Vaping in the workplace. Your thoughts?

Hi guys

I work in a mall so there is a bit of a grey area when it comes to vaping as there is a twisp kiosk in the mall and they always tootlepuffing away
I myself get a bit annoyed when i see people blowing big clouds as they walk around in the mall as it does not reflect well IMO on vaping.But i go outside for a vape in the smoking area and there i tend to chuck a few clouds myself.It's quite funny as when i do all the "smoking buddies' come creeping out of the woodwork

There is a new vendor that has just set up shop in the main entrance in a "twisp like kiosk" and aggravates me when he stands there blowing big clouds all over the place.I think most people would agree that first impressions last and does not bode well for vaping in general

@Rob Fisher can I forward you my CV :)

Seriously though, as nice as it would be to take a hit or two at my desk, I think its still better to go outside or to a dedicated area. Something along the lines of obnoxious smells, etc.

Gotta practice my stealth vapes though - is there a medal for pulling it off in a highly occupied open plan area?

I Vape in my office where I work alone, but I blow on the floor to dissipate the fog. I try not too blow massive clouds. My door is 3 quarters closed. I get the odd questions but I tell my colleagues that it is harmless Vape. No one has complained yet. I am much more productive as it takes time to take a lift downstairs and to spend 10 minutes for one cigarette. If I am a plus minus 10 to 15 a day smoker at work, do the maths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone,

So this is something that crosses my mind from time to time.

What are your thoughts on vaping in your workplace?

I know some employees do not have a problem with it and others frown upon it. Is there a law in South Africa that actually refers to the use Electronic Cigarettes in the workplace or inside a building? I love the idea of sitting at my desk and vaping and from a productivity point of view it is great. Having said that I think I would also feel slightly uncomfortable blowing clouds inside. I already feel slightly uncomfortable vaping in my car as you will often see people driving by giving you strange looks. Should we feel this uncomfortable? I had a cigarette smoker complain the other day as my vape was going in his face!!! Because yeah I am the problem :SOREHEAD:
Before I retired vapeing on the job was never a problem,nobody ever complained of the smell.But then again I worked at a waste water treatment plant.

I vape in my off-periods while working on my computer in class. Learners that enter the next lesson always have a positive comment on the smell lingering in the air.
Otherwise i will never smoke indoors at work and join the staff still smoking during break times. I enjoy producing clouds that make their smoke look like monkey farts.

i go outside and vape with my friends in the smoking area. Fortunately it is outside and not in a smokers room like the previous place I was at. In my car, I vape up a storm! Windows open though, still want to see through the windscreen, but I also used to smoke in my car, so was no biggie for me.

I had a cigarette smoker complain the other day as my vape was going in his face!!!
- This happened to me with my wife sometimes. And I was not even blowing in her face. But she's now since gotten more used to it and she even takes a few puffs from me every now and then.

I just see it as the same as smoking, if i can't smoke somewhere i won't vape there
- I agree. I did in the beginning push my luck a few times, but then I stopped and now vape only where I can smoke.

i wouldnt appreciate someone blowing smoke or vapour in my face its just rude.. smoke being far more offensive though
- Alas, because the vapour is so big, it does blow into smokers faces every now and then. I try my best to not have it blow in anyone's face by blowing up into the air or such, but any slight wind and it goes where it likes.

My general rule is that I don't vape except in designated smoking areas.
At work I am quite lucky as I have not had any complaints about vaping at my desk - it is quite a spacious open plan office and then is nobody is close proximity though.

Myself and a colleague both vape in our closed off office cubicle we in, sometimes even hot box it. People I work with don't have a problem at all with it, yet...

this year my wish-list is to work in a Vape Friendly I.T. office. One perk of vaping and not using stinkies is when its pouring outside I go to the gents and have a puff and blow the clouds out the window. Now whos gona argue with the smell of smacaroons or coffee cake instead of urine and farts lol

this year my wish-list is to work in a Vape Friendly I.T. office. One perk of vaping and not using stinkies is when its pouring outside I go to the gents and have a puff and blow the clouds out the window. Now whos gona argue with the smell of smacaroons or coffee cake instead of urine and farts lol

But you are inhaling an alleged hallucinogen along with your coffee cake or smacaroons...:eek:

I have my own office and can vape in it , although the boss is not a big fan .....

Hey everyone,

So this is something that crosses my mind from time to time.

What are your thoughts on vaping in your workplace?

I know some employees do not have a problem with it and others frown upon it. Is there a law in South Africa that actually refers to the use Electronic Cigarettes in the workplace or inside a building? I love the idea of sitting at my desk and vaping and from a productivity point of view it is great. Having said that I think I would also feel slightly uncomfortable blowing clouds inside. I already feel slightly uncomfortable vaping in my car as you will often see people driving by giving you strange looks. Should we feel this uncomfortable? I had a cigarette smoker complain the other day as my vape was going in his face!!! Because yeah I am the problem :SOREHEAD:

Sup Cuzzy, I think at the end of the day it boils down to your employer, the other employees, and your personal opinion on the subject.

At my previous job, my boss and all the okes I was sharing an office with were cool with me vaping in the office. Started off with a little twisp at the time. Even when I ventured off into drippers they were still cool with me chucking clouds at the office, but over time I stared to feel like a douche clouding up the office, so I started vaping outside.

At my new job, the vibes different and my new boss thinks its a hooka pipe even though Iv explained countless times that its not. :bash: Even though I now have my own office, I still vape outside. Haven't even thought to ask him if he would be okay with me vaping in the office. For me I like to get away from the PC for a few minutes, get some fresh air, chug a vape, and clear my head before I go back to the grind.

But I understand that that can be challenging for guys who work in a building in the CBD area or something and need to go to the ground floor. haha Id go chuck on the roof:applaudit:

Also that reminds me, I need to go for a vape:triumph:

Last edited:
I would enjoy it if my work place was Vape Friendly,
but its not, however i only vape outside in designated areas, this applies to malls or anywhere outside my home for that matter.
my habit shouldnt have to bother other people

I don't vape inside but we have a hubbly area and designated smoking areas all over so whenever needed I can vape easily. I've had the CEO walk up to me and ask for a drag while I was just chillin at my desk. So he clearly doesnt mind it but I feel that some people might get tired of the constant fruity smelling air.

Last week the wind blew some clouds into the office and one girl was all excited yelling "Het ons n spookasem masjien gekry!"

So little off topic but still on it.We did the cruise to nowhere on the MSC Sinfonia from Cape Town in earlier this month.

My mate and I had our trusty minikins with us wherever we went.So the deck with the pools only have one smoking side,where we sat everytime out of respect.Then there was the Irish Pub,which is a smoking pub with an enclosed cigar lounge.

So this oke and his vrou come into the cigar lounge while we puffing away on our minikins,nothing big,and eventually giving us kak looks while puffing his Pall Mall Blue's...

It was at this moment I whipped out the goon,tilted the minikin to 105W and started chasing clouds...He didnt even finish his drink...

Sent from my Nokia 3310

I vape at work at my desk, which is basically on the sales floor of our showroom. I try not to blow huge clouds, we have 4 fans is a 5metre radius as our showroom gets a bit hot. I have one colleague that complains that the vape makes her cough ( I would say she just complains for the sake of it, the same colleague complained that smokers take smokes breaks and she wants the same amount of time off everyday ). In public, I will chuck a cloud if its not crowded or if I'm outside.

Well i have it made then if i listen to all the stories…

I have my own business (well 50%, my brother is the other 50%)
Me and him have one office we share and is connected to another office with our 5 ladies
that run the Finances,HR ect….

Now everyone used to smoke (including myself) until i started vaping…..
Now everyone is Vaping.
And now the Office is in a constant state of Grey haze. (just joking,we leave the windows open)
when you sit and listen carefully it sounds like theres an "iron lung" around here somewhere…
as 7 people vaping away in the office

Our office buidling and grounds has been delcared smoke free. Due to the rule that you cannot smoke within 10m from open windows/doors/venitlation, there is litterally a 30cmx30cm pice of land where you are legally allowed to smoke. And besides I used to be the only smoker that openly smoked for the past 3 years, so they declared it smoke free.
Just after I got my first setup, I was walking down the hall and deep in thought about the outcome of a meeting, I took a nice long drag and let off some steam. My manager just told me, please take it outside. Since then I only vape in the mensroom or outside. On extremely hot or wet days I use the loo, otherwise I go outside.

As for any other place, I like may others treat the no-smoking sign as a no-vaping sign. You do not know who is going to share that space with you, kids/pregnant women/the elderly. And I do not want to offend anyone.

SIDE NOTE: I have noticed, the moment I vape at home at night, my daughter starts coughing. I go outside, but I guess the wind can blow the clouds into her room. So I have tested this and instead of going out in front, I go outside the back, NOTHING. She must he sensitive to something in the vapour.

I work in a vape shop. If a customer walks in, and can see the counter in front of him then i'm not doing my job properly :campeon:;)
Hahaha! I can imagine that in your shop it's considered rude to ask to see something, you have to ask to feel it because of all the clouds!

It's a little difficult at my workplace as you get sent to the smoking area but in the safety of my office I am a Vaping God and answer to no one! Well, until they open the door without knocking and quickly ask... "What was that? Dude are you SMOKING?!".

Company policy needs to be reviewed because none of our smoking areas are sheltered so if it's raining, you have nowhere to go. Or you see us scurrying into the car park to huddle under the awnings. But yeah, most times Vaping causes more curiosity than animosity... But we are quite limited due to ignorance.

Back