The Useless but Interesting fact thread

10 FUN FACTS ABOUT BEES:
The reason bees are so noisy is because they beat their wings 11,400 times in one minute!
Only female bees can sting. Male bees don’t have stingers.
Honey bees communicate through a series of dance moves.
A hive of bees will fly over 55,000 miles to make 1lb of honey and can create 100lbs of honey in a year.
Bees can sense the hormone a human gives off when they’re scared. If they feel their hive is threatened they’ll attack.
The Honey Bee is the only insect that makes food man can eat.
Each Honey Bee from the same hive has their own specific color identification.
The Ancient Egyptian King Pepy II came up with a clever insect repellent. He would cover a slave completely with honey so they would be attracted to the honey and not him.
Eating honey makes you smarter! It has an antioxidant that improves brain functions.
1 bee has 5 eyes!

In the 10th century, men in Europe adopted the now-gendered fashion choice of heels to make it easier to ride their horses: Adding heels to their boots made it easier to stay in their stirrups.

This , dear friends is why I prefer Coca Cola and beer to H20...
''Drinking too much water can be deadly. When guzzling a lot of liquid, you can suffer from water intoxication or hyponatremia, which occurs after an obscene amount of water is consumed, often during endurance events when participants are also losing sodium through their sweat.''

This , dear friends is why I prefer Coca Cola and beer to H20...
''Drinking too much water can be deadly. When guzzling a lot of liquid, you can suffer from water intoxication or hyponatremia, which occurs after an obscene amount of water is consumed, often during endurance events when participants are also losing sodium through their sweat.''

I'm not saying water is "bad" for you, but did you know that:
Hitler, Idi Amin, Osama Bin Laden, Jeffery Dahmer, Robert Mugabe and Julius Malema are and were all known water drinkers!!!!! Makes one think! o_O

36b3d5516f71f73573d2dc07d2ffc581.jpg

5. (There is no opening between bottle 1 and pipe to bottle 2).
In theory 5, buuuuuuuuuuut ... it would depend on the volume of each bottle and the pressure of the water, and what your interpretation of full is, as I don't see anywhere for the air to escape, meaning the air would compress to a point matching the incoming water pressure and then stop.

In theory 5, buuuuuuuuuuut ... it would depend on the volume of each bottle and the pressure of the water, and what your interpretation of full is, as I don't see anywhere for the air to escape, meaning the air would compress to a point matching the incoming water pressure and then stop.
You left out the tampon stuck in the pipe between 1 and 3. :D

I knew this was going to happen! All science and boom, tampon.

Seeing as it's around the corner...

Because there is so much confusion about the real identity of the 3rd century St. Valentine, the Catholic Church stopped its liturgical veneration of him back in 1969, although he remains on the list of individuals officially recognized as saints. In addition to being the patron saint of lovers, engaged persons, and happily married couples, he is also the patron saint of bee keepers, travelers, and for people suffering from epilepsy, fainting, and the plague.

Seeing as it's around the corner...

Because there is so much confusion about the real identity of the 3rd century St. Valentine, the Catholic Church stopped its liturgical veneration of him back in 1969, although he remains on the list of individuals officially recognized as saints. In addition to being the patron saint of lovers, engaged persons, and happily married couples, he is also the patron saint of bee keepers, travelers, and for people suffering from epilepsy, fainting, and the plague.
I had pondered on his demise briefly back in ye day ... of why he disappeared out of official Catholic "mention", and ... as puberty had kicked in around the same time, was more interested in, and focussed more on lust than love :rolleyes:

I had pondered on his demise briefly back in ye day ... of why he disappeared out of official Catholic "mention", and ... as puberty had kicked in around the same time, was more interested in, and focussed more on lust than love :rolleyes:
Got that section from here if you're interested.

The largest tyre manufacturer in the world is...

LEGO! :eek:
Damn ... You're correct! :oops:

According to the Guinness World Records, Lego's tire production peaked in 2010 when the company churned out 381 million tiny tires. Since then, it has held the record for the largest annual volume toy tire manufacturer. These days, production floats around 306 million rubber tires every year.

Damn ... You're correct! :oops:

According to the Guinness World Records, Lego's tire production peaked in 2010 when the company churned out 381 million tiny tires. Since then, it has held the record for the largest annual volume toy tire manufacturer. These days, production floats around 306 million rubber tires every year.
I actually knew this one, but the figures you present are interesting as I did not know that

Not sure if I posted this on the forum before. If I have sorry. If not, enjoy.

I present, the origin of the famous James Bond theme....

For years, the Soviets were able to catch American spies due to... staples!
American staples are made of stainless steel whereas in the Soviet Union it was not, which meant that the Soviet ones would rust over time due to moisture in the air, causing brown stains where the staples were. Fake passports made in America would of course not have these rust stains and thus would make people suspicious.

The name of the plane, the Spitfire, was given to it as such as the owner of the company's daughter, Anne, was called this by her father. The project manager wanted to call it Scarab or Shrew.

Where did the name Mercedes come from?
Mercedes-Benz has a very complicated history that involves a lot of collaboration and a lot of name changes. Even today, the company is trigger-happy on changing names. For example, the GLK-Class just became the GLC, the GL-Class is turning into the GLS, and the M-Class is dead to the GLE. To figure out where all this nonsense comes from, we travel all the way back to 1902 when Mercedes-Benz received its first name change. If you are already a Mercedes-Benz enthusiast, you are probably familiar with names like Daimler, Benz, and Maybach, but where did the name Mercedes come from?

Gottlieb Daimler
This is where the company all started. In 1890, Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach engineered and sold the world’s first four-cylinder street cars that came from the factory ready to go . Unfortunately for him, Daimler died 10 years after founding the company, but his name lives on as one of the most important in Mercedes-Benz history.

Wilhelm Maybach
Wilhelm Maybach served as Daimler’s chief engineer and designed the car that was purchased by Emil Jillinek, the father of the 11-year-old girl that inspired the name Mercedes. Maybach is now synonymous with vehicles that cost a quarter of a million dollars. The name represents the most in luxury in the automotive industry and all started at the beginning of Daimler in 1890.

Mercedes Jellinek
Mercedes-Jellinek was the daughter of Emil Jillinek. Much like how AMG started, Emil would purchase Daimler vehicles, modify them, and race them. After establishing credibility, Emil began to work with Wilhelm Maybach to design cars that delivered more performance and reliability. In 1900, the first Mercedes was born. It was a name given to a car that Jellinek modified and it came from his daughter, Mercedes. It had 35 horsepower and was considered to be one of the world’s first “modern cars”.

Karl Benz
Karl Benz is probably one of the most famous names associated with Mercedes-Benz. While Daimler was working on its line of cars, Karl Benz was doing the same thing. Karl Benz is wildly credited with inventing the combustion engine and is one of the greatest automotive engineers of all time. Benz merged with Daimler in 1926 to create the brand Mercedes-Benz, and the rest, as they say ... is history.

It is a little funny that the name Mercedes, not Daimler or Maybach, became the face of the brand because although Emil Jellinek had a lot to do with what the brand has become, his daughter Mercedes had nothing to do with it! It makes you wonder what Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach would think about it.

Mercedes Jellinek ... The face behind the name
Mercedes Jellinek.png

Back