Tips on how to save money on vaping

Bumping this thread for the benefit of those that havent seen it yet

If you have any good tips on how to save cash on vaping, please post them here.
Might be very helpful to others.

Dont start vaping. Its got alot of deep holes that will burn your pocket. :D

My two cents for what it's worth. With the recent liquid nicotine ban here in Australia, now moved to Jan 2021 it spurred me into action fast. Always just mixed premixed juice bought. Bought 1.6l of 100mg liquid nic for seeing me thru next few years. Cheap as chips from USA incl shipping.As compared to buying smokes here. Costs? To put it into perspective 1 pack 30 smokes cost au$ 50 which is 588 rand. The nicotine cost me 200 au or 2300 rand. I calculated i can make 13.3 litres juice at 12g. Or 266 50ml bottles. At 50ml a week that's 5.5 years. Can always reduce the nicotine levels if I want to get more bang for my bucks. Mods, tanks, coils, pgvg mix and flavours I can always get anyway. As much as I love vaping it's c for serious about the nicotine intake or am I wrong think here?

Last edited:
I haven't bought juice for several years. I only DIY.

I decided where I fitted into the scheme of things early on. I don't have the ability (taste wise) to make up my own recipes that are better than the experts. I have no intention to compete with them.

It appears that there is wisdom from Grumpkins and snarks (you can decide who is which ) but I am of the same mind. I know what I like and have no more than 7 concentrates in my stash and build my flavours around them. Now and again I may try a bottle of this or that to improve it but I don't chase the holy grail.

DIY has had to have had the biggest effect on the budget. Rebuilding, coils and wicks has helped a lot as they are far less expensive than sub ohm tank coils. DIY juice cut my expenses by a third from store bought juice. I also have dedicated tanks for flavours. I won't put an "after dinner" juice into the same tank I use for my ADV. This seems to stretch out the coil and wicks sometimes for longer than I am comfortable with.

Far and away the best way to save money is to tell my wife I want another "tank, mod, gear", Usually I save a lot of money that way. :facepalm:

The best way to save money by far is to do extensive research before buying.

As many have said above, today's mods are all very similar wrt to the vape experience they deliver. I defy anyone to be able to blind test regulated mods accurately in power mode. If you want (need) a new mod look at all the sale mods in SA. If you want pretty designs or matchy matchy I'm afraid you will have to pay the price. As stated by others second hand is also a good option.

Some SA mod sales are good value but you can't beat the sales prices from international vape vendors. Most of the big manufacturers have massive sales on the mods that they are no longer making. Paying 30% of the original release price is not unusual. The only issue here is that to save money you have to use the free shipping options wherever possible. This can result in long delays due to SA Customs and the post office. If you are prepared to wait you will save tons of cash.

This research even applies to DIY. IMO there are three main DIY shops in SA. The rest have limited range and high prices. I am fortunate in that one of them has a B&M shop nearby so I don't even pay for courier fees. Look out for concentrate sales. When one of your favorite concentrates goes on sale buy enough to last for a while.

Don't try to save money on batteries. Buy recommended batteries only from reputable vendors. Some of them have sales on batteries from time to time. Batteries are really cheap when you consider how long they last. If you really want to save money on batteries take a look at Mooch's videos on how to prolong the life of your batteries. Coincidentally the techniques he provides also increase battery safety.

Great comments on this thread

It's good to talk about these things in these trying times.

Other than saving money - I have found that diluting my commercial juices down with a blend of PG/VG/Nic has made the juices a bit less flavourful and more palatable for mindless vaping. Win for me.

Lately I've been using my Nord 2 for high nic freebase (18mg) and I'm astonished at how long the juice lasts! I keep checking the pod to see if it needs a refill but nope ... unnecessary. I'm vaping at only 25W which explains, so ... lower the wattage to save juice! BUT I don't get the flavour I would like, but for high nic, which I'm vaping just for a turbo-charge, it's fine.

My savings tip -

High nic 18mg at around 25w in the Zeus single coil RTA with a great tobacco/Cigar juice is no1. Juice lasts for ages.

Bringing up this old thread for those who haven’t seen it yet

what are your tips on this topic?

Find a level you are happy with. Buy a few and keep in stock for that rainy day and forget FOMO. (Fear of missing out.)

Find a level you are happy with. Buy a few and keep in stock for that rainy day and forget FOMO. (Fear of missing out.)
In a nutshell! I'm dialed in, I like my mtl RTAs and my SBS mods, I get the odd new gadget but hardly buy anything extra now except cotton and new batteries and stuff. Also mix some DIY juice so I'm really saving much more since when I started.

In a nutshell! I'm dialed in, I like my mtl RTAs and my SBS mods, I get the odd new gadget but hardly buy anything extra now except cotton and new batteries and stuff. Also mix some DIY juice so I'm really saving much more since when I started.

DIY can save a lot but despite a few attempts and a fair amount of time , I still haven’t been able to mix juices I like a lot.

How did you find / create the recipes you enjoy ?

DIY can save a lot but despite a few attempts and a fair amount of time , I still haven’t been able to mix juices I like a lot.

I started very simple, I like tobaccos and I like menthol. RYA4 with a touch of menthol and mix a 30ml batch, test and from there tweak what I want to come out more. I don't do massive recipes, for me they never come out lekker. Basically trail and error

I haven't done it yet but The Favour Mill has recipes that are available online and they post them on Facebook and Instagram. Maybe to find a few that tickle your fancy and try them.

Avoid disposables "seem cheap" but false economy! And remember all manufacturers and vendors even if associated with whatever forum you are on care about their pockets not yours!

DIY with One-Shots. Saving a lot this way. I haven't bought commercial juices in years. BLCKs versus range is pretty much all I use, with the odd attempt at something new. And of course, Red Pill is also available as a one-shot.

DIY with One-Shots. Saving a lot this way. I haven't bought commercial juices in years. BLCKs versus range is pretty much all I use, with the odd attempt at something new. And of course, Red Pill is also available as a one-shot.
DIY cost me a fortune trying out every new recipe under the sun and then I ended up with a box of concentrates that were kak.

currently rotating between 2 or 3 diy juices and try odd new one shot every now and again to mix things up. like you said red pill is a staple in my vape diet as well.

Thanks @X-Calibre786
I need to try the one shots
Haven’t had much experience with them but have been meaning to. Will have a look

Thanks @X-Calibre786
I need to try the one shots
Haven’t had much experience with them but have been meaning to. Will have a look
Remember my review in the one shot mango freeze from Flavour World?

Give that a shot, you won’t regret it.

30ml makes 300ml. Enough said. I’m going to get my mom to get me 3 bottles to bring over for me in August when they fly over to the UK.

Remember my review in the one shot mango freeze from Flavour World?

Give that a shot, you won’t regret it.

30ml makes 300ml. Enough said. I’m going to get my mom to get me 3 bottles to bring over for me in August when they fly over to the UK.

Thanks @RainstormZA
Will check it out
Hope you are keeping well. Nice to hear from you

One shots and pre mix for me have been a godsend. It literally takes me a few minutes with the small scale to mix up a batch.

For example, a popular one shot I mix takes 22 ml per hundred. In my bottle size I use 33 ml and 142 ml of premix. Gives me 175 ml at a time. The bottle neck is wide enough that I don't need funnels and can pour straight into the bottle. Once done I fill up my 50 ml carry bottle and off I go.

The cost saving on this is great comparing buying the product already bottled. Important to me as I use a lot of juice over the course of a month

In addition to that I can control the vg/pg content by using 90/10 or 80/20 or 70/30

Back