Sx350 Box Mod

Josh M

New Vaper
LV

Awards
So my intention when ordering the sx350 chip was to go all out and get a box CNC'd out of billet aluminium... However, when I got it, I might have been to impatient for that. So went to the local hobby shop and bought some 2mm Birch Plywood, and a momentary switch, couldn't find a M7 x 0.5 tap, so just used an old ego adapter that was lying around, and made this:IMG_20140607_041835.jpg IMG_20140607_042156.jpg IMG_20140607_042206.jpg IMG-20140607-WA0000.jpg IMG-20140607-WA0002.jpg IMG-20140607-WA0006.jpg IMG-20140607-WA0008.jpg

I like that weathered look, and appreciate the old hi-fi in the background pics too.
If I managed to make a box like that from nothing, I would be pretty proud too! good job.

Thanks man! I never mentioned the time it took, I was building from about 7Pm to 4am. It was a mission to make everything fit inside and still keep good insulation, yet still keeping it smaller then the Hana Modz v3. I also had to pull out an old laptop from the attic to do the 35W upgrade as all the PC's in the house are running Windows 8.1 and the drivers only work on Vista and Windows 7 (I tried everything to get it to work, ran as administrator, ran in compatibility mode, downloaded previous versions of Visual C++, NOTHING worked).

Lol, I did the Burred finish with my soldering iron...

Ps, The radio you see is actually the amp for my turn table, which is currently playing Dark Side of the Moon, by Pink Floyd

I just love the rustic look and thanks for the reminder; haven't listen to my Pink Floyd collection for decades1

that looks aweaome dude

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk HD

That is simply stunning! I wish I was handy like that! I'm always so impressed when people build stuff like that! It's a thing of beauty!

Its not even the final product, I plan on ordering some 510 connectors from FatDaddyVapes, and using Slightly thicker Birch Plywood (2mm is fine, sturdy, but I'll be more comfortable with 3mm). I also want to try make it a bit smaller (if possible). And trying to find some of those small steel dome buttons as used on the Hana, looks like I'll have to import them with the 510 connectors.

Would have been nice to have tried a RDA on it, but once again there were postage issues...

Its not even the final product, I plan on ordering some 510 connectors from FatDaddyVapes, and using Slightly thicker Birch Plywood (2mm is fine, sturdy, but I'll be more comfortable with 3mm). I also want to try make it a bit smaller (if possible). And trying to find some of those small steel dome buttons as used on the Hana, looks like I'll have to import them with the 510 connectors.

Those buttons are locally available at: http://za.rs-online.com/web/ search part no: 102-383

very nicely done , very very impressive .

well done

Those buttons are locally available at: http://za.rs-online.com/web/ search part no: 102-383

DARN'T!!! I could swear I browsed the rs-online site for an hour looking at components, and never found this...
then again, I would have had to order them prior to receiving the chip, cause I would not have been able to wait until Monday to build it

Well done mate, busy with a mech mod project but the chips on sale are making me itch!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Mighty fine work. Currently wishing I went the wood route - aluminium is a real ***** to work.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Impressive work @Josh M !
Well done

Wow, nicely done!
Would you mind taking her clothes off so we can see inside, please?

I would love to send a photo of its gizzards, I regret not taking photos while I was building it, but the wires are soldered directly on to the battery contacts, and since this is just a prototype, I decided to just glue the back panel on... in about 2 weeks or so when I receive new 510 connector from the UK, I will take photos of this one with the back panel removed, along with photos of the new one.

Thanks a lot Chef Guest, its just the prototype though. Still want to either make my own 510 connector or get one of the FatDaddyVapes connectors.

the next one will be made with 3mm Birch instead of 2mm, and i think i will have the wood laser cut.

Back