Volt, Amp, Ohm, Watt and their origins.

DaveH

Vaping Enthusiast
LV

Awards
The four main units of electricity we use in vaping are:

Ampere or Amp. Also known as current. This is a base unit such as meter, second, kilogram. i.e. it is a given.

Volt. Derived unit. Also known as emf (electro motive force) or potential difference.

Ohm. Derived unit, Also known as resistance

Watt. Derived unit. Referred to as power - that is to say the rate at which energy is used per second.

Note. The letter R or r is still used to denote resistance. Also the letter I to denote current.

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points.

By introducing the constant of proportionality, the resistance, this gives rise to the usual mathematical equation V=IR

or as Ohm stated I=V/R

The names used are to honour the great scientist whose work and endeavour led to our further understanding of our physical world.

Ampere nearly always shortened to Amp. It is named after André-Marie Ampère (1775–1836), French mathematician and physicist, considered the father of electrodynamics. One of the founders of the science of classical electromagnetism, credited with the invention of the solenoid.

Volt. It is named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta (1745–1827). He developed the voltaic pile, a forerunner of the battery, which produced a steady (dc) electric current.

Ohm. Named after German physicist Georg Simon Ohm.( 16 March 1789 – 6 July 1854) was a German physicist and mathematician. As a school teacher, Ohm began his research with the new electrochemical cell, invented by Italian scientist Alessandro Volta. Using equipment of his own creation, Ohm found that there is a direct proportionality between the potential difference (voltage) applied across a conductor and the resultant electric current. This relationship is known as Ohm's law.

Watt. James Watt (30 January 1736 – 25 August 1819) was a Scottish inventor, mechanical engineer, and chemist. His development of the steam engine into The Watt Steam Engine was instrumental in the Industrial Revolution. He developed the concept of horsepower, and the SI unit of power (the watt), was named after him.

Symbols:

Volt; V

Amp; A

Ohm; Ω(Omega is the 24th and last letter of the Greek alphabet and means the ‘Big O’)

Watt: W

Their symbols are always CAPITALS because it is from a person’s name. i.e. 4.2V, 20A, or 20mAh.

Power in a circuit can be found by W = VI or W = I^2R or W = V^2 /R

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks @DaveH !!
Only caught up with it now

Much appreciated

So who would have thought we would be referring to units on a daily basis that have their origins credited to a Frenchman, an Italian, a German and a Scotsman ! Wow!

Back