Vapetober

argief

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
In the spirit of vapetober, any suggestions / strategies in how to start-up a vaping discussion with a smoker? I often find myself with a 7 minute window whilst the smoker joins me but I have thus far not been able to hook a smoker on vaping...

What are some of the talking points to get a smoker interested in vaping as an alternative to smoking?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Just commenting on the name - Should delay one month for vapeVEMBER :D

Just to add: I normally start with how I thought I was too young to have to worry until I started feeling the effects - waking up with a seriously bad chest and having a cancer scare (turned out to be a benign tumor) in my jaw...It's fear mongering but aimed not at them, seems to help ease in but spark enough interest :ANGEL:

I just drip up before getting out the car etc.
Take a few hair-on-your-chest pulls and provide some clouds and shade :rofl:
90% of the time I just have people asking where they can go to buy a device!!!

The hard thing I find is the really useful info that they kinda need to know (device safety, juices etc.)
So I tend to offer up the forums as the place to go as I don't wish to be particularly bias to any vendors.
On average I have 3-4 15min (or longer) chats a week informing and educating.

My number 1 point that must be conveyed above all else: Vaping is for people who want to and that care about life.
(Smoking will kill you and everyone in the world knows that...just the wrong foot to start a conversation on):p
There was an amazing article I read a while ago about a non-vaper journalist going to a big vape event,
how he was blown away by the heart behind the vaping scene and this is my inspiration whenever talking about vaping.

best approach is not to tell them how bad smoking is or how much better vaping is.

Try this: 'dude you have to taste how awesome this flavour is'

personally, i got onto vaping because i tasted a flavour that knocked my socks off. many vapers start out that way.
but by starting negative, you wont get far.

I've gotten two people to at least start on a twisp since start October.

When I get a hook with them asking questions I appeal to their personality or as much of it I can gather from the context of where we are and what we are doing.

For the tech minded guys I appeal to their tinkering side with RBA's, slinging vape jargon which gets them flustered and asking more.

For the more laid back guys I go with the flavor and health aspect, it helps that I drive electric because that ties in nicely with this convo. I also play the it "can be much cheaper" card but feel kinda bad cause I know once you start it's a rabbit hole.

For the hipster ones, cause there are increasingly more of these.
I go with the unique appeal of being the only person in their circles doing this. Tribalism is real!

Ofcourse a decent sized sweet smelling cloud is often enough to get a conversation hook.

Haha go Rob..that's the way to do it....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I say nothing! Because for years people have been telling me to get off stinkies and I just got pi***d off with them.

However should someone ask about vaping, I go the full mile and sometimes even end up giving away a device, juices etc. I even offer them 24/7 support!

Don't try to convince a smoker to change, most times you'll just piss them off. Just enjoy your vape, maybe make some bedroom noises while vaping and wait for them to ask wtf that "thing" is. If they don't approach you immediately then let them go, after a while they will come forward out of curiosity ;)

If they start asking, I try convincing them how much cleaner it is....in a nice way. I always point to my fingers, no more yellow stains (Jeez, I am so proud of my clean fingers). I never belittle them regarding normal stinkies, free world, free choice. If they interested, I explain my lung function test results, then I tell them about this site.

best approach is not to tell them how bad smoking is or how much better vaping is.

Try this: 'dude you have to taste how awesome this flavour is'

personally, i got onto vaping because i tasted a flavour that knocked my socks off. many vapers start out that way.
but by starting negative, you wont get far.

Agreed. I was never a smoker but I absolutely love vaping solely because of the magnificent flavours :p

I would say the best is putting a 0mg flavour in a tank and asking them what you think of the flavour. Thats how I switched over from cigarets to a vape, it was not that it was better for me, that was the 3rd reason, the 2nd was not smelling like smoke.

You know what they say you can only knock something once you tried it

I have to say as someone who is only starting the journey now, I hate it when people tell me this is so much better, healthier and what not - I actually smoke so that I dont kill people at the office and I am not allowed to drink in the office :p But have tried a few devices in pubs when I meet a vaper - I am not shy I will walk up to you and ask can I taste, where how what and all that. The reason I am changing to vape is simply my best friend is a non smoker, she really gets nasty headaches from smokers. I am one of the few considerate smokers out there, I NEVER smoke indoors, I dont smoke right ontop of a non smoker and I decided to chat to my friend about it. And then I started talking to @GlacieredPyro who is one of my besties but the bugger lives far away. He directed me here, and now I am awaiting my Vapemale from a fellow member, I just got back from the Vape shop near my house - Awesome salesman working there and he gave me loads of tips and suggestions. I walked away with 5 10ml flavours and now I am so excited.

Back