Show us your vape roots

This collection of yours / your postings just keep getting better :inlove: ... I'd hazard a guess that you have a good few forum members drooling at the mouth ... I certainly am!

The only regulated REO in the world. It was fitted with a DNA40. The shape was the original REO which was taller than the REO's we know today!
Sale2016-26.jpg

The Vank Hunk Tank designed by @HPBotha! It was a fantastic and revolutionary squonker... sadly it never went further than the prototypes because the investment to production was so high for a one man band.
VanHunks01.jpg VanHunks02.jpg VanHunks03.jpg VanHunks04.jpg

I'm curious as to the physical size and weight of that itazte, as early into lockdown, with vape shops closed, a friend of mine gave me one of his old mods, a Joyetech Cuboid, (circa 2016), along with a SMOK tank, which effectively moved me from a Fetch and Fetch Pro to the domain of rebuildables.

I must say that the "preheat" function the Cuboid has is sorely missed in my Gen and GenS mods, however the Cuboid could easily double up as a weapon as weight goes, being made of steel and weighing in at some 350grams with batteries o_O, this in spite of being as compact as what it is.

Joyetech Cuboid.jpg

Right in the beginning!
View attachment 211694
Great pics @Rob Fisher brings back memories. The Nautilus, Nautilus Mini and Pro Tank Mini 3 were fantastic compared to other clearo's of the time - probably got more people off cigarettes than any other tanks. Hard to believe people used to rebuild coils for them.
Today, my struggle to find my wife the perfect low-maintenance, small, MTL setup continues. I'm honestly considering going back to the Nautilus mini - pod systems aren't lasting her more than a few months. Ordering some BVC coils next week I think.

Great pics @Rob Fisher brings back memories. The Nautilus, Nautilus Mini and Pro Tank Mini 3 were fantastic compared to other clearo's of the time - probably got more people off cigarettes than any other tanks. Hard to believe people used to rebuild coils for them.
Today, my struggle to find my wife the perfect low-maintenance, small, MTL setup continues. I'm honestly considering going back to the Nautilus mini - pod systems aren't lasting her more than a few months. Ordering some BVC coils next week I think.

The Nautilus Mini is still as relevant today as it was when it was first released. Our best friends who I never ever thought would give up smoking I managed to convert to vaping a couple of years ago and they are still using the Nautilus Mini and I doubt will ever change.

Impressive as always Doctor Rob. I spy a couple of Trinity bell caps for the Sub tank mini there, I still run one as a daily work horse, my all time favourite tank. At the risk of being cheeky do you still have them and if so would you consider selling them? I am down to my last survivor of three and would be knackered if it got broken.

Impressive as always Doctor Rob. I spy a couple of Trinity bell caps for the Sub tank mini there, I still run one as a daily work horse, my all time favourite tank. At the risk of being cheeky do you still have them and if so would you consider selling them? I am down to my last survivor of three and would be knackered if it got broken.

@Neal I wish I had some... but they all went to good homes a long time ago. :-(

I am afraid that after all of @Rob Fisher 's posts, my story will be like offering someone a Simba chip after they just had dinner at the Test Kitchen... but here goes.
The first vape I ever tried was shortly after my daughter was born.
My wife and I both quit smoking for the duration of her pregnancy, but the stress of having a 29 week preemie in ICU eventually broke us and the stinkies came out again. As someone who's dad smoked for most of my childhood, I didn't want my daughter to grow up with a dad smelling of smoke all the time.
I blindly bought an ancient little Twisp device (I forget the name, but it was a tiny little pen style early in 2015) for my wife and I to share and it was a disaster. The coils were about the size of a TicTac, filling the tank without getting an airlock and overflow required more dexterity than brain surgery and the little 10ml bottles of liquid seemed extroadinarily expensive at the time. The novelty lasted only about two weeks and we were back on the Marlboros full time.
I started smoking at age 14 and after my son was born in 2018 the looming reality of an early smoking related death started to really haunt me. I wanted to see my kids grow up and needed the change, but change was tough. I eventually got my hands on a Twisp Cue shortly after it came out (loved the idea of swapping pods instead of refilling at the time), but it never made it past the point of being a secondary option to use when smoking was impractical. In December 2018 we went down to Port Edward with my in-laws and challenged myself to use nothing but the cue for the holiday and I nearly made it, I smoked a cigarette on the last day and it was so bad that I decided to really try Vaping as a permanent replacement.

Bring on 2019 and my discovery of this awesome (and effectively life-saving) forum. I lurked around for a bit, slowly started asking questions and in March 2019 bought a Pico kit off the forum classifieds and that was all she wrote. I dumped my cigarettes on the same day I bought that device and have not touched a cigarette again.

It took a trip to Vapecon 2019 and she has been a happily dedicated vaper since then.

September 2012

I just got stubborn and said to myself that I was going to vape and not smoke. Have to admit in the beginning I asked myself many times "what the hell am I doing"

Cigalikes and then a Twisp box
191388-f7858b9e998d1f047ca718b654cc17c9.jpg
Man I used to battle my ass off with these things. However I was getting my nic fix @36 mg and developing a palette for menthol and mint. Spinners and RE4's and 5's came along
New-Vision-Spinner1300-2_wm.jpg
and I hung on in there determined now to be bloody minded and not give in to the evil stinkies. Before too long ... the mighty Pico and Kangertech bringing out some interesting tanks.
images
These along with the Mello 3 were the go to's for more years than I care to remember, all on that same 36 mg nic. A couple of mechs along the way kept things interesting.
Oddly it was a Twisp product that dragged me away from the pure MTL. My daughter kindly bought me a Twisp Vega kit. I found the draw very tight but when I opened it up, there was too much vape and too much nic. This is when the DIY exploration came in and down the rabbit hole I went head first. I can't afford high end stuff as I have commitments for what I earn, so I am patient and wait for the hype to cool down and don't mind a good clone. I have learned to build and wick along with DIY juice and am currently very comfortable with what I am capable of, which is far more since joining this forum. 8 years down the track at what started as a very uncomfortable ride but has since smoothed out nicely.

I have no regrets with this journey and sometimes the harder it is creates more value to you.

I am afraid that after all of @Rob Fisher 's posts, my story will be like offering someone a Simba chip after they just had dinner at the Test Kitchen... but here goes.
The first vape I ever tried was shortly after my daughter was born.
My wife and I both quit smoking for the duration of her pregnancy, but the stress of having a 29 week preemie in ICU eventually broke us and the stinkies came out again. As someone who's dad smoked for most of my childhood, I didn't want my daughter to grow up with a dad smelling of smoke all the time.
I blindly bought an ancient little Twisp device (I forget the name, but it was a tiny little pen style early in 2015) for my wife and I to share and it was a disaster. The coils were about the size of a TicTac, filling the tank without getting an airlock and overflow required more dexterity than brain surgery and the little 10ml bottles of liquid seemed extroadinarily expensive at the time. The novelty lasted only about two weeks and we were back on the Marlboros full time.
I started smoking at age 14 and after my son was born in 2018 the looming reality of an early smoking related death started to really haunt me. I wanted to see my kids grow up and needed the change, but change was tough. I eventually got my hands on a Twisp Cue shortly after it came out (loved the idea of swapping pods instead of refilling at the time), but it never made it past the point of being a secondary option to use when smoking was impractical. In December 2018 we went down to Port Edward with my in-laws and challenged myself to use nothing but the cue for the holiday and I nearly made it, I smoked a cigarette on the last day and it was so bad that I decided to really try Vaping as a permanent replacement.

Bring on 2019 and my discovery of this awesome (and effectively life-saving) forum. I lurked around for a bit, slowly started asking questions and in March 2019 bought a Pico kit off the forum classifieds and that was all she wrote. I dumped my cigarettes on the same day I bought that device and have not touched a cigarette again.

It took a trip to Vapecon 2019 and she has been a happily dedicated vaper since then.

I agree that Rob Fishers postings on a level are almost intimidating with his rich industry experiences and amazing kit
Be that as it may ... You made it, giving up stinkies and sharing a great success story post :b1:

September 2012

I just got stubborn and said to myself that I was going to vape and not smoke. Have to admit in the beginning I asked myself many times "what the hell am I doing"

Cigalikes and then a Twisp box
191388-f7858b9e998d1f047ca718b654cc17c9.jpg
Man I used to battle my ass off with these things. However I was getting my nic fix @36 mg and developing a palette for menthol and mint. Spinners and RE4's and 5's came along
New-Vision-Spinner1300-2_wm.jpg
and I hung on in there determined now to be bloody minded and not give in to the evil stinkies. Before too long ... the mighty Pico and Kangertech bringing out some interesting tanks.
images
These along with the Mello 3 were the go to's for more years than I care to remember, all on that same 36 mg nic. A couple of mechs along the way kept things interesting.
Oddly it was a Twisp product that dragged me away from the pure MTL. My daughter kindly bought me a Twisp Vega kit. I found the draw very tight but when I opened it up, there was too much vape and too much nic. This is when the DIY exploration came in and down the rabbit hole I went head first. I can't afford high end stuff as I have commitments for what I earn, so I am patient and wait for the hype to cool down and don't mind a good clone. I have learned to build and wick along with DIY juice and am currently very comfortable with what I am capable of, which is far more since joining this forum. 8 years down the track at what started as a very uncomfortable ride but has since smoothed out nicely.

I have no regrets with this journey and sometimes the harder it is creates more value to you.

Well done! ... You persevered on from what you call "Spinners", and I call CE4's ... It's not saying much for my staying power :crybaby2:

You are 100% on this forum too ... I have received an enormous amount of help and support from members here, and only wish I'd found it sooner!

No judgment from me, I was borderline many times and I still to this day have a small humidor with some very nice cigars in there that I hand out to my mates that still smoke when we braai. I could have reached in there many times over. It was just the knowledge that maybe I had, had my chances and no more.
Anecdotal my ass, my cardiologist results speak for them selves.

Oh yeah, while Rob was at the high end, I was way down the bottom. :)

My very first vape was those Green Leaf cigalikes but the one that got me off stinkies was the humble Twisp Clearo!
Twisp.jpg

Back