Welcome to the HE - High End Gear section

I would love to see a concise definition of High End Gear. Up to now I thought this was the realm of hand-made mechs only so clearly I have the wrong end of the stick. So instead of assuming I am asking so I can understand.

I don't think there is a concise definition. Maybe @Takie has one but my entry into HE is real new so I'm still feeling my way. I don't think we need to get bogged down on what's HE and what's not... but I think it's pretty clear that the HE threads are for special mods and atties and not your run of the mill easily available goodies.

It's easy - high end is stuff which is way more than I can afford :tongueclosed:
LOL... I was taking that for granted. But I have learned that this hobby of mine is not easily satisfied with b-grade gear...
I don't think there is a concise definition. Maybe @Takie has one but my entry into HE is real new so I'm still feeling my way. I don't think we need to get bogged down on what's HE and what's not... but I think it's pretty clear that the HE threads are for special mods and atties and not your run of the mill easily available goodies.
So if I hand build a quality box with a DNA board and make it look too good to want to sell will it qualify? Because in my mind the most simple definition is 'a craftsman got involved'

Just curious Rob but would say an SX mini G series be considered high end?
IMO not really, it uses cast zinc alloy which is the domain of mass production and the SS parts are probably stamped too.

I would say "high end" would mostly be milling and custom fabrications, ie not something you can do on an assembly line.

IMO not really, it uses cast zinc alloy which is the domain of mass production and the SS parts are probably stamped too.

I would say "high end" would mostly be milling and custom fabrications, ie not something you can do on an assembly line.
I guess your criteria is semi hand made one of a kindish types. I can dig that ,only that the sx g series really resonated with me function wise.

I see this thread as motivation to work harder so I can post here without my wife batting an eye at my purchases ;) in the meantime I will just stare in awe
Maybe this thread will motivate us to save our pennies and buy that one special mod that all good forum members deserve.

what are the websites that you guys purchased these beautiful devices from?

what are the websites that you guys purchased these beautiful devices from?

Unfortunately the real High End goodies are only available in certain hidden groups on FB and you have to be invited in... and then they put up lists for people to X1 in and if it's over subscribed (which they very often are) then it's a lucky draw... and there are also auctions with the highest bidder winning.

www.vapinart.com is a good start!

Unfortunately the real High End goodies are only available in certain hidden groups on FB and you have to be invited in... and then they put up lists for people to X1 in and if it's over subscribed (which they very often are) then it's a lucky draw... and there are also auctions with the highest bidder winning.

www.vapinart.com is a good start!

Look what I found there @Rob Fisher

http://www.vapinart.com/cart/Hussar-RTA-Single-Coil-P2920.aspx

5.7ml single coil tank - sounds very good!

Yip that's one on it's way... made in Poland.

Mine is being anodised to match the Viking Mythos! :D

Looking forward to hearing about the Hussar Rob!
It has a long thin chimney which in my mind speaks flavour ...

Last edited:
GEM tank. Flavour, flavour, flavour.

Dteat81.jpg

Closest I get to HE is a Reo with a Hellfire Viper atty :D

where are these items available to buy and what makes them "high end" a high price does not necessarily mean high quality

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

where are these items available to buy and what makes them "high end" a high price does not necessarily mean high quality

Scroll up in this thread and you will find one of the web sites that handle High End mods and tanks.

High price does indeed not mean high quality... but in the case of my first two purchases of the Skyline RTA and the Hellfire Phantom I can assure you that they are both of the highest quality and worth every cent!

I reckon my Pico would right at home in this thread

:FADDANCING::FADDANCING:

The Pico kit is still a fine setup and probably the best value for money setup around... I gave my brother in law one yesterday for Xmas and he was over the moon with the quality of the device and the quality of the Vape... he is a happy chappie. It may not be classified as High End but it is certainly classified as an awesome device!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hey bud its not only the high prices its also the availabilty and craftsmanship that makes something High End.

Also dont stress to much about High End Mods but more about high end tanks as thats what in the end is gonna give you the vapour and not the Mod.

HE mods are most definatly pretty to look at and made out of beautiful materials that are hand crafted and equiped with state of the art chips, but you can purchase a Mod not High End that will give you an amazing and same vape that a high end piece would would give ie mods with dna/sx chip.

My quick 2c about HE....

Been in the knife community for some time now and the difference as many have stated is in the time and craftsmanship it takes to make a mod. Now I'm still on the fence about attys as its a CNC thing vs hand made same as in the knife world. HE to me means hand made to some degree mean it hand finishing or exotic materials etc. Tanks not so sure about CNC is CNC if it's mass produced or limited quantities.... Might be a can of worms I'm opening up but just my humble opinion...

My quick 2c about HE....

Been in the knife community for some time now and the difference as many have stated is in the time and craftsmanship it takes to make a mod. Now I'm still on the fence about attys as its a CNC thing vs hand made same as in the knife world. HE to me means hand made to some degree mean it hand finishing or exotic materials etc. Tanks not so sure about CNC is CNC if it's mass produced or limited quantities.... Might be a can of worms I'm opening up but just my humble opinion...

Very valid point @Daniel... but in the case of the Skyline and other HE tanks I think unique design and perfect functionality comes into it as well. And I don't know if they just have better CNC machines or the materials are better or they are hand finished but the quality is way ahead of the pack.

When I ordered the Skyline I was so sceptical as to how it could be 5 times the cost of a SM25... and while it is certainly not 5 times better than a SM25 it is really worth the price tag. Every single Mod and Tank I own are sitting in the display case and only the Skyline is operational.

The coming weeks are going to be really interesting as I get 3 more other HE tanks...

Am I glad I dipped my toe into the HE Vape Scene? My wallet certainly isn't but you betcha I am...

Very valid point @Daniel... but in the case of the Skyline and other HE tanks I think unique design and perfect functionality comes into it as well. And I don't know if they just have better CNC machines or the materials are better or they are hand finished but the quality is way ahead of the pack.

When I ordered the Skyline I was so sceptical as to how it could be 5 times the cost of a SM25... and while it is certainly not 5 times better than a SM25 it is really worth the price tag. Every single Mod and Tank I own are sitting in the display case and only the Skyline is operational.

The coming weeks are going to be really interesting as I get 3 more other HE tanks...

Am I glad I dipped my toe into the HE Vape Scene? My wallet certainly isn't but you betcha I am...
Very well put had the same conundrum with knives but priorities brought me back to earth. If the vape is marginally better I can not justify it just my deduction. Same as with knives a R1000 knife cuts just as well as a R5000 knife (and I have spent that on a knife Sebenza 25). So to me it's purely priorities vaping is a great pass time for me but I can't justify the cost vs reality. Don't get me wrong the HE tanks are probably worth it but can't see me spending that amount of Tom on a marginally better vape experience.....

My quick 2c about HE....

I was also pondering the same thing, theres only so many ways to cut tank threads, manual lathe or CNC.
Perhaps the HE tanks are manually cut on a lathe where tolerances can be better set, dunno if thats a thing even. :)
Or maybe the threads are later hand lapped to acquire the butter smooth operation, which is something mass production cant afford to do.

I was also pondering the same thing, theres only so many ways to cut tank threads, manual lathe or CNC.
Perhaps the HE tanks are manually cut on a lathe where tolerances can be better set, dunno if thats a thing even. :)
Or maybe the threads are later hand lapped to acquire the butter smooth operation, which is something mass production cant afford to do.
You can not nearly expect the same tolerances from a lathe than a CNC. That said there are 'tricks of the trade' when it comes to threading etc so I assume the same applies. I think the same is starting to apply to tanks and mods than in the collectors industry. Something high end that is collectable and sought after for later resell value or collectibility. I'm holding on to my Sebenza 25 as I know it's discontinued never to be made again so value will increase in time.

Back