Show us your vape roots

Intuthu Kagesi

Proficitis cum eo
LV

Awards
In the period 2009 through 2012? I unsuccessfully tried to give up smoking by trying various electronic cigarettes. They included devices that looked similar to "real" cigarettes with ends that glowed to simulate being alight when you inhaled, where you would need to replace a plastic tip with a little ball of cotton wool saturated eliquid in it, which would only provide some 10 puffs, (if you were lucky). Well that was an absolute disaster, and vaping round one was an epic fail!

Along came Ego with the devices, (and clones), in the pic below, seemingly a godsend, as they now held around 1.5ml of eliquid, and their, (claimed), 1000 to 1500mAh batteries were good for a day on a charge.

Well eliquids still weren't what they are today, and the objective was to taste, (smell), like a normal stinkie, whilst providing copious quantities of nicotine, (a mere 1.2% in a 5ml bottle), so once again, I failed dismally with round two. I was a 30 a day Camel Classic smoker, probably getting more nicotine out of a single puff than the entire 5ml containers of the time ... so the items below were relegated to a box in my garage, (yes I'm a hoarder of a sort), and the experiences above become the foundation of my reticence towards vaping ... which I may add, only changed fairly recently.

So earlier today, in yet another bored lock down moment, I dug 'em out, cleaned, rewicked, recoiled, charged and popped in some "modern" eliquid ... and ... I get why I failed to give up smoking back then;
Compared to a modern pod, they might? get a 2/10, and that's only because our MTL eliquids are streets ahead of what was available way back when ... t'was fun, and ... it's time to put them back into the garage methinks.

IMG221417.jpg juices.jpg

hi, may I ask why you only joined this forum in 2020 ?
Hi Victor,
You may indeed ask ...
I only quit stinkies and began vaping in earnest this year, shortly before lockdown, as I had pretty much given up on the idea having been exposed to the early ineffectual, inefficient devices, and ... clearly had no common interests with this group until then.

Hi Victor,
You may indeed ask ...
I only quit stinkies and began vaping in earnest this year, shortly before lockdown, as I had pretty much given up on the idea having been exposed to the early ineffectual, inefficient devices, and ... clearly had no common interests with this group until then.

well, thank you for such an insightful reply, I hope you will now be better equipped

I will admit, you attempted vaping years before I did, nice one

well, thank you for such an insightful reply, I hope you will now be better equipped

I will admit, you attempted vaping years before I did, nice one

I think you got the better deal NOT exposing yourself to the earlier devices @vicTor

Modern MTL devices and eliquids are friggen amazing, and the transition from smoking to vaping is relatively easy nowadays particularly so with easily obtainable stinkie flavors loaded with whatever nicotine level you'd wish for ... Once I'd let go of stinkies and transitioned into vaping, the cutting back on nicotine levels and introduction of other than tobacco flavours was even easier, particularly so after my sense of smell returned and happened to walk past some smokers huddled outside a building in The Vale ... that stench ... OMG! ... and to think I used to hone like that :facepalm:

yes, that smell is horrid isn't it

I'm glad you have transitioned man, trust me it's only for the best

ps - I'm in the Vale

yes, that smell is horrid isn't it

I'm glad you have transitioned man, trust me it's only for the best

ps - I'm in the Vale

Thanks man, I'd known for some time that stinkies weren't for me, (for anyone actually), but being an addictive oral personality, needed a transition, and ... I've found it :campeon:

I'm in St.Andrews, literally down the road from The Vale ... we should meet up for a cup of coffee and a vape sometime, (I'm also a coffee/caffeine addict, and The Vale has more coffee shops per square mile than anywhere else in SA :))

Thanks man, I'd known for some time that stinkies weren't for me, (for anyone actually), but being an addictive oral personality, needed a transition, and ... I've found it :campeon:

I'm in St.Andrews, literally down the road from The Vale ... we should meet up for a cup of coffee and a vape sometime, (I'm also a coffee/caffeine addict, and The Vale has more coffee shops per square mile than anywhere else in SA :))

awesome, I'll be I touch ;)

As for me, I successfully stopped smoking with Nicorette, which one is supposed to use as a temporary measure. I chewed the cud for two years. At that time I was living in Oman and things were quite cheap, since Oman does not impose Customs Duty on imports.

When I returned to South Africa, I was horrified at how much my Nicorettes were costing me, but giving up nicotine was not (and is still not) an option. I reckoned that vaping would be considerably cheaper. Little did I know ...

How I got on to vaping I can't remember. I didn't know anyone who vaped - I hadn't even seen anyone vaping. But, there I was, Googling vape shops near me. My first mod was an Eleaf iJust Start. My first two bottles of juice were a Coffee Banana cake and a Turkish Delight.

I started with Coffee Banana and my first thought as I tasted it was, "I'm inhaling chemicals". It was awful. If that had been the only juice which I'd bought I probably would have given up on vaping.

Lucky for me, the Turkish Delight was utterly divine!

I was still chewing Nicorette during the day, but come the evening I would sit on the deck and vape and swoon with delight - pun intended.

When my Nicorettes were finished I vaped full-time and I've never looked back, much to the dismay of my bank manager.

As for me, I successfully stopped smoking with Nicorette, which one is supposed to use as a temporary measure. I chewed the cud for two years. At that time I was living in Oman and things were quite cheap, since Oman does not impose Customs Duty on imports.

When I returned to South Africa, I was horrified at how much my Nicorettes were costing me, but giving up nicotine was not (and is still not) an option. I reckoned that vaping would be considerably cheaper. Little did I know ...

How I got on to vaping I can't remember. I didn't know anyone who vaped - I hadn't even seen anyone vaping. But, there I was, Googling vape shops near me. My first mod was an Eleaf iJust Start. My first two bottles of juice were a Coffee Banana cake and a Turkish Delight.

I started with Coffee Banana and my first thought as I tasted it was, "I'm inhaling chemicals". It was awful. If that had been the only juice which I'd bought I probably would have given up on vaping.

Lucky for me, the Turkish Delight was utterly divine!

I was still chewing Nicorette during the day, but come the evening I would sit on the deck and vape and swoon with delight - pun intended.

When my Nicorettes were finished I vaped full-time and I've never looked back, much to the dismay of my bank manager.

"Chewing the cud" ... that's hillarious :meparto:. With the benefit of hindsight ... WHATEVER IT TAKES to get you off the stinkies has to be a good thing.

I'm happy for you that you made the transition off 'em, and the key I think is just that ... a transition to a new smell, (taste?), that you enjoy, as once your sense of smell kicks back in, the stench of stinkies should keep anyone far away from em' and stuck to your new vaping associations(s), (which based on your profile pic and your post are probably Coffee and Turkish delight?).

Well done! :campeon:

Thanks for the thread @Intuthu Kagesi and congrats on quitting the stinkies !

I agree, the early days equipment was not easy to stop with
Today’s devices and liquids make it so much easier and better
The only challenge is picking something given the wide range of available choices

Thanks for the thread @Intuthu Kagesi and congrats on quitting the stinkies !

I agree, the early days equipment was not easy to stop with
Today’s devices and liquids make it so much easier and better
The only challenge is picking something given the wide range of available choices

Agreed! ... I do believe that vape stores should place a greater emphasis on education and support to overcome said challenges, and in the process they'd secure a client for life with ongoing word of mouth marketing.

@Intuthu Kagesi interesting post - maybe you can edit the title to something like 'Show us your vape roots..'
Would be cool to see pics of how everyone started and their retro gear.

This was my humble start. I fished out some old pics from the '..vape family' thread.
IMG_6443.jpg

And after a year on the forum..
IMG_6406 (1).JPG

Today, only the Reo setup is still in use. But I do wish I'd kept the P3 (it found a good home though - @Andre if ever you decide to sell it on, I'd happily take it off your hands :))

@Intuthu Kagesi interesting post - maybe you can edit the title to something like 'Show us your vape roots..'
Would be cool to see pics of how everyone started and their retro gear.

This was my humble start. I fished out some old pics from the '..vape family' thread.
View attachment 211610

And after a year on the forum..
View attachment 211611

Today, only the Reo setup is still in use. But I do wish I'd kept the P3 (it found a good home though - @Andre if ever you decide to sell it on, I'd happily take it off your hands :))

That's a brilliant idea on changing the thread title @KB_314 ... Can you help changing the Title to "Show us your Vape Roots" @Silver?

Love that first pic of yours too ... I see you too indulged in them "Pseudo Ciggies", the first iteration of commercial eciggies, however looking at the rest of your loot, you seem to have persevered as apposed calling it quits as I did, until technology caught up with my requirements, along with "doekie" ensuring that I couldn't go back during those early lockdown months.

As to your second pic ... weeeeeell ... you're well down that Rabbit hole ;-)

Thanks so much @Silver :aplastao:

OK Guy's ... Show us where it all started for you ... I'd certainly love to know of others success stories leaving the stinkie domain

"Chewing the cud" ... that's hillarious :meparto:. With the benefit of hindsight ... WHATEVER IT TAKES to get you off the stinkies has to be a good thing.

I'm happy for you that you made the transition off 'em, and the key I think is just that ... a transition to a new smell, (taste?), that you enjoy, as once your sense of smell kicks back in, the stench of stinkies should keep anyone far away from em' and stuck to your new vaping associations(s), (which based on your profile pic and your post are probably Coffee and Turkish delight?).

Well done! :campeon:

Most definitely coffee @Intuthu Kagesi !!!

Shooooweeeee @Rob Fisher ... everyone else's collections pale by comparison ... that is one amazing, (and enviable), collection :number_one:
I'm particularly impressed with your woody's, (I meant the mods :-D) ... and you've just given me the incentive to build one :)

Back