17. Never seen this on the Efests. My Efests are several months old already. Smurfs are fairly new. But the difference is so marginal that it doesnt affect me. I use the Smurfs in the Sigelei 100W + and the Efests in the Reo so cant comment on the ramp up time etc

Hi @zadiac

I also got some Smurfs from VapeClub and I do also think that they lose their charge slightly more than the Efests when standing unused but fully charged.

After a few days of standing unused but fully charged, my Efests are usually down to 4.19V.
Yet the Smurfs are down to about 4.18 or 4.17. Never seen this on the Efests. My Efests are several months old already. Smurfs are fairly new. But the difference is so marginal that it doesnt affect me. I use the Smurfs in the Sigelei 100W + and the Efests in the Reo so cant comment on the ramp up time etc

Yes @Silver , I've also now changed to my latest Efests back in the Reo. They just perform better there. I have the smurfs now in the Sigelei as well.
I guess I'll be buying Efests again from now on. I'm really not impressed with the performance of the smurfs in the Reo.

@JakesSA , please know that this is not aimed at you as a vendor, but at the Samsung 25R performance. I think you and Lindsay are great and will always keep on supporting you.

Just measured my collection with @johan's doohickey. About 20 batts, consisting of Smurfs, Efests. AWs and VTC5s. They have all been charged between 7 days and about 12 hours ago. None are below 4.18. Found a more or less even distribution between 4.18 and 4.20. Only one, a VTC5, measured at 4.21.
Have not noticed any difference in the performance of these batteries, but have not tested same under controlled circumstances.
Personally I prefer the Smurfs. Why? I have not idea. Probably the colour:D.

I just want to add that I charged the smurfs and the efests with my new Nitecore D2 charger.

I am also not excluding the possibility of a bad battery btw. I see those batteries are about 6 days old. Give them a few more charge cycles and if the situation doesn't improve let me know?

I will do that. Thanks. Will let you know. :)

Interesting thing about the Nitecore chargers - slightly off topic but related

When i charge batts on my Nitecore i4 they are 4.22V when i take them out
When i charge on my Nitecore i2 - they are 4.18V when i take them out.
This happens to all batts, Efest 18650, Efest 18490 and the Smurfs

So the ones that are 4.22V are usually 4.20V when they go into use, since they can stand for a few days.

This difference between the i4 and the i2 charger used to worry me, but now it doesnt. Its only a 0.9% difference and I could not tell the difference in the vape on a Reo between 4.22 and 4.18.

I had the same 'issue' with my smurfs, when i just got them.

As you use them they get better at holding charge, well thats the case with mine.

My I2 charger also only charges up to 4.19. Ive never seen any of my batteries charged to full 4.20 using the I2.

EDIT: after a full nights charge of the smurfs, they hold their charge for at least a full day (at 4.19) and then drop to 4.18, 4.17.

They have never dropped below 4.17

I had the same 'issue' with my smurfs, when i just got them.

As you use them they get better at holding charge, well thats the case with mine.

My I2 charger also only charges up to 4.19. Ive never seen any of my batteries charged to full 4.20 using the I2.

EDIT: after a full nights charge of the smurfs, they hold their charge for at least a full day (at 4.19) and then drop to 4.18, 4.17.

They have never dropped below 4.17

Thanks. I'll watch for that.

@zadiac that is about standard for new batteries, after a couple of cycles of charging and discharging they will improve in holding a charge (won't go into the electro-chemistry involved, it might "hurt your head" :p). Regarding charging to a specific voltage; 99% of all Lithium-ion and Lithium-polymer battery manufacturers specify charging to 4.20V with an allowable tolerance of 0.01, meaning:
Upper limit = 4.2 x 1.01 = 4.24V and Lower Limit = 4.2 - (4.2 x 0.01) = 4.16V PS: Don't trust the voltage readout on charger and/or electronic mod as accurate, it is not 100% accurate and neither calibrated - its just an indication.

Ah, thank you Ohm Johan. I can live with that :)
And about "hurting my head". Yeah, anything complicated math related and my head hurts. Math was never my strong point...hahaha

Not to hijack this thread but i for one would love to hear about the electro-chemistry involved.

I promise my head wont hurt

Not to hijack this thread but i for one would love to hear about the electro-chemistry involved.

I promise my head wont hurt

Its quite lengthy but for someone like you thats interested here are some links on the subject (third link a well written paper):

http://inqu.uprm.edu/blog/news/32 (short version)
http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/action/lithium.cfm
https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=ohiou1004388277&disposition=inline

and a video with a simple visual explanation

So, I've had the smurfs for a while now and I stand by my first post.
My last Efest 2500's that I bought at the November vape meet are still better.
With the Efests I can go through a full bottle on the Reo without the flavor diminishing near the end, but not with the smurfs. The smurfs only do about 2/3 of the bottle then the flavor goes bland and cold (a clear sign for me that my battery needs replacing).

I ordered two new Efest 2800's from SkyBlue and if I'm happy with them, then that'll be the batteries I'll use from now on (or the Efest 2500's if I can get any).

Must say that I am very impressed wth the smurfs I bought from Vapeclub. Use them in the Dimitri at home, and they last me two to three evenings before eroping to 3.8V. I can only compare them to the VTC4's, but I prefer the smurgs to the Sonys so far. Could be a bad batch?

Must say that I am very impressed wth the smurfs I bought from Vapeclub. Use them in the Dimitri at home, and they last me two to three evenings before eroping to 3.8V. I can only compare them to the VTC4's, but I prefer the smurgs to the Sonys so far. Could be a bad batch?

Could be, but not gonna hold VapeClub to that. I'm just going to move back to Efests. They've proven themselves to me since I started vaping. Better the devil you know....lol
Just gonna use the smurfs in the big box mod until they die completely.

Could be, but not gonna hold VapeClub to that. I'm just going to move back to Efests. They've proven themselves to me since I started vaping. Better the devil you know....lol
Just gonna use the smurfs in the big box mod until they die completely.

lol, yeah. Mine also came from Vapeclub, so if it is a batery issue it certainly can't be the suppliers fault, but the battery manufacturor's QC more likely.

So, I've had the smurfs for a while now and I stand by my first post.
My last Efest 2500's that I bought at the November vape meet are still better.
With the Efests I can go through a full bottle on the Reo without the flavor diminishing near the end, but not with the smurfs. The smurfs only do about 2/3 of the bottle then the flavor goes bland and cold (a clear sign for me that my battery needs replacing).

I ordered two new Efest 2800's from SkyBlue and if I'm happy with them, then that'll be the batteries I'll use from now on (or the Efest 2500's if I can get any).

The Samsung 25Rs may not last quite as long as the Efest 2500 batteries, but they do (according to independent testing) provide a higher continuous discharge rate. With batteries it's always a trade off in that department. I'm loving my Smurfs (for the peace of mind) and they perform quite well.

I also got some Efest 2800 batteries, and I'm keen to see how they will perform over time - if they give good battery life and live up to the 35A claims, I'll buy a bunch more of them and replace everything else :)

Do not want to hijack this thread, but here is some interesting technology in the making and might change the general battery as we know it (Starting at Car Batteries), Imagine the Mod/Mech you are utilizing in any shape or size becoming the battery as well incorporated in the material/body of the mech/mod....we certainly are living in interesting times

http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Volvos-tech-End-of-the-car-battery-20131018
Volvo tech: End of car battery?

2013-10-18 14:01

SHARE:

C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

VOLVO’S FUTURE TECH:Volvo is testing a new boot lid which the automaker claims “is a functional powered storage component.”Image: VOLVO

Related Links
· Self-saving cars top tests

· 170g hamster steers Volvo truck

· Classic Volvo hits 4.8-million km

Is this the end of the road for the conventional car battery? A Volvo breakthrough might have kicked it into history. Here's how...

Volvo, in partnership with academic institutions, has developed a revolutionary concept for lightweight energy storage components that could improve the energy usage of future electric vehicles and kick the conventional car battery into the scrap heap.

The material, consisting of carbon-fibred, nano-structured batteries and super-capacitors, offers lighter energy storage that requires less space, is cost effective and eco-friendly.
FEASIBLE SOLUTIONThe project, funded by the European Union, included Imperial College London as the academic lead partner along with eight other major participants. Volvo was the only automaker involved.

Gallery: Volvo's new battery tech

Teams identified created a feasible solution to the heavy weight, large size and high costs associated with battery packs for current hybrids and electric vehicles. The project took 42 months and is now realised in the form of panels within a Volvo S80 test vehicle.

Using a combination of carbon fibre and a polymer resin, the team created "a very advanced nano-material" and structural super-capacitors. The materials sandwich the new battery and are moulded to fit around the vehicle's frame, such as the door panels, boot lid and wheel arches.

According to Volvo: "The carbon-fibre laminate is first layered, shaped and cured in an oven. The super-capacitors are integrated within the component skin. This material can then be used around the vehicle, replacing existing components, to store and charge energy.

"The material is recharged and energised by the use of brake energy regeneration in the car or by plugging in to an electrical grid. It then transfers the energy to the electric motor."

The material not only charges and stores power faster than conventional batteries it's also "strong and pliant".

BATTERY BOOT-LID?Volvo hopes to apply the new technology to its models through two components - boot lid and bonnet/engine cover.

The boot lid, currently being tested in an S80, is "a functional powered storage component" and has the potential to replace standard batteries. It's lighter than a standard boot lid, saving on both volume and weight.

The new engine cover can replace both the rally bar (used to stabilise the car) and the stop/start battery. According to the automaker: "This saves more than 50% in weight and is powerful enough to supply energy to the car’s 12V system."

It's believed the substitution of an electric car’s existing components with the new material could cut the overall weight by more than 15%. This is not only cost-effective but would also reduce the impact on the environment.

Back