The Silica Wick Thread

this thread takes me back 4.5 years, oh the memories.

28g kanthal , 1.5 id , silica wick on a reo with rm2 , pure vaping bliss

Time to bring this thread out of the archives. My intention was to use silica as an easy clean wick in my dripper but have now ended up using it in all by devices. So here are my final thoughts on this material.

Juice conductivity is on par with any other material I have used. The taste is clean and pure right from the start and even after two weeks in the OBS Nano seems to remain spot on. The ability to burn coil and wick clean without the need to rewick is a bargain making this good value for money. It shines with fruity menthol juice where a crisp vape is most desirable.
It is not the easiest material to work with and when using the braided strand as supplied the coil diameter is restricted by the braid diameter. This can be overcome by "unbraiding" and building the desired thickness in loose strands.

I will be on the lookout for more of this wick as it has become my standard in wicking material.

Regards

Please do share the location if you happen to find more, would love to try on my Engine nano

Excellent news, I ordered some from VapeMOB in anticipation and will give this a try. Good pricing and turnaround from their side as well. May need to call on the experts for guidance to ensure I get it right. Was only going to do it for the dripper, but may do one or two of the tanks as well.:D:D

Where can i buy some of this silica wicks?

Where did you find @Shatter?

Stumbling around looking for a mod, I saw this on Vapepulse's site:
http://www.vapepulse.co.za/index.php?route=product/product&path=90&product_id=496

At R10 for 1m I thought it is cheap but had no idea why the heck they would stock something weird like this, then I came upon this thread.

So many questions are running through my mind, some of which were answered earlier, but I think top of my mind now is 'how the heck do you wick this?'. Do you seriously have to put a paperclip through it and then pull it through the coil? Is there a youtube video I can watch regarding this? I have no idea what to search for...

Stumbling around looking for a mod, I saw this on Vapepulse's site:
http://www.vapepulse.co.za/index.php?route=product/product&path=90&product_id=496

At R10 for 1m I thought it is cheap but had no idea why the heck they would stock something weird like this, then I came upon this thread.

So many questions are running through my mind, some of which were answered earlier, but I think top of my mind now is 'how the heck do you wick this?'. Do you seriously have to put a paperclip through it and then pull it through the coil? Is there a youtube video I can watch regarding this? I have no idea what to search for...
It's horrible stuff to work with, I think this is the main reason cotton became so popular. Also, Silica tends to wick really fast so if you were to use it for large diameter (2mm and up) coils then you'd generally get flooding issues.

What we used to do is stick a paperclip or a pin through the silica and wrap the coil around it. Another option is to pull the wick through a coil by folding the wick in half and pulling it through the coil with a fine piece of wire.

The main trick is to burn the silica wick until a white glow before you cut and wick same (prevents frailing and make sure you have burn off any possible nasty contaminants).

@Raindance its been a while now, your thoughts?
Good flavor and excellent wicking. Hard to work with especially in small builds. Used in in the BB's insider which uses only about 1cm of wick and although flavor was out of this world, getting those wick points to stay put was another issue.

Still running them in my OBS Engine Nano tanks. burning them clean along with the coil does the job. Will keep using them in these tanks.

I am new to squonking and RDA's in general. Used this wick in both an Entheon and a VV Pulse and all was well until burning clean time. I am afraid of frying the insulators in these small chambers as one needs to pulse longer and hotter than when just cleaning a coil.
Having said that, rewicking these type of atties is so freaking easy, even with a rather stubborn material, i think the purity of flavor makes it worth while.

Overall I am sold on silica wick for use in larger builds. The small Insider and STM RBA type decks it gets a bit tricky and cotton and rayon are still preferred.

So in summation:
Pro's
1. Pure Flavor.
2. Excellent juice delivery.
3. Long lived and "re-usable".
4. Cost effective

Cons
1. Not user friendly, hard to use when tricky wicking is required, it is a stubborn material.
2. Availability may be a problem.
3. Not suitable for all types of decks and builds. Maybe with more practice and experimentation?
4. Takes a bit longer to wick a coil. Preparing the wick specifically.

Hope this helps. Everyone will need to decide for themselves I guess, but for me the little bit of extra effort is worth the overall advantages gained. I am looking for a steady supply and would like to get both the 2.5 and 3.5 mm diameters.

Regards

@Raindance Awesome, thank you for the feedback and you testing on this. Will give it go also, I don't mind fiddling around to get the wick perfect. If possible, could you please post a pic or two on how the wicking looks like and the wick being used after a few refills?

@Raindance , thats awesome feedback, thanks!

What have you found is the best way to get the wick through the coil?

If I may, which one did you add to your family? I have found that if you take them out every ten mins after drinking or eating until something happens they get into the habit quite fast. Will still have some mishaps initially but they soon start asking to go out.

If I may, which one did you add to your family? I have found that if you take them out every ten mins after drinking or eating until something happens they get into the habit quite fast. Will still have some mishaps initially but they soon start asking to go out.
Seven week old GSD female. She already gets the idea that newspaper has something to do with toilet but she seems to prefer reading it while going rather than go on it. Lol.
IMG_0501[1].JPG
Regards

Back to the business at hand.

A new build.
OBS Engine Nano
SS316L 24AWG 3.5mm ID 10+ winds at 0.53 Ohm's
Pulled through a double strand of 3mm braided silica wick. The wick in the left juice port runs to the end of the right of the coil and vice versa for the one in the left juice port. Used a bent piece of SS316 coil wire as wick hook.
Will let the pictures do the talking.
IMG_0520.JPG IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0525.JPG IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0530.JPG
When pushing the wick ends through the wicking ports the braiding does come apart but it suits me this way as it assists the wick to fill the hole.

Will post a cleaning of used wick next.

Regards

Cleaning an existing build.

The coil and wicking is as described above, maybe one wind less. Probably about five days and 35ml since the last clean.
IMG_0531.JPG

Pulsing at 30w starting to burn off the residual juice.
IMG_0533.JPG
Dont worry, just blow it out and let cool, then pulse again. Happens a few times.
IMG_0535.JPG
Eventually the coils only glow and deposits are burned away.
IMG_0539.JPG
After a rinse and pulsed dry.
IMG_0541.JPG
Primed and ready to go.
IMG_0542.JPG

Regards

Thanks a million, I will have to rewick and will give it a try, looks straight forward, let's see how it ends up tasting. Will be doing a rewick of the RDA as well. I usually do 3 mm Id wraps, so maybe use the 2.5 wicking doubled up?

Thanks a million, I will have to rewick and will give it a try, looks straight forward, let's see how it ends up tasting. Will be doing a rewick of the RDA as well. I usually do 3 mm Id wraps, so maybe use the 2.5 wicking doubled up?
When pulling the wick through you will quickly know if it is too tight. You can also unbraid a piece and add a couple of strands if need be. Or just use a couple of strands if the braid is to thick for a smaller ID.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Regards

Took me a while to find a post dating back to July 2014 regarding Ekowool: https://www.ecigssa.co.za/reo-ekowool.t3753/

Well found @johan

I noticed in that thread that you made the coil very low so the wick just sticks out on either side and can suck up the juice from the base.

But if the coil is higher up for more throat hit, is it easy to get the ekowool to hang down onto the deck? Or does one do the coil at an angle and let the ekowool point down straight to the deck, just on one side?

Back