Rob Fisher

ECIGSSA Admin
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
FINES MASTER
LV

Awards
Having wicked my Manta a few times it was just lacking something so I thought it would be a good time to try Stainless Steel coils. SS316L 26g. Dual coils 2,5mm diam 7 wraps. Came out at 0.26Ω

Normally I'm happy at 1Ω but I'm starting to enjoy dual coils in tanks so I tried a sub ohm build in the Manta! Brilliant flavour which is what I'm after. The journey of discovery continues and much flavour and clouds with it!

SS 001.JPG

Time to start experimenting with Stainless Steel!

I'm also starting my SS journey and thus far I'm not enjoying the heat generated from the low ohm coils.

Currently I'm at .3 ohms in the cyclone with 6 wraps.

Flavour is very good but that's mostly the cyclone and the cloud production is worthy of some rainfall!

If SS has taught me anything it's correct placement of coils in the cyclone high up with proper airflow below the coils!

Great stuff @Rob Fisher and @Christos
Good to hear about the SS. Lots of things i now have to include in my vaping 'to do list'

Great stuff @Rob Fisher and @Christos
Good to hear about the SS. Lots of things i now have to include in my vaping 'to do list'
I just got into this part of my to do list. Getting a weird metallic taste from this wire. Am I not supposed to dry burn it at all? Or is there a special prep process like there is with the ti wire (torching and cleaning). So far havnt got a clean crisp vape at all.

I just got into this part of my to do list. Getting a weird metallic taste from this wire. Am I not supposed to dry burn it at all? Or is there a special prep process like there is with the ti wire (torching and cleaning). So far havnt got a clean crisp vape at all.

I dry burnt mine like normal... haven't had a funny taste yet... so far so good!

I put UD stainless 316L 26g dual in my cthulhu v2 and billow v2 nano and both times I didn't finish the tank before going back to kanthal. Flavour to me is better on kanthal, and I get a metallic taste on SS.
Will try again and run a tank or 2 through to see if it improves.

I put UD stainless 316L 26g dual in my cthulhu v2 and billow v2 nano and both times I didn't finish the tank before going back to kanthal. Flavour to me is better on kanthal, and I get a metallic taste on SS.

I get a rich warm vape at 0,26 Ohms with the SS Coils.... maybe I need to try the same low resistance with Kanthal and see if I get the same flavour. This low resistance coils thing is all new territory for me!

I find the SS a lot easier to work with than kanthal.
I make a coil and then fire and squeeze to make it glow from the inside out. The same process as kanthal.

I found an odd metallic taste initially but it went away. Perhaps I got used to it as it was a different vape compared with kanthal.

I also want to compare ss and kanthal on the same resistance and same wicking. Kanthal is 0.5 ohm, SS was on 0.26, same as Rob's coils in OP. That might give me a better idea. And also run 2 tanks at least on the SS to see if the metal taste dissapear

Hey guys. I am so glad to see this SS thread. I thought of building with 316l 30g wire single coils on the RM2 on the Reo mini...... Any suggestions?

Hey guys. I am so glad to see this SS thread. I thought of building with 316l 30g wire single coils on the RM2 on the Reo mini...... Any suggestions?

I cant advise you @Petrus, but keen to hear the outcome of this...
Please let us know

Id also be keen to try ss on a dna200. Doesnt seem as if the sx handles this wire too well. Used the tcr settings provided by @Andre in another post. Theres a constant spike and drop in power throughout one pull. But the metallic taste was quite prominent. Im sure im doing something wrong here...

I was looking for a reason to @ andre ;) he always seems to explain what I need to know....

First SS build tonight. Incedentally the same coils as rob but in in the billow v2.
SS is super easy to work with.

I cleaned the ss with some vodca first. No metal taste at all.
It was hot tho. Feel as though the tc didnt kick in. Flavor is very very good.

Heat not so nice.

Just built a dual coil in the vortice.

3mm ID
316 SS
28AWG
10 wraps

.4 ohms

Flavour is very good.
Better than kanthal and no strange taste.
The heat is not a big issue in this atty as the airflow is quite good.

Feels like I'm sucking air but vapour comes out.

Must just add that I need to try SS in the derringer but I'm losing hope for the atty.

Waiting for my SS wire to arrive from SA Vape Gear - probably tomorrow - then I will try it in the Billow V2 and Goblin Mini.
Getting used to the TC on the VTC mini, compared to the Subox it is quite a different hit. But then the Ego One Tank isn't what I'm used to at all.

I'm enjoy the dual stainless steel coils in my Manta so I decided to build a single coil in a Cyclone... 1,9mm coil, 8 wraps 26g SS316L came to 0,44Ω. Cyclone on a Woodvil with Tropical Ice... it's early days still but the flavour is pretty damn good and the vape is warmer than my normal 1Ω kanthal coil and I'm enjoying it. Will vape it for a while but so far so good!
SS 003.JPG

I'm enjoy the dual stainless steel coils in my Manta so I decided to build a single coil in a Cyclone... 1,9mm coil, 8 wraps 26g SS316L came to 0,44Ω. Cyclone on a Woodvil with Tropical Ice... it's early days still but the flavour is pretty damn good and the vape is warmer than my normal 1Ω kanthal coil and I'm enjoying it. Will vape it for a while but so far so good!
View attachment 39006

lol @Rob Fisher, you and your crazy low ohm builds :rolleyes:

Is anyone actually trying to TC with SS?

Not much of winning with that at the moment :S

View attachment 39006

I recall someone telling me I'm insane? :rolleyes: *cough*you too*cough* :p

Am using it with TC in my GEM with good effect: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/stainless-steel-builds.t15823/

Thanks for the info.

The VTC Mini is not playing well with SS in temp mode.
It locks up TC SS with protection mode after a couple of tugs.
Then I tried Ti mode at 100F lower than normal to offset. This worked nicely.
But again after a while it just keeps kicking me into power mode.
It refuses to go into TC mode even after i pulled the battery.
I've heard similar reports from other VTC Mini users wrt SS.

I've now given up and am using it in power mode. Works fine, taste fine, but disappointed with the lack of TC.

Thanks for the info.

The VTC Mini is not playing well with SS in temp mode.
It locks up TC SS with protection mode after a couple of tugs.
Then I tried Ti mode at 100F lower than normal to offset. This worked nicely.
But again after a while it just keeps kicking me into power mode.
It refuses to go into TC mode even after i pulled the battery.
I've heard similar reports from other VTC Mini users wrt SS.

I've now given up and am using it in power mode. Works fine, taste fine, but disappointed with the lack of TC.
Does it have a dedicated SS mode or do you have to manually input the TCR?

Back