SS flat Clapton 316l

@Friep have you not got some advice for us pls

Sent from my Venue 7 HSPA+ using Tapatalk

The good thing is, I can now check ohms before I use them with the vandy vape pulse. Running single coil, 8 wraps, 0.26

@Friep have you not got some advice for us pls

Thank you for your trust in me @Resistance I am by no means even good with coils lol but will assist where i can always.

With my limited experience with ss wire(only 26ga round wire). The flavour is good it gives me the same experience as ni80 ramp up is quick. The only draw back i have with ss is that the resistance changes when the wire gets hot. Normally 0.1 to 0.2 ohms that it will increase and then back down when it cools. On a regulated mod that locks the ohms this is a bit sucky.

To increase ohms a bit for it to read biger id and more wraps and then dry burning normally increases ohms a bit.

If you can get it to fire when it's hot you can put it on the kanger tech and it will lock to those ohms then you can check for hotspots ect.

I can also second the idea of the deadulus. Makes coil building less expensive and more fun and is extremely easy to do claptons ect.

Cost wise to make some fused claptons will cost you r100 for 40ga or 38ga 100ft wire then for cores 28ga 100ft at r200 so basically for r300 you can build quite a few coils from that after your initial investment of r950 for the deadulus.

I haven't had a metallic taste from ss before was this after the oxidation experiment?
I have had metallic taste from ni80 but switching to kidney puncher solved that for me.

I haven't had a metallic taste from ss before was this after the oxidation experiment?
I have had metallic taste from ni80 but switching to kidney puncher solved that for me.
Now I never had any weird or bad tastes since switching to SS. But everything else and even pretend made could gave me that. Thanks @Friep for adding value to this thread

I wanted to use it on my mech squonker, the vandy vape pulse, but could only get the ohms at the right level using single coil cause it needed a lot of wraps...I think it's brilliant wire when it comes to ramp up etc...and with some more practice I know I'll get out of it what I'm looking for.

I wanted to use it on my mech squonker, the vandy vape pulse, but could only get the ohms at the right level using single coil cause it needed a lot of wraps...I think it's brilliant wire when it comes to ramp up etc...and with some more practice I know I'll get out of it what I'm looking for.
single coil produces epic flavour and can produce a lot of vapour aswell. Single coil also helps with the ohms. I am glad if you came right. Building your own coils just provides satisfaction on a different level.
Have you tried normal round wire in different gauges and also parallel coils and twisted coils and fishtail braid they are not to difficult to do and provides something differnt. Have a look at this thread for a few ideas and tutorials: https://www.ecigssa.co.za/coils-crafted-by-hand.t42630/

No news yet.did you give up or are you still experimenting

Sent from my X30 using Tapatalk

So I decided to add coil wire building to my list of DIY things and bought a cordless drill last week (1st powertool I've ever owned). Got a big spool of 36g Nichrome and small 24g Nichrome. Most importantly I watched about 7000 tutorials on Clapton building. The tension is something I struggled with so I made a spool tamer type of thingy and kapow, Claptons no longer a problem. Even made a fused Clapton last night, for a 1st time build I'm quite happy with it.
Since 17:00 this afternoon I have been trying my hand at Aliens....whole different kettle of fish (I will rather not post a pic) Is this something that just needs practice or is there perhaps a nifty little trick that could make this as easy as the Claptons with a tamer?
20180408_235614.jpg 20180408_235408.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I decided to add coil wire building to my list of DIY things and bought a cordless drill last week (1st powertool I've ever owned). Got a big spool of 36g Nichrome and small 24g Nichrome. Most importantly I watched about 7000 tutorials on Clapton building. The tension is something I struggled with so I made a spool tamer type of thingy and kapow, Claptons no longer a problem. Even made a fused Clapton last night, for a 1st time build I'm quite happy with it.
Since 17:00 this afternoon I have been trying my hand at Aliens....whole different kettle of fish (I will rather not post a pic) Is this something that just needs practice or is there perhaps a nifty little trick that could make this as easy as the Claptons with a tamer?View attachment 128356 View attachment 128356 View attachment 128357
That spool tamer thing looks nice please tell us more. Those claptons look awesome.
What are you using for your aliens 24ga and 36 ga?

Basically with the aliens the prep is the key everything needs to be nice and stable and parallel. When thats done you need to check the stretch in your decore a great tip @Greyz tought me is to strech the decore until it looks like litle 90 degree bends pm me your WhatsApp number and I will send you some photos that might make this clear.
Then what ga wire do you use to make your clapton for your decore. What i am currently doing is if i am aliening 2x 26ga i clapton around 28ga for my decore i found out that if i make 2 x 28ga and clapton with 28ga the wraps are a bit loose. But when i go to 3 x 28ga claptoning a 28ga works 100% so if you are using the 24ga for your decore you will need to have 3 x 24 for your core if that makes sense.
There is no trick although watching youtube vids helps alot.
With aliens practice is key and like @Christos thought me if you can do a few attempts in one session wille the mistakes are still fresh in your mind then it will go well.
The tension you put on the decore wire is also important but this depends on your strech if it's just right you will need less pressure if it's under stretched more pressure is needed. The angle is also important the closer you can get to 90 degrees when wrapping the tighter they will be and if you lead them by 5% or a bit more they will be a bit spaced but still vapeable.

With all this said my alien skills still suck and I am working on them just keep at it you will get there.

@Friep thank you for the detailed and very informative response, answered a lot of the questions I didn't even know how to ask. Lol. My prep work takes up 90% of my build, I prep for hours on end before I start, my problem is tension and stretch (and now I know this goes hand in hand) first attempt tension was to much and my wires twisted. 2nd attempt 50% of the coil way to lose 10% just a complete stuff up and the other 40 I feel was okayish. I definitely understretched by miles. Also found that I actually get better results when running the drill a tad faster than most tutorials recommend for beginners. I use 28g for the cores and 36g for the decor. Thanks to your post I also now know that I didn't have enough decor to begin with.
Pm sent, thanks for all the help Friep.

That spool tamer thing looks nice please tell us more. Those claptons look awesome.
What are you using for your aliens 24ga and 36 ga?
The tamer is very simple, it's something you'll see used mostly by fishermen.
It consists of the following :
10mm elastic band used in sewing.
Plastic tubing for the inside
Heat shrink tubing to hold everything together. Go for 9mm or larger.

Measure the elastic band around your spool, just long enough so that 2 ends meet without stretching.
Cut about 5mm of plasting tubing and superglue the elastic bands to it.then cover the band and tube with the heat shrink tubing. I use a screwdriver to make sure the holes remain open when I apply heat, because your plastic tubing will close shut during the process without it.
Cheap, strong and it works perfectly.
1523238766888-1108771204.jpg

@Friep thank you for the detailed and very informative response, answered a lot of the questions I didn't even know how to ask. Lol. My prep work takes up 90% of my build, I prep for hours on end before I start, my problem is tension and stretch (and now I know this goes hand in hand) first attempt tension was to much and my wires twisted. 2nd attempt 50% of the coil way to lose 10% just a complete stuff up and the other 40 I feel was okayish. I definitely understretched by miles. Also found that I actually get better results when running the drill a tad faster than most tutorials recommend for beginners. I use 28g for the cores and 36g for the decor. Thanks to your post I also now know that I didn't have enough decor to begin with.
Pm sent, thanks for all the help Friep.
Glad if it could help it sucks to run out of decore...
Also forgot to say your hand that applies the tension on your decore needs to be a bit further away 30cm +- or i keepvmy hand close to my chest don't know why this works but the extra distance helps alot.

It has to do with the natural movement of the decor wire, the more space you give it the more time it has to move in its natural way (According to Merk)

Since 17:00 this afternoon I have been trying my hand at Aliens....whole different kettle of fish (I will rather not post a pic) Is this something that just needs practice or is there perhaps a nifty little trick that could make this as easy as the Claptons with a tamer?
View attachment 128356 View attachment 128357
Thats a cool idea.you run the wire through the hoop.A for your project

Sent from my X30 using Tapatalk

well done there @Steyn777 !

Glad to see someone using this method with the spool tamers.I have been doing it this way for a year or so and it's like magic.With practice you should be making fused Claptons,Aliens and the lot.Good luck. P.S. I would try the Fused Claptons before the Aliens to work your way up.

Glad to see someone using this method with the spool tamers.I have been doing it this way for a year or so and it's like magic.With practice you should be making fused Claptons,Aliens and the lot.Good luck. P.S. I would try the Fused Claptons before the Aliens to work your way up.
Oh with the tamers Claptons arena breeze. Aliens is a ×@#$% so movednon to staggered.

Oh with the tamers Claptons arena breeze. Aliens is a ×@#$% so movednon to staggered.
Yeah,Aliens are tough but I'm rolling out Claptons and fused Claptons like an assembly line. I've given up on the more exotic coils.My patients are thin and my CSS gives me fits.But really a good fused or regular Clapton is about as good as it gets imo.

Yeah,Aliens are tough but I'm rolling out Claptons and fused Claptons like an assembly line. I've given up on the more exotic coils.My patients are thin and my CSS gives me fits.But really a good fused or regular Clapton is about as good as it gets imo.
If claptons is no issue then try the staggered. So far it's the best flavour coil I've tried and it's really not difficult once you get the spacing done.

Back