Vaptio S150 ATC Kit Review

Stosta

Sith Lord
LV

Awards
Hi Guys and Gals!

I was lucky enough to receive the new Vaptio S150 kit from @Heaven Gifts for review purposes, so here it is!

The thing that Vaptio is hoping to achieve with this mod is “true” temperature control through an “Accurate Temperature Control” (ATC) system. It has a three-pin design, aimed at a more accurate temperature reading. From what it looks like, this refers to a pin in the 510 of the mod, an extra one through the center of the 510 on the tank, and one in the ATC coil. There seems to be a chip in the coil that measures heat as well, but I will have to tear apart one of two coils to find out, so that will wait for a bit.

ATC.jpg

Contents

Vaptio S150 Mod
Vaptio S150 ATC Tank
2 Coils (1 ATC and 1 regular Kanthal)
USB Cable
1 Manual

The Stats

1 – 150 Watts
0.1 – 4ohms (VW) and 0.05 – 2ohms (VT)
3ml Capacity tank
VW, Ni, Ti, SS, and ATC modes
Dual 18650s Required
USB Charging Supported
Protection for Over 10s use, Short Circuit, Overheating, and low battery.

Packaging

This set came really nicely packed. It had all the above and also a little certificate showing that it had passed quality control. The mod itself was wrapped in a thin plastic, a nice touch to ensure its safety (even though it wasn’t going anywhere with the foam inserts). Professional, and good quality overall.

CompleteKit.jpg

The Long Bit

I got the black kit (matt black, less fingerprints!) with the red accents, and I must say, it is a good looking device. The box is rounded one side, and flat on the other, with a slight bulge on the sides, so it fits really comfortably in my hand. It is a traditional setup of a fire button, two adjustment buttons, and an OLED screen. The font used in the display has a bit of flair to it, and is a great change from the normal blocks that we get. It is a big mod, measuring 95mm(h) x 54mm(l) x 22mm(w), and reasonably heavy, which I prefer, as it seems sturdier.

OLED.jpg
(Excuse the odd setting, trying to show as many digits as possible)

Batteries are inserted through a nifty little clip at the bottom of the mod, with ventilation on the door.

The tank is a great piece of workmanship. It has a top-fill section, that I was worried wouldn’t close properly, but it does, furthermore, there is no closing of juice controls, just pull open, fill, close, vape! The top-fill has two holes, so that it allows for the replaced air to escape without creating bubbles, another nice little touch. It has two different airflow settings at the base, and then an airflow control on the drip tip. Fully closed tip on the lower base setting, lends to an excellent MTL vape! The tank has no RBA feature, and only uses commercial coils.

Topfill.jpg

The mod and the tank look great together! Buttons are smooth, no rattle, and no obnoxious clicking all the time (that really bothers my wife when we’re watching TV). Increments in VW climb at 0.1 watts, but if you hold it down it will then start moving at 0.5, and then 1W increments.

ModandTank.jpg

There was some confusion (between myself and my imaginary friend Clarence), the kit came with two coils and didn’t say anything more about them. On further searching, I found that one of them is an ATC coil, and one is a regular Kanthal coil. Starting with what I know, I put in the regular coil, filled up the tank, and went for it.

ATCvsNormal.jpg

This gives an incredible vape experience (even Clarence agreed, and that bastard doesn’t like anything)! The flavour is better than any other commercial coil I have used (which granted isn’t vast, but that is because the RBA usually trumps them by miles, but this was a better vape than my favourite 0.4 on my Crius). The 3ml tank disappeared very fast, but the flavour really was on point. I put my Crius on, and it takes it all no problem, so you’re not restricted to the S150 tank, the mod will accept all tanks, and all coil builds as stated above.

Obviously though, the draw-card is the ATC feature of this setup. So I put in the ATC coil, and went ahead. This setup vaped just as well on VW, and really it is a spectacular experience. Switching over to the ATC mode, it seemed to work as well. I have never really been a fan of TC, I prefer the control I have with my vape in VW mode, and I don't feel I got the full value of their ATC design. Even at 300C the ATC coil wasn't producing nearly as much vapour as I would have liked, but it was at least consistent. However, using the normal TC mode (as opposed to the ATC feature) came with no problems whatsoever, and did performed as one would expect. This is a great way to start into TC though, as it doesn't allow you to adjust TCR values it is relatively noob friendly, and is a case of putting it all together and vaping. I lack the patience to play around too much with my vape, and this is perfect for me.

The ATC system is supposed to measure the temperature through the chip in the coil, and from what I gather it has previously been done by measuring the changes in resistance in the coil. It seems that this mod does the same, but the chip allows for a more accurate reading of the change in resistance. It is a bit disconcerting at first (watching the resistance figure on the OLED slowly climb and drop), but seems to pull it off.

The Short Bit

Great looking bit of kit. The tank is nice, and the vape you get from the commercial coils is really outstanding! I’m hoping that coils become available for this pretty soon, and aren’t too heavily priced. Even better, if they released an RBA base that one could use in ATC mode for this kit, it would be perfect! I’m going to my friends place this weekend (real, not Clarence) to take a dremel to find this “Chip-in-Coil” technology. I don’t think it will be replacing any DNA200’s yet, but it’s always nice to see someone doing something different.

I can’t say whether or not the ATC system is an improvement on what we already have available. But this is a great kit, at a really decent price, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what Vaptio can bring to us in the future.

That pretty much covers the start of my experiences with this mod, let me know if you want me to check anything else out.

PS - You guys can win one of these devices here...

http://www.ecigssa.co.za/vaptio-s150-giveaway-win-build-in-sensor-atc-device.t22627/

Back