Vaping banned in India

The South African government's ineptitude and greed should benefit us. They wont ban vaping, not when there is an opportunity to levy some tax or another on vapers.

https://theprint.in/india/governanc...of-itc-indias-biggest-cigarette-maker/293547/
19 Sept. 2019

Govt has banned vapes, but owns 28% of ITC – India’s biggest cigarette maker
The Union government and state-owned companies together held a 28.64 per cent stake in ITC as of June end.

The Narendra Modi government Wednesday announced a complete ban on e-cigarettes, citing the risk they posed to India’s youth.
However, it is a little known fact that the Union government is a shareholder in the largest domestic manufacturer of conventional cigarettes, which have been proven to cause cancer and other ailments. This makes India’s government perhaps the only one in the world with a stake in a cigarette company, and raises questions about a potential conflict of interest in the ban on e-cigarettes.

The government and state-owned companies together held a 28.64 per cent stake in ITC as of June end.

The Centre on its own had a 7.96 per cent stake through the Specified Undertaking of the Unit Trust of India (SUUTI), the administrator that manages the funds of the erstwhile Unit Trust of India (UTI) on behalf of the government. In addition, many state-owned insurance companies are also shareholders in ITC, with the Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) owning the largest chunk at 16.3 per cent as of June end.

The General Insurance Corporation, meanwhile, has a 1.73 per cent stake, the New India Assurance Company 1.52 per cent, and the Oriental Insurance Company, 1.11 per cent.

https://theprint.in/india/governanc...of-itc-indias-biggest-cigarette-maker/293547/
19 Sept. 2019

Govt has banned vapes, but owns 28% of ITC – India’s biggest cigarette maker
The Union government and state-owned companies together held a 28.64 per cent stake in ITC as of June end.

The Narendra Modi government Wednesday announced a complete ban on e-cigarettes, citing the risk they posed to India’s youth.
However, it is a little known fact that the Union government is a shareholder in the largest domestic manufacturer of conventional cigarettes, which have been proven to cause cancer and other ailments. This makes India’s government perhaps the only one in the world with a stake in a cigarette company, and raises questions about a potential conflict of interest in the ban on e-cigarettes.

The government and state-owned companies together held a 28.64 per cent stake in ITC as of June end.

The Centre on its own had a 7.96 per cent stake through the Specified Undertaking of the Unit Trust of India (SUUTI), the administrator that manages the funds of the erstwhile Unit Trust of India (UTI) on behalf of the government. In addition, many state-owned insurance companies are also shareholders in ITC, with the Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) owning the largest chunk at 16.3 per cent as of June end.

The General Insurance Corporation, meanwhile, has a 1.73 per cent stake, the New India Assurance Company 1.52 per cent, and the Oriental Insurance Company, 1.11 per cent.

You can’t ban vaping but allow smoking
Man that’s so dumb

Methinks the Indian Government needs to acquire some stakes in the leading vaping companies

Aaaarrghhh!

Vaping Ban in India has hit headlines everywhere in the world except India :facepalm:.
I asked 2 vapers that I know,
Vaper 1:- sells DIY-liquid materials so he knew about the ban
Vaper 2:- was clueless and said he is still vaping like usual and was shocked to know that vaping has been banned in India.
Both of them are from Mumbai(my home) and vaping has been banned for ages there because they are not Taxed or fall under any regulations.
Last December when I was in India for a month I only saw one guy vaping, I was happy and sad at the same time. Dont know about the future of vaping in India now but it was not that bright before this stupid law was passed.

See also this post, warning people that vapes are confiscated at airports in India.

Back