The cost of vaping clarification

Mender31

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hello all.

Now I've only been vaping for about 6 months and there are a many things about my mod and setup that is bothering me and I'd like to fix. But the main thing that I have noticed is that vaping is not necessarily a cheaper option. I was the type of smoker that I would smoke a box in a week and only when going out did I ever finish a pack but because I also shared a lot. Now that was expensive but at the same time it currently feels like I'm apending about 3 times more than I did when I smoked. This is something I really didn't know when I started.

What I would like to know is if this is normal and just something you have to bear with or is there things you can do about this. I'm currently spending about 500 to 600 a month. I assune that this is very little but I would just like to see comparisons with other people. I am looking to maybe replace my setup in a while however my SO does not think this is a good idea seeing as I paid 1500 in total to begin with excluding my juice and coils... I just need a bit of clarification

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Heh! Heh! "Vaping is cheaper than smoking" is the biggest con in the game :tongueclosed:

The amounts that you're spending aren't too extreme @Mender31. You could save a bit by building your own coils as the commercial coils are generally inferior and way more expensive than making your own. The biggest expense I would assume would be your juice. Unfortunately, the only way to save on this is to spend more! Making your own juice is way cheaper in the long run, but has a high startup cost.

But like all things vaping - it can become a bottomless pit of constantly upgrading and trying to get more and get better and searching for that holy grail of the perfect setup/juice. Cool heads are required :wink:

Hello all.

Now I've only been vaping for about 6 months and there are a many things about my mod and setup that is bothering me and I'd like to fix. But the main thing that I have noticed is that vaping is not necessarily a cheaper option. I was the type of smoker that I would smoke a box in a week and only when going out did I ever finish a pack but because I also shared a lot. Now that was expensive but at the same time it currently feels like I'm apending about 3 times more than I did when I smoked. This is something I really didn't know when I started.

What I would like to know is if this is normal and just something you have to bear with or is there things you can do about this. I'm currently spending about 500 to 600 a month. I assune that this is very little but I would just like to see comparisons with other people. I am looking to maybe replace my setup in a while however my SO does not think this is a good idea seeing as I paid 1500 in total to begin with excluding my juice and coils... I just need a bit of clarification

@Mender31 def an expensive game with new mods etc, hell even juice is costly and I go through 2 to 4 bottles a week. Going into diy coils and juice ( making ur own juice costs bet r18 to r30 per bottle depending on flavour profile) has helped to bring down costs...but then I just pump into the mod fund. I have made peace with the fact that I'm enjoying this and it's a hobby so I don't even compare to smoking days anymore

If you buy a Pico Melo 3 kit and use CCell coils only vaping can be cheaper than smoking… but I have spent more on vaping in the last year than I spent on smoking over the last 40 years!

Vaping started as a stop smoking exercise for me and turned into a religion for me. My health changes were nothing short of miraculous after 40 years of poisoning myself… now vaping for me is all about the flavour and the art of vaping coupled with the amazing community!

@Mender31 def an expensive game with new mods etc, hell even juice is costly and I go through 2 to 4 bottles a week. Going into diy coils and juice ( making ur own juice costs bet r18 to r30 per bottle depending on flavour profile) has helped to bring down costs...but then I just pump into the mod fund. I have made peace with the fact that I'm enjoying this and it's a hobby so I don't even compare to smoking days anymore
I have been looking into making my own juice and the costs involved but the diy coils seem to be something that doesn't work out, especially with my kangertech topbox mini rba. Very bad results mostly.

But I guess that does help because it's like you said, an expensive story. What makes matters worse is that I'm loving under my parent's roof as lodging is too expensive with my current salary and they don't really know that I smoked or that I vape now. So the fact that I have to be secretive about everything makes it twice as bad and difficult.

But I appreciate the response. Will just have to see how it goes

I have been looking into making my own juice and the costs involved but the diy coils seem to be something that doesn't work out, especially with my kangertech topbox mini rba. Very bad results mostly.

But I guess that does help because it's like you said, an expensive story. What makes matters worse is that I'm loving under my parent's roof as lodging is too expensive with my current salary and they don't really know that I smoked or that I vape now. So the fact that I have to be secretive about everything makes it twice as bad and difficult.

@Mender31 rather spend 2 boxes worth of coil cash on a good velocity styled deck tank and then make ur own coils. The kanger rbas are hit and miss my experience

Get used to the secretive...stays even once u married...she knows I spend shit load, she don't ask I don't tell...part of the fun

@Mender31 rather spend 2 boxes worth of coil cash on a good velocity styled deck tank and then make ur own coils. The kanger rbas are hit and miss my experience
Hahaha my soon to be fiancé knows that I vape luckily andbshe sometimes enjoys it with me but she's very cash conscious so I would rather not over spend as this is still something I enjoy but don't have a lot to spend. Would you possibly be able to suggest some velocity styled buildin decks? I'm very new to the lingo so I don't know what the velocity style means but I know what it looks like, can support both big and small builds? But I'm lookig anxiously for a rdta tank that could fit on the kbox mini mod but to no avail. A friend of mine gave me his eleaf tank, think it's the ijust s tank, and ny mod wouldn't read it. This is apparently very concerning?

IMG_0409.JPG
Hahaha my soon to be fiancé knows that I vape luckily andbshe sometimes enjoys it with me but she's very cash conscious so I would rather not over spend as this is still something I enjoy but don't have a lot to spend. Would you possibly be able to suggest some velocity styled buildin decks? I'm very new to the lingo so I don't know what the velocity style means but I know what it looks like, can support both big and small builds? But I'm lookig anxiously for a rdta tank that could fit on the kbox mini mod but to no avail. A friend of mine gave me his eleaf tank, think it's the ijust s tank, and ny mod wouldn't read it. This is apparently very concerning?

This is a velocity style deck bud...very simple to build on and vape shops more than happy to show you how to do them. If I want to go even easier lots of single coil options (higher ohms lower juice consumption) standout here for me is the geekvape Amit, serpent rdta and the serpent mini 25.

At R500-R600 a month you are probably buying a bottle of juice a week and maybe a pack of coils, all of your costs will be torn down by going DIY. If you don't get in to exotic coils, a roll of wire for R100 will last you a year. DIY juice has a start up cost and a easy-to-make-hard-to-master learning curve, but if you keep it simple the same amount spent on commercial juice in a month can last you half the year.

View attachment 87520
This is a velocity style deck bud...very simple to build on and vape shops more than happy to show you how to do them. If I want to go even easier lots of single coil options (higher ohms lower juice consumption) standout here for me is the geekvape Amit, serpent rdta and the serpent mini 25.
Would it be able to fit on the mod? The mod itself is a 20mm mod...
8046c34777fba517eaaf3af60ef791ce.jpg

Vaping is kinda like stock market speculating where you can end up with a small fortune - but only if you start out with a large one. I can now comfortably vape for around R150 a month, way less than the +/-R600 I was spending on cigs. But it took me a looooooot of money to get to this point.

You can vape cheaply, all it takes is discipline: one mod, one rebuildable atomiser, one battery with one spare, DIY coils, DIY juice, 20 or so concentrates with which you make a select few ADVs. And yet, somehow, it never seems to go that way. :D

Vaping is kinda like stock market speculating where you can end up with a small fortune - but only if you start out with a large one. I can now comfortably vape for around R150 a month, way less than the +/-R600 I was spending on cigs. But it took me a looooooot of money to get to this point.

You can vape cheaply, all it takes is discipline: one mod, one rebuildable atomiser, one battery with one spare, DIY coils, DIY juice, 20 or so concentrates with which you make a select few ADVs. And yet, somehow, it never seems to go that way. :D
And most importantly do not watch the "new product watch" " vape mail" and HE "High end" threads

Yeah I was thinking it's time for a diy tank, I even have the wire and cotton. Just need the tank lol. I buy a 100ml bottle of juice and it lasts me three weeks but lately I have been finishing it quicker so two weeks max. One bottle is around 350 minus shipping. But the coils are ok but I'm tired of the very little flavour andbthey burn out after a max of two weeks.

Thank you @incredible_hulk for the suggestions. Apparently wotofo have a serpent mini 22mm. Will go and scope things out.

I've always spent roughlyR700 per month.

When I had a Twisp that got me:
  • 3 x 20ml eliquid (R160 per 20ml)
  • 3 x Edge coils (R150 for 3)
  • I think I bought one or two new Twisp batteries at R400+ but other than that no new device
Since last year June (9 months ago) I've kept the spend at R700 per month and obtained the following:
  • iStick Pico 75W + Melo 3 tank (came with two coils)
  • 4 x 18650 batteries
  • 3 x 10m wire spools
  • 2 x 5m clapton wire spools
  • Coil jig
  • Serpent Mini RTA 22mm (second hand)
  • Mutation X RTA (second hand)
  • RBA head for the Melo 3
  • Cotton
  • Ceramic Tweezers
  • Tsunami 24mm RDA
  • DIY 300ml of ejuice every month (and I always have juice left over which I sometimes PIF or the recipe is just not for me)
  • 2 bay 18650 external charger
I also obtained the following:
  • Velocity 2 Mini RDA 22mm (Piffed by the PIF boss)
  • Vape bag, 2 x 18650 batteries and loads of cotton (won in a lucky draw at a vape meet in Cape Town from Vapour Mountain)
  • Minikin 1.5 150w (Christmas present from the wife)
As of today I want for nothing. I have two batteries which are a week old, two RDA's which I love, coil building supplies to last a few months, DIY supplies to last at least 2 months (before I have to restock on nicotine and some concentrates).

Next month for the first time in 3 and a half years I won't need to spend any money on vape supplies.

If I stopped buying new equipment my monthly budget would be roughly R250 per month for DIY supplies and say R50 per month for coil building supplies. Maybe new batteries twice a year (let's split the cost of those at R50 per month). Totalling let's say R350 per month.

R350 per month is not bad for a hobby/habit in my opinion.

This community is also fantastic. The amount of advice I've received which have allowed me to purchase the right equipment and supplies as well as the amazing vendors which often have competitive pricing has saved me a lot of wasted money. Two pieces of advice that I really appreciated that I received here and from other vapers:

• Be happy with the equipment that you've got - I bought some second hand stuff to play around with. I learnt what I liked and suffered through what I didn't. I vaped on the SM 22 RTA for ages until I was piffed the Velocity 2 Mini 22mm RDA. I then realised what airflow was. I also realised that I don't like tanks. As a result I eventually bought my first NEW atomiser (the Tsunami 24 RDA). It leaks at a moment's notice but I'm committed to learning how to manage it and have already received some very helpful advice. I plan to use it for at least 6 months before even considering a new purchase. I will then purchase second hand again to learn what I like.
  • I asked a similar question to yours a while back and @RichJB said he went through around 200ml of juice per month and the cost to him was about R250 per month if I remember correctly. I thought "Wow, is that even possible?". But after putting my mind to it and sticking with what I had long enough to learn what I wanted eventually I've made it to R350 per month.
Lastly I could probably sell the stuff I don't use for about R1000 which I could also use to offset my monthly expenditure or buy new gear.

After seeing the thread with 7k spent on juice I've been having some doubts. I'm in the same boat as you, don't have much to spend on vape goods.
From what I gatherd, building your own coils and making your own juice is the way to go.

I see @RichJB is still dishing out sage advice :D

Yeah I was thinking it's time for a diy tank, I even have the wire and cotton. Just need the tank lol. I buy a 100ml bottle of juice and it lasts me three weeks but lately I have been finishing it quicker so two weeks max. One bottle is around 350 minus shipping. But the coils are ok but I'm tired of the very little flavour andbthey burn out after a max of two weeks.

Thank you @incredible_hulk for the suggestions. Apparently wotofo have a serpent mini 22mm. Will go and scope things out.

And last bit of advice...cotton is expensive so I just dischem organic cotton balls...but if flavour impart first few hits then sorted...r20 for 100 cotton gonna last forever especially if u like me and change cotton every day. It's not for everyone some hate it others love the cost effectiveness

I agree with everyone here said. This starts as a 'Quit smoking' thing but soon grows to a hobby or lifestyle!!
I started with a twisp a few years ago left it and last year December picked up the eVic VTwo combo, not even two weeks later upgraded to the Smok Gpriv and Baby beast and have only been adding to my Collection since then. Be warned though When this bug bites it bites hard!!

With that said, If you are serious about vaping and want to save costs (compared to smoking) it can definitely be done but then be prepared to put a bit of cash in for a good enough startup. Once you have everything and no 'running costs' (like coils and commercial Juice) then you will see the money saved.

Start with something like uncle Rob suggested, the Pico with Melo3 tank, wait a month and Buy a some DIY Joose ingredients to make your own juice (It should cost you roughly R35-R40 on making your own bottle of juice.) making your own Juice would save the majority of your current costs.
Once thats down then get a nice 22mm RTA with one pack of cotton and a roll of wire, and start doing your own coils, by that time if you have the above you will basically need to buy Cotton and DIY Ingredients on a two monthly or later basis depending on your Juice consumption.
If you choose to not build your own coils, then id also say get ceramic coils and you will still be saving hellova lot by only making your own Juice!

On your comments of your friends' tank not reading on your mod, well I have no experience with your mod, but does your screen display any thing while pressing the fire button with that specific Tank on?

Good Luck with your vaping, hope you find equal grounds vaping and Costs soon.

Hello all.

Cost will vary,

I was smoking a pack a day, witch is just over 4 cartons a month, roughly R1200/month. Which is actually more expensive than your current vape spending.

I now spend R1300 on juice alone a month.

@Dietz the screen displayed the regular 9.999 ohms which it does when the tank is removed and put back on again, a mechanism to help he ohm detector. However, this time it just kept flashing the same 9.999 and didn't want to read it. Hopefully it does not mean that my 510 thread is damaged andbjust that the tank was too wide or something similar.

.Thanx very much to everyone here. I have a nice goal to work towards in the next few months. Just need to find a decent supplier of the juice bases and concentrates. I'm a simple fruity flavour type person and I'm also thinking of trying a 0mg juice to see if I still get what I need. And as for the tank, there is always the second hand section of the classifieds

I asked a similar question to yours a while back and @RichJB said he went through around 200ml of juice per month and the cost to him was about R250 per month if I remember correctly. I thought "Wow, is that even possible?". But after putting my mind to it and sticking with what I had long enough to learn what I wanted eventually I've made it to R350 per month.

I must confess, your budgeting was more accurate and thorough than mine as I didn't factor in the cost of replacing batteries. That is a very relevant component that needs to be budgeted. My current estimate of R150 a month is based on me now having a sizeable stock of DIY concentrates and largely avoiding concentrate FOMO. I get very few new concentrates now, most of my purchases are restocks of concentrates I already have.

The big thing is to avoid the hardware FOMO. I have found that to be remarkably similar to giving up smoking. For the first two weeks, it's all you think about. Then it just gets less and less important. I have four mods and nine atties. For the past three days, I have used only one mod and one attie. So what I have is way more than I need. The thought of vaping on only one attie would have been horrendous to me when I was at the height of hardware FOMO. But the more I have done it, the more natural it has become.

I haven't watched a hardware review in months and haven't browsed the Classifieds in ages. It's not that I have my 'dream gear'. Quite the contrary, my gear is among the cheapest cr@p you can buy. The setup I've been vaping for the last three days is my Virus clone RDA (all of R300 from Vape King) and my 60W iStick which cost me less than R500 on sale from Vapeowave. And you know what? It works. Being happy with the gear you have, rather than resenting and wishing for the gear that you don't have, is a habit. The more you practise it, the easier it becomes.

I still want to improve my vape. But I'm doing it by investing time and research into becoming a better mixer, not by investing cash into gear. I could blow R10-15k on HE gear and it might improve my vape by 10%. But focusing on my mixing and juice will bring far higher returns at much lower cost. So it's the more efficient way forward imo.

Vaping is NOT cheaper than smoking, but I didn't quit smoking because of the cost, but for the health benefits. I don't care what my vaping costs me. If it was 10% safer than smoking, then it's still a bargain!

It seems that everyone is sayin the same thing, which is making me feel kinda bad haha. But the only reason I would think of replacing my tank is to be able to easily build ny own coils which is just not working on the mini rba. And the current toptank is just literally leaking everywhere. Like I cannot get it to stop. And it really frustrates you when all it does is leak the whole time.

I have a little fomo in the sens I want to be able to generate a litle more vapour than I currently do just for that extra hit. Currently vaping on 25w and I only empty my tank every one day and like every morning. But once the tank heats up the vapour production decreases...

So yeah I guess I'm just trying to find something I can stick to and not want to replace. But seems like the mod size coul become a problem

Back