Swearing...

Lol. Don't get me wrong, I can swear like a trooper. But in "general" terms, regular swearing is an indication of a lack if vocabulary and not necessarily of one with "low" intellect, but rather the converse: The assertion is that: "One of the signs of an intelligent person is that; they refrain from swearing."

I mean how intelligent would it be to swear during your job interview? Having said that, if using the f word is done tactfully, it is acceptable. F#@k can also be used constructively and "intelligetly"...to create humour and many other delightful expressions.

An interesting debate. ...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I have never felt the need to use swear words here (as far as I can recall). English has more than enough other words to express oneself.

That said, if others feel the need, it does not really bother me unless it is really excessive or becomes personal.
so in other words... you don't give a **** 8--)

No comments? That bad? Not my best joke for the day... Can only get better from here I guess

To be fair... I think that is pirate language and not sailor langaunge. Sailor language would contain something along the lines of "load the cannons!", or "something something poopdeck". :p:rofl:

Swearing on a forum is unnecessary, pointless and can be seen as an emotional crutch, there's more than enough time to compose exactly what you want to convey.
However, in direct contrast... when holding a conversation in "reality", it takes a certain level of skill and intelligence to source the right obscenity to add the appropriate color and emotion to your "verbal Picasso".
Constant use of obscenities is like white washing a vibracrete fence, even the village idiot can do it.

To be fair... I think that is pirate language and not sailor langaunge. Sailor language would contain something along the lines of "load the cannons!", or "something something poopdeck". :p:rofl:

Yip, picked up on the whole pirate thing after I posted. Aaah well, shit happens I guess.

I'd like to add the following, just as an afterthought

On the topic of swearing in a face to face conversation. In my opinion, comedy (especially stand up) is littered with swearing and profanity. Yet, there are millions of people around the world that enjoy the shows. I don't agree with the opinion (many have voiced in this thread) that swearing is ANY indicator of intelligence. However I suppose I have come across some people that definitively use curtain words more than they should, and I simply don't enjoy having a conversation with them.

Take into account: Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr. Two very notable comedians that make regular and excessive use of swearing and profanity as part of their act. I thoroughly enjoy their material, and don't mind their foul-mouth ways at all. Furthermore, I feel that Jimmy Carr in particular is a very intelligent individual.

But, I don't want to start any fights. After all this is a debate and not an attack :p

I was also wondering if swearing is or isn’t allowed on this forum. I prefer to keep it out of my own posts, personally, but I have nothing against those who do choose to swear (unless it’s excessive and/or directed at me).

Back