"Vaping" deaths - easy explanation for non-vapers

Hooked

Vapin' up a Storm
LV

Awards
I'm sure that many of us have had non-vapers quoting the media and telling us how bad vaping is. How does one begin to explain the whole saga, when they don't even know what authentic e-liquid is? One has to explain it in a way in which they can understand, using their frame of reference, not ours.

I explain it as follows and I can see the light of understanding begin to flash in their eyes, though they still need to digest the information.

Non-vaper: People are dying from vaping.

Me: They weren't vaping the stuff that we vape. Firstly, they were vaping weed which was bought on the blackmarket and, secondly, Vitamin E oil had been added to it and one is not supposed to inhale Vitamin E oil. It was the Vitamin E oil which made them sick and caused the deaths.

Let me ask you a question. Is food dangerous? Could something that you eat make you sick or even die?

Non-vaper: Well, it depends on what you eat. Like fish or chicken that has gone off.

Me: And what about salad?

Non-vaper: No, that's fine.

Me: So in other words, it's not eating that's dangerous. It's what you eat that is dangerous. Right? Do you agree?

Non-vaper: Right!

Me: It's the same with vaping. It depends on what one vapes. Eating is an action. It's not the action which is dangerous. It's what you eat that could make you sick. Vaping is an action. It's not the vaping which is dangerous. It's what you vape that could make you sick.

----------
This is my recipe and I'm sticking to it!

Definitely, as having worked in IT for so long, it is sometimes easy to forget to explain in the kind of terminology that the non-IT people will understand. One friend had such example of using antivirus and why it is so important - she always asked her customers if they would go to a brothel without a condom and they would say no so that got them understanding why we need antivirus, even if there are the few minority not using the internet - we will always have some form of infection through file transfer, yeah even at work the usual file needs to be treated as suspect until it's cleared through antivirus scanning.

Definitely, as having worked in IT for so long, it is sometimes easy to forget to explain in the kind of terminology that the non-IT people will understand. One friend had such example of using antivirus and why it is so important - she always asked her customers if they would go to a brothel without a condom and they would say no so that got them understanding why we need antivirus, even if there are the few minority not using the internet - we will always have some form of infection through file transfer, yeah even at work the usual file needs to be treated as suspect until it's cleared through antivirus scanning.

I can't help wondering what kind of customers your friend had :-D

I am definitely using this one :risas3:

Back