Vape tax from 1 June 2023 !

This is why vape eliquid manufacturers have to apply for a license. And the tax will be applied to any sales they make. So the components up to that point are not taxed but once it becomes part of a manufactured product, a eliquid for vaping, then it will carry the new tax. Just like eggs, flour, oil, etc. are not taxed but as soon as you bake a cake from it, then it would carry a sugar tax.
So I will have to buy a ready mix cake concentrate in future. LOL.

So here's some feedback I received from the meeting that was held yesterday morning (didn't attend myself, so cannot answer all questions that may follow):

We attended the SARS session on the tax. What we can confirm is it will apply to all eliquids nicot8ne or non nicotine at a rate of 2.90 per ml.

Manufacturers will have to pay it at manufacturer level so excise will have been paid before you buy it and added onto the new price of the wholesale product and vat to still be applied.

I do suggest retailer stock up.

We are digesting the information supplied to help formulate plans moving forward and keep you updated but as you know 100ml liquid will go up by R290 plus vat after that.

And it is confirmed again that only a vapable solution will be taxed. Not the ingredients.

Not any particular ingredient taxed, only taxed once it is a vapable solution.

It’s just darn not right.
I enjoyed 90% of my working career. The 10% I still enjoy my work but was working with a person I couldn’t get on with.
I was retrenched and it worked out well. I had enough pension to retire on, albeit not as much as it would have been had I gone to my full retirement age.
Then came Covid 19. So now I was on pension but most of us in South Africa couldn’t do much due to lock down. A bit of a downer but realistically we all knew it had to end at some time or another.
Now I used to have a month or mores smokes on hand at an time and just before lock down I had just bought my next month’s supply so had about two and a half months stock on hand.
Then the government decided to double whammy us smokers and imposed the smoking – tobacco ban. As time went in I became more sure they would come to their senses and lift the ban. I carried on smoking my normal amount per day. Then the illegal tobacco trade started flourishing and I checked out the prices. For a pack of 20 cheap cigarettes people were paying 75% more per pack. I decided I couldn’t afford to buy on the black market. Psychologically I started panicking. My smokes were dwindling. I got to my last dregs. Eventually the day came and I ran out. I was devastated. I had dabbled long ago with cigarettes look alike vapes. I thought maybe I must see if anything was available. I found a F......k page that looked promising. I bought a Vaporesso Swag 2.
Stress was off and I was fully into vaping.
Now this Vape tax is putting me back to where I was as my smokes started dwindling. Not knowing where my next juices will come from and how much will they cost me.
Why people feel (The government) they have the right to control adults and dictate what they can and can’t do and make as much money as they can out of my habits.
It’s just darn not right.

Last edited:
It’s just darn right not right
It is absolutely darn not right I agree 110%!!!

Do you DIY @Stew? I don’t think that is going to be hit as hard as store juice and might be your way to keep costs down!

It’s just darn right not right.
I enjoyed 90% of my working career. The 10% I still enjoy my work but was working with a person I couldn’t get on with.
I was retrenched and it worked out well. I had enough pension to retire on, albeit not as much as it would have been had I gone to my full retirement age.
Then came Covid 19. So now I was on pension but most of us in South Africa couldn’t do much due to lock down. A bit of a downer but realistically we all knew it had to end at some time or another.
Now I used to have a month or mores smokes on hand at an time and just before lock down I had just bought my next month’s supply so had about two and a half months stock on hand.
Then the government decided to double whammy us smokers and imposed the smoking – tobacco ban. As time went in I became more sure they would come to their senses and lift the ban. I carried on smoking my normal amount per day. Then the illegal tobacco trade started flourishing and I checked out the prices. For a pack of 20 cheap cigarettes people were paying 75% more per pack. I decided I couldn’t afford to buy on the black market. Psychologically I started panicking. My smokes were dwindling. I got to my last dregs. Eventually the day came and I ran out. I was devastated. I had dabbled long ago with cigarettes look alike vapes. I thought maybe I must see if anything was available. I found a F......k page that looked promising. I bought a Vaporesso Swag 2.
Stress was off and I was fully into vaping.
Now this Vape tax is putting me back to where I was as my smokes started dwindling. Not knowing where my next juices will come from and how much will they cost me.
Why people feel (The government) they have the right to control adults and dictate what they can and can’t do and make as much money as they can out of my habits.
It’s just darn right not right.
Go the DIY route with one shots and if you're brave follow recipes. The only way forward really in the future.

The issue is still once it's implemented it could get worse. Someone is watching these threads on this forum to see how they can get us next.
A vapable solution, :nut: a saline solution is also a vapable solution.

Getting a loan to stock up isn't a viable option for everyone. For some Vapers the sole purpose of vaping is still to stay away from stinkies. While for others it's also become a hobby aswell. I don't have an issue with any of those and I'm not judging anyone. My question is, where's the petitions etc. even if it's just to make it look like we're putting up a fight.

why are they gunning vapers
its simple: they dont want us to vape, they want us to smoke so they can make a mountain of legal tax from them or if we smoke the dodgy cigs then they make a mountain of illegal cash from those.

As expected it went from vapable to nicotine and nicotine substitute solutions. They are are amending this proposal as we speak based on vapers feedback.
My question is what is nicotine substitutes and why are they gunning vapers
It's the same as the sugar tax in the UK, we pay more on Coca-Cola, Pepsi, etc but the ones without the sugar in is cheaper. It's all about the money for the government, they are just greedy barstewards.

It's the same as the sugar tax in the UK, we pay more on Coca-Cola, Pepsi, etc but the ones without the sugar in is cheaper. It's all about the money for the government, they are just greedy barstewards.
We also have sugar tax and as such pay more for normal Coca-cola versus Coke Zero, etc. If there's a way this government of ours can make money, they will do it.

As expected it went from vapable to nicotine and nicotine substitute solutions. They are are amending this proposal as we speak based on vapers feedback.
There is no such a thing called 'nicotine substitutes'. There are tobacco substitutes that contain nicotine. Nothing as far as I know substitutes for nicotine.

There is no such a thing called 'nicotine substitutes'. There are tobacco substitutes that contain nicotine. Nothing as far as I know substitutes for nicotine.
You can bet they mean CBD.

There's still a lot of grey areas.

And to be honest, the people that implemented these taxes know as much about vaping as they do about a cargo ship in Simon's Town.

Last edited:
Well I don't vape, I walk around with my portable electronics nebulizer for health reasons.

And just like that I do not sell vape juice anymore but nebulizer fluid (in various flavours) :rofl:
There are many ways to ride a horse.

Dude a nebulizer is a vaporizer, but you never hear of nebulizer tax.

Well I found it hard to get non artificial sweetened cold drinks. Went into a store once and all the fridges was filled with less sugar, no sugar cold drinks. Maybe it's a good thing for me. Haven't bought cold drinks in a month and I don't do low fat either for health reasons.

I wonder how this will affect VapeCon... My main reason for going is to try new juices and buy juices as I think I have enough hardware, but I'm sure not paying R600 for a bottle of juice! and people may be hesitant to sell flavourings and one-shots etc as this might just draw unwanted attention and get us taxed on ingredients as well...

The tobacco industry is loosing too much money and all governments worldwide are in their pocket. To put it into perspective, in 2018 the global tobacco market lost around $127 billion USD to vaping. I can't find any articles with a more recent figure but I can imagine it's way more 5 years down the line. That's why we're facing this ridiculous tax and Australia has banned vaping unless it's supplied by their healthcare system and their pricing is mental!!!!

Back