The cost of vaping clarification

Vaping is NOT cheaper than smoking, but I didn't quit smoking because of the cost, but for the health benefits. I don't care what my vaping costs me. If it was 10% safer than smoking, then it's still a bargain!
That is very true. It's the exact reason I got into this. But at the same time I know that I have other things I must save for.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Just need to find a decent supplier of the juice bases and concentrates. I'm a simple fruity flavour type person and I'm also thinking of trying a 0mg juice to see if I still get what I need. And as for the tank, there is always the second hand section of the classifieds

Have a look at our E-Liquid Section or the Fruit Recipes Section.
I can Recommend The Flavor Mill and BLCK Vapor for DIY Supplies. But there are a few more in our Vendor Section

The Classifieds Section here on the forum is great, people here generally take good care of their goods so you wont buy a crappy deal like on gumtree or the other Classified sites.

Enjoy!

It seems that everyone is sayin the same thing, which is making me feel kinda bad haha. But the only reason I would think of replacing my tank is to be able to easily build ny own coils which is just not working on the mini rba. And the current toptank is just literally leaking everywhere. Like I cannot get it to stop. And it really frustrates you when all it does is leak the whole time.

I have a little fomo in the sens I want to be able to generate a litle more vapour than I currently do just for that extra hit. Currently vaping on 25w and I only empty my tank every one day and like every morning. But once the tank heats up the vapour production decreases...

So yeah I guess I'm just trying to find something I can stick to and not want to replace. But seems like the mod size coul become a problem

I was stuck on a 22mm Pico for 6 months. There are some really good 22mm RTAs out there but most of the new stuff is 24mm/25mm. I suggest going to the Vape Meet in Cape Town (which is soon) and checking out what some of the other guys have in terms of 22mm RTAs. Also buy second hand if you aren't sure. Usually around 60% of the cost of buying new and if you don't like it you can resell and keep trying. If you do like it but it has some drawbacks then learn what they are and look for something that you know is going to solve those problems for you and buy that (new or second hand).

@Dietz the screen displayed the regular 9.999 ohms which it does when the tank is removed and put back on again, a mechanism to help he ohm detector. However, this time it just kept flashing the same 9.999 and didn't want to read it. Hopefully it does not mean that my 510 thread is damaged andbjust that the tank was too wide or something similar.

.Thanx very much to everyone here. I have a nice goal to work towards in the next few months. Just need to find a decent supplier of the juice bases and concentrates. I'm a simple fruity flavour type person and I'm also thinking of trying a 0mg juice to see if I still get what I need. And as for the tank, there is always the second hand section of the classifieds

Can highly recommend The Flavour Mill.

I was also strapped for cash when I started DIYing. I found one recipe that looked good. It required 4 concentrates. It wasn't the best but I made 300ml at 6mg and vaped it for 6 weeks. Had loads of ingredients left over for the next batch. Chose another two recipes and bought more concentrates.

First month: R400
Second month: R350

NB: Did not include scale

Then I prioritised spending on DIY ingredients and stuck with the hardware I had for a few months to build up my stock of concentrates. The bulk of my spend for the past few months has been DIY ingredients. For around R400 per month for 9 months I can now make tonnes of stuff and have juice for days!

Even if you start with R1000 at the end of the month it will probably get you:

1. DIY supplies for R500
2. New 22mm atty for R400
3. Coil building supplies for R100 (some places sell wire by the meter)

Only catch is you will need to wait for juice to steep! Although if fruit recipes are your thing then steep time is usually minimal.

Im one of those who actually save with vaping. I used to smoke a lot, around R1000 worth of cigs a month. I currently spend R500 a month on vape stuff. I DIY and build my own coils, and I do vape A LOT.
I also only buy a mod and tank once a year (currently using a iPower and SM22), so basically only when the mod or tank gives in. Not that I would love to have a new setup every month, but my reasons to quit stinkies were for health and finance reasons, and im sticking to it

Look after your batteries and they will last, I have two sets that are roughly 10 months and some change old, still in daily rotation.

If you start to DIY juices (highly recommend for saving money) I can recommend a nice 4 day steep fruity recipe - Sucker Punch clone. It has 3 ingredients so your startup will be low ( you just have to buy Dragon fruit at 30ml for 200ml mix) if you are going to make a large quantity (200ml) you can save money by rather buying syringes first. You just need nic (if you want) PG and VG. @Dietz might be able to give his 2 cents on this recipe (available online). I agree with the vendors he has also listed, their delivery is immaculate.

Last edited:
Look after your batteries and they will last, I have two sets that are roughly 10 months and some change old, still in daily rotation.
I bought myself the nitecore 2 bay charger because I realised how important it is to keep your batteries in good condition. If it's even slightly compromised it coukd cost you your face or worse and me being a secrective vaper, imagine me trying to explain to parents that something I used to not smoke blew up in my face... too much drama. Plus my SO would kill me if I survived hahaha

It seems that everyone is sayin the same thing, which is making me feel kinda bad haha. But the only reason I would think of replacing my tank is to be able to easily build ny own coils which is just not working on the mini rba. And the current toptank is just literally leaking everywhere. Like I cannot get it to stop. And it really frustrates you when all it does is leak the whole time.

I have a little fomo in the sens I want to be able to generate a litle more vapour than I currently do just for that extra hit. Currently vaping on 25w and I only empty my tank every one day and like every morning. But once the tank heats up the vapour production decreases...

So yeah I guess I'm just trying to find something I can stick to and not want to replace. But seems like the mod size coul become a problem

Try playing around with your wicking a bit more. It can be tricky at first with that RBA as too much will definitely go dry, and too little will leak. You just need to make sure the little juice holes on the side are mostly covered.

I never tried the Toptank, but the one that came before it, the Subtank, is still the ONLY tank that I use everyday. Try giving the tank a good clean, and replacing the o-rings if you have spare, if not, sometimes just re-aligning them will help.

Try playing around with your wicking a bit more. It can be tricky at first with that RBA as too much will definitely go dry, and too little will leak. You just need to make sure the little juice holes on the side are mostly covered.

I never tried the Toptank, but the one that came before it, the Subtank, is still the ONLY tank that I use everyday. Try giving the tank a good clean, and replacing the o-rings if you have spare, if not, sometimes just re-aligning them will help.
6a06f0db4a1c20810c7ea6bbc0a2003a.jpg

This what the last setup in my mini rba looks like. I wanted a 0.4 ohm wrap to be able to put a little nore wattage through it and create a little more vapour but somehow it leaked half the tank out and then spat out a little less than a third of what was left in the tank. It slightly turned the cotton brown after one pull. I really know my wrapping skill sucka but it just wasn't a good experience and has deterred me somewhat to try again.

t I'm loving under my parent's roof as lodging is too expensive with my current salary and they don't really know that I smoked or that I vape now. So the fact that I have to be secretive about everything makes it twice as bad and difficult.

But I appreciate the response. Will just have to see how it goes

Can highly recommend The Flavour Mill.

I was also strapped for cash when I started DIYing. I found one recipe that looked good. It required 4 concentrates. It wasn't the best but I made 300ml at 6mg and vaped it for 6 weeks. Had loads of ingredients left over for the next batch. Chose another two recipes and bought more concentrates.

First month: R400
Second month: R350

NB: Did not include scale

Then I prioritised spending on DIY ingredients and stuck with the hardware I had for a few months to build up my stock of concentrates. The bulk of my spend for the past few months has been DIY ingredients. For around R400 per month for 9 months I can now make tonnes of stuff and have juice for days!

Even if you start with R1000 at the end of the month it will probably get you:

1. DIY supplies for R500
2. New 22mm atty for R400
3. Coil building supplies for R100 (some places sell wire by the meter)

Only catch is you will need to wait for juice to steep! Although if fruit recipes are your thing then steep time is usually minimal.

Shake n Vape brutha!!!

If you start to DIY juices (highly recommend for saving money) I can recommend a nice 4 day steep fruity recipe - Sucker Punch clone. It has 3 ingredients so your startup will be low ( you just have to buy Dragon fruit at 30ml for 200ml mix) if you are going to make a large quantity (200ml) you can save money by rather buying syringes first. You just need nic (if you want) PG and VG. @Dietz might be able to give his 2 cents on this recipe (available online). I agree with the vendors he has also listed, their delivery is immaculate.
Sucker Punch Is AWEEEEESOME!!! If you like Sherbet!! @Bunnypoison still owes us 800mls Each :rofl::rofl::rofl:
But its not for Everyone, Take @craigb for instance, he does not like it much.

After reading through the posts, I assume that I can't calculate. For me personally, vaping still works out way cheaper than smoking. BUT, I have to add: (1) I use a good quality squonker + RDA and don't buy every new fad device that are waved in me face. (2) Coil and wick self. (4) Vaping is not my hobby, it just keep me off the wrong stuff. (3) Vape 80% of the time self mixed unflavored e-liquid as I tend to vape mindlessly. Long waffle short; at the minute vaping still works out cheaper than smoking cost me 3 year ago.

@johan, if you're in Ireland, that's a major factor as well. SA remains one of the cheapest countries in the world to smoke.

I must actually say that I am very worried when I finally move to the uk, if I ever do what it's going to cost me there... probably going to have to give up the whole shabang

@johan, if you're in Ireland, that's a major factor as well. SA remains one of the cheapest countries in the world to smoke.

3 Years ago I spent R2000+ per month in SA on smoke related stuff (cigarettes, pipe tobacco, cigars etc) and even buying vape related consumables here locally in Euros and/or British pounds, I still don't get close to that amount per month (even factoring in the odd high end RDA).

The cost of cigarettes in the UK is staggering. Currently, a pack of 20 (at today's exchange rate) is around R150.

We pay very little in sin taxes compared to the UK. Almost their entire retail cost of GBP9.60 for a pack of 20 is sin taxes. And they reckon that cigs in the UK may cost GBP15 a pack by 2020. In Aus, they are projecting Aus$40 per pack by 2020. That is a whisker under R400 a pack. :eek:

Just caught up on this thread now

@Mender31 , hang in there. You are doing great because you gave up the stinkies!
And also for checking up with the other members here on the cost issue and asking for ways to reduce the cost.

If you want to keep costs down, as the other members have said:
  • try get a good device that works well for you (keep your existing setup as a backup). This may take some time and research. I would say a good dual battery mod and good flavour rebuildable RTA is a great way to go.
  • Make your own coils - its easy
  • and try find a cheaper alternative for a main "workhorse" vape juice. Either buy a well priced commercial 18mg juice and dilute it with PG/VG (like I do) or make a good DIY juice that you like. Even just adding a few drops of menthol to an unflavoured PG/VG/nic base may be all you need.
Everyone values vaping differently. Some see it as a means to an end altogether. Some just as a way to stop smoking. For some it becomes a hobby.

But the main thing is stopping the stinkies. I believe vaping is FAR healthier than smoking and am always grateful that I found it when I did. The cost of a smoking related disease later in life is far more (both financially and emotionally) than the cost of vaping for most of us. So just by stopping smoking I think you are winning the long-run game.

6a06f0db4a1c20810c7ea6bbc0a2003a.jpg

This what the last setup in my mini rba looks like. I wanted a 0.4 ohm wrap to be able to put a little nore wattage through it and create a little more vapour but somehow it leaked half the tank out and then spat out a little less than a third of what was left in the tank. It slightly turned the cotton brown after one pull. I really know my wrapping skill sucka but it just wasn't a good experience and has deterred me somewhat to try again.

Hi @Mender31, Looking at the picture, I see you have a rather exotic build in there for that type of rba. Still use my TTM regularly for tobacco juices for which its somewhat restricted airflow is just perfect. My coil builds are however plain and simple. Using ordinary SS AWG 26 or Kanthal AWG 26 wire and aim for about 0.7 and 1.0 ohm resistance respectively. @Stosta may also be able to give better advice on builds for these RBA's but from my experience simple is better in these tanks.

The subtank style tanks are however really awesome especially considering that they come from a different time and have survived the test of time. Whatever you do, never get rid of it.

Regards

Thanks for the tag @Raindance , not sure how I missed this thread!

Definitely agree that a simple build would work best in here. I use a 7 wrap 26g NI80 coil, but really anything around the 0.5 to 1 ohm range works really well in these tanks! You're going to battle to get a low build like (in terms of the few number of wraps I mean) that working effectively in there.

Back