Warning: Fake Aw Batteries

I sent Gizmo an email with my order number, but he hasn't answered me. Does your offer still stand about the authentic batteries Gizmo? I sent you and email more than a week ago.

Rather pm him

Kudos to @johan for bringing this to everyone's attention, and to the affected retailers for their positive reactions. I would like some advice about this matter though, as I don't really want to buy some additional genuine batteries when the fakes I have seem to be working correctly (thanks anyway @Gizmo :))

These are only used in electronic VV/VW mods (SVD & CoolFire II) powering PT3's with standard coils at 8.0 Watts (lowest 1.5 ohms), do not get warm in use, and seem to last an acceptable amount of time. My understanding is that just about any battery is safe in a device like this, ICR or IMR, so I have nothing to worry about. Or not?

Kudos to @johan for bringing this to everyone's attention, and to the affected retailers for their positive reactions. I would like some advice about this matter though, as I don't really want to buy some additional genuine batteries when the fakes I have seem to be working correctly (thanks anyway @Gizmo :))

These are only used in electronic VV/VW mods (SVD & CoolFire II) powering PT3's with standard coils at 8.0 Watts (lowest 1.5 ohms), do not get warm in use, and seem to last an acceptable amount of time. My understanding is that just about any battery is safe in a device like this, ICR or IMR, so I have nothing to worry about. Or not?

I use mine in the svd as well, no issues, i think where the problem comes in is when you use it on mechs and sub ohm coils

Sent from my S4 LTE using my finger

The issue with fakes for me is that you have absolutely no idea what the amp limit or mah of the cell under the wrapper actually is. Counterfeiters are known to scavenge cells from whatever they can get their hands on, so you could end up with 2 cells that have identical (fake) wrappers but are actually completely different inside. Just because one of the fakes perform well, doesn't mean the next one will. Whether you are using a regulated mod or a mech, you push a cell too hard and it will go bang. Too many unknowns in that equation for me.

After 3 posts I have to mention this: I did test all 8 fAW's I have, and please NOTE! I don't recommend anybody doing it or using it as I do; the 18650's I tested to an average of 15.52A continuously before they started to get hot and the 18350's I tested to an average 11,47A continuously before they started to get hot. I use both the batteries on coils of 0.5 Ohms comfortably with a tested safety margin. PLEASE NOTE: don't do the same because I do it, as fakes can not be the same in each batch and rather use as recommended by @360twin [COLOR=#ff0000]and heed to[/COLOR] @drew's warning above.

Last edited:
My friend reported to me, that one of his fAW batteries started leaking out inside his mech mod the other day. His coil was 1.2ohm which I built for him about a week ago.

My friend reported to me, that one of his fAW batteries started leaking out inside his mech mod the other day. His coil was 1.2ohm which I built for him about a week ago.

Hope you told him to dispose of it safe / discreetly ;)

@johan will a battery give any signs of failing such as getting warm/hot before it explodes or can it just happen?

@johan will a battery give any signs of failing such as getting warm/hot before it explodes or can it just happen?

Getting warm/hot is not always a precursor to venting and/or exploding, but in most cases it will first become extremely hot before such an event. ie. A dead short for a few seconds will not give you enough "warning signs"

Back