Vaping association

This is exactly my concern @DizZa we have this group now purporting to be the voice of the vaping industry in South Africa and the revealation that it is in fact a consulting company

Watch the full video when you get a gap.

The other political stand points i.e the monetary contributions they require etc, I refrain from having an opinion at this stage.

Really do yourself a favor and watch the WHOLE video.

Note carefully that VPASA HAD NO EXPERTS (with any qualified opinion) whatsoever, -on the 'panel'- they merely facilitated the event. All of the speakers are contractors willing to talk at an event (perhaps if paid, or paid expenses to attend).

Note also that there were no Attorneys present, anyone considering taking on Gov' must be prepared to take them to court, that's simply a fact of life, ask OUTA.

Ergo, given that ECIGSSA has over 130 supporting vendors and nearly six and a half thousand 'members', I'd opine that it may be considered as rather more representative as 'The United Voice for the Vaping Community' than VPASA at the moment. (as opposed to the 'Products Industry').

Then again maybe that's just me, pulling my pudding.

M_tu

Last edited:
I have now watched the video.

I don’t know VPASA, don’t know where they came from or where they are going or what their agenda is. But if they convened this panel for what appeared to be an informed debate attended by the media, then they did us a favour.

In my opinion the panel cast vaping in a positive light.

Watch the whole video as @DizZa recommended.

A lot of very good points were made on vaping and the panel’s approach was objective and positive.

Would it not be a step in the right direction for the admins and moderators on Ecigssa to form a committee to represent our collective voice (all 6,500 of us)?

Your points are noted @Warlock , thanks

Just so you know, we have been in touch with EASA for some time. They had a stand at VapeCon 2016.

It would also be great if VPASA had a presence on the forum and explained to the community what their goals are and kept us abreast of developments.

Lets see how it goes...

Maybe some of our vendors who are members can chime in here in their personal capacity of course

Funny you mention it, one name that immediately springs to mind would be the Throat Punch guys. If for no other reason than that's what usually has to be done with government officials to get their attention....

Last edited:
watching this thread with interest

Allow me to assuage your interest.. (reposted with express permission of the source.)
Martin_tu
profile_mask2.png

Tariro Chinaka
09:08 (5 hours ago) to Hayley, me

Dear Martin,

I trust this email finds you well. It has come to our attention that you still have questions surrounding the revamp and rebrand of EASA now known as VPA. The rebrand came about as a result of the need for a strong, visual brand, with key messaging in line with the current socio-political thinking. Due to increasing pressure from the government over regulations in the industry, a strong brand that represented the interests of all players in the industry was necessary in order to make an impact. There was a need for an industry association that was active and served the needs of its members well.

As this is essentially a new start, we are still in the process of confirming both members and board members and are currently in the process of retaining and recruiting members. Additionally, we have applied for NPO status and that process is currently underway. We have registered and will provide you with the NPO number as soon as the process has been finalised. Rest assured, we will be compliant legally. I would like to draw your attention to various other industry body organisations that have NGO / NP status and a membership structure which requires their members to pay fees: NEPAD Business Foundation, APMSA, SA Tourism Services Association to name a few.

With regards to africapractice's role; we are a strategic advisory firm, that has been assisting VPA with the revamp. We advise some of the largest institutions, companies and investors on the continent on strategy and communications, and are in no way aligned to any government in Africa.

You can find out more about our company and examples of our work on our website: www.africapractice.com ; our linkedin page https://www.linkedin.com/company/africapractice and our twitter page @africapractice. Should you have anymore queries in this regard, I am happy to put our global CEO Marcus Courage in touch. I have also copied in our Senior Consultant in South Africa, Hayley Alfers, should you have any direct response to this message.

Kind regards,
Tariro.
END.

(Ms Alfers looks quite professional, I wonder if she'd be interested in attending the get-together, although it's perhaps not my place to make the suggestion; https://www.linkedin.com/in/hayley-alfers-7534145/)

Last edited:
Hi All,
I know this thred is old, but what is the progress on this VPSA issue. are they the only united voice for us? are the fees really that high?
What are we doing to engage government on regulations about to come through.
ECigSA should be our one voice ( just my 2 cents)

Back