Weekend Projects

Thanks @Silver it was a joint effort and it took a lot of time sorting and correcting the stone,bit its done and they're happyIMG_20221228_102632.jpg
This is what it looks like this morning. My brother will still do skirting and a border around the archway.
Edit: this is repurposed stone tiles.

Last edited:
Hi all. I want to cut the bottoms of some glass bottles as cleanly as possible and as close as possible to the bottom. I want the bottoms to use as spacers on top of some fermenting and pickling projects for food preserves. Importing them isn't cost effective. Anyone with some experience?
Preferably with no fancy gadgets.
I have done two with a hot wire on a battery charger but keeping the wire taught and straight on glass isn't easy. Tried holding the wire with insulation tape but it is the first to burn.
I did find a flapper disc on an angle grinder cleans them up quite well.
Thanks in advance.

Hi all. I want to cut the bottoms of some glass bottles as cleanly as possible and as close as possible to the bottom. I want the bottoms to use as spacers on top of some fermenting and pickling projects for food preserves. Importing them isn't cost effective. Anyone with some experience?
Preferably with no fancy gadgets.
I have done two with a hot wire on a battery charger but keeping the wire taught and straight on glass isn't easy. Tried holding the wire with insulation tape but it is the first to burn.
I did find a flapper disc on an angle grinder cleans them up quite well.
Thanks in advance.
Hi @Stew
Cutting glass bottles is tricky but becomes easy with practice. I use a Glass cutter, hot and cold water. There are tutorials on YouTube.
The method you mention works OK when used in conjunction with a glass cutter to score the glass and cold water to snap it.

@Stew another method I've tried and it works

Thank you for all the time and trouble you have gone to to help me @Resistance I will go through everything meticulously. I actually need to cut them where the curve of the bottle is where the bottom becomes the side. Most people cut a bottle somewhere up or down the side of the bottle which is some what easier.
Thanks again.

This is more or less what I want but from a few different sized bottles to fit a few different size jars.20230501_205759.jpg20230501_205751.jpg

This is more or less what I want but from a few different sized bottles to fit a few different size jars.View attachment 272711View attachment 272712
@Stew the same rule applies. I've done that before and it's a bit easier getting that part off the rest of the bottle due to the thicker glass.
Suggestion...
Get yourself a knipper and some diamond polishing pads(tork craft) knipper is to knip the parts that didn't break lekka and the polishing pads works better than the flap disks and what's great about them is it can be used with water(actually works better)1682968925040193250745474634434.jpg (this one I use for tiles) to minimize and control the dust particles while aiding in and actually polishing of the glass edges in the same action.
16829690752335867409065519632459.jpgyou get a set with different grits. You'll need to get the velcro pad separately

Screenshot_20230501_212848_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230501_212824_com.android.chrome.jpg
I use a R50 angle grinder sanding padScreenshot_20230501_213113.jpg
OK this one is R94. I paid R50 a while back. It can be used in an angle grinder or a drill with the mandrel attached

Fantastic. Thanks @Resistance Looks like some great suggestions.
@Stew, morning. Get one heavier than 100, maybe the 50 gritty for sanding down and then the 100 should polish it reasonable good.
My suggestion for cutting the bottle is to score the bottom where you want it cut and just breaking the bottle in a bag. Creates less mess.
That's unless you want to use the rest of the bottle.

Ps. Use light oil on the glass cutter wheel. It gives you a better score line and a cleaner break.

@Stew, morning. Get one heavier than 100, maybe the 50 gritty for sanding down and then the 100 should polish it reasonable good.
My suggestion for cutting the bottle is to score the bottom where you want it cut and just breaking the bottle in a bag. Creates less mess.
That's unless you want to use the rest of the bottle.

Ps. Use light oil on the glass cutter wheel. It gives you a better score line and a cleaner break.
Thanks. Will do.

Back