Spaced vs Compressed Coils

You are right. They do juice up faster. I put my cotton bacon very very tight in my spaced coils and they still wick very fast and I can feel a dry hit coming a mile away. I only do space coils.

You are right. They do juice up faster. I put my cotton bacon very very tight in my spaced coils and they still wick very fast and I can feel a dry hit coming a mile away. I only do space coils.
OK, so I'm not seeing things. Shot bud

They also don't burn your wick in half like compressed coils sometimes do. That's the main reason why I don't use compressed coils. I can go a very long time with my spaced coils without re-wicking because the wicks last longer.

I agree. I was rewicking every 3rd or so day, now I can go at least a week and I have not experienced any dry hits.

ey love this forum, everyday I read something that is ultra helpful - thanks for the question @Nightwalker and thanks for the awesome answers @zadiac. I wonder how the spaced clapton is going to be. Let me know please, cause I still have a helluva lot of clapton wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the flavour from compressed coils... Each to his own I guess.

I find after I have rewicked tight coils I get a slightly burnt taste for about an hour or so. I assume it's because the contact area is not able to get enough juice initially.

I only use Scottish roll and really pack it in there. What I love about Scottish roll is I never get a full dry hit, because there is so much wick, there is always some juice hidden in the middle, only just a loss of flavour or scratchyness to remind me to drip again.

If I had more space I'd run spaced...

I prefer the flavour from compressed coils... Each to his own I guess.
I can't argue. I have noticed that there is less flavour with spaced coils. But even with 3mmID, the wicking is slower when vaping

I find after I have rewicked tight coils I get a slightly burnt taste for about an hour or so. I assume it's because the contact area is not able to get enough juice initially.

I only use Scottish roll and really pack it in there. What I love about Scottish roll is I never get a full dry hit, because there is so much wick, there is always some juice hidden in the middle, only just a loss of flavour or scratchyness to remind me to drip again.

If I had more space I'd run spaced...

After dry burning/rinsing, I run some cotton through the coil to clean out any black stuff before rewicking.

After dry burning/rinsing, I run some cotton through the coil to clean out any black stuff before rewicking.

Makes sense will definitely try that, always focus on the outside but never the inside.
I do get the burnt taste even with new coils though but learnt a new trick from a friend today... Pushed some juice through the coil and wet the contact area of the cotton before jamming it in and made a huge difference!

Makes sense will definitely try that, always focus on the outside but never the inside.
I do get the burnt taste even with new coils though but learnt a new trick from a friend today... Pushed some juice through the coil and wet the contact area of the cotton before jamming it in and made a huge difference!
;( but I showed that to everyone on my Griffin wicking tutorial, no one ever reads my stuff. Lol

Random question as I am about to start my first RTA mission. I have been reading a LOT in the last few days so I might be wrong, but somebody suggested vacuum priming wicks and as far as I recall this was to speed up wicking and make it completely even. No air gaps so the law of adhesion has full effect. Would this not be the solution then to get a best of both scenario? Compressed coils with vacuum primed cotton? Because that is the impression I had until I read through this thread now I am just confused again lol...

Random question as I am about to start my first RTA mission. I have been reading a LOT in the last few days so I might be wrong, but somebody suggested vacuum priming wicks and as far as I recall this was to speed up wicking and make it completely even. No air gaps so the law of adhesion has full effect. Would this not be the solution then to get a best of both scenario? Compressed coils with vacuum primed cotton? Because that is the impression I had until I read through this thread now I am just confused again lol...

The Vacuum priming was to do with the ceramic coils I'm sure... they are a ***** to prime!

I always do that. What we debating is the constant juice to wick speed ratio.. Pls pls always "vacum" your wicks. Nothing ruins your mood than a freshly burnt wick

The Vacuum priming was to do with the ceramic coils I'm sure... they are a ***** to prime!
Rob, the dolphin coil actually almost juices itself. I never have had a problem, I can't speak to other ceramic coils though

I started with only compressed and have now moved over to spaced due to the longer life of the wick, but i suppose it depends on the mood i'm in.

Back