What is the best wire to use?

I think doing a spaced coil will prevent less gunk up on the coil
I have tried spaced but seem to be getting the same outcome, I also get less flavour with the spaced coils... there are so many variable when it comes to vaping that it makes my head spin:SOOSICK:

I have tried spaced but seem to be getting the same outcome, I also get less flavour with the spaced coils... there are so many variable when it comes to vaping that it makes my head spin:SOOSICK:
Perhaps spaced clapton then? mine only gunk up after a week

Ni80 (nichrome) and kanthal are pretty much the same. The nichrome just has 80% nickel instead of alluminium, and sometimes depending on the standard to which is made other additives besides iron (which may account for people experiencing different results from different brands). People sometimes find that one or the other has an offending taste. My biggest issue with kanthal is that its a trademarked brand, and none of these vape wire brands use any trademark devices on their products, I wish someone had the gear and time to analyse the composition of geekvape, ud etc.

As to your original question, the best wire is the one that creates the shape youre looking for at the resistence youre looking for in the atty you are using. There are alot of variables but this is supposed to be enjoyable, try play around and reduce them to the basics, else as you said your head will spin and it will become less enjoyable.

Perhaps spaced clapton then? mine only gunk up after a week
I will definitely give that a go, what is the thinnest gauge of clapton you get ? as the Goblin doesn't have a lot of room to play with.

Ni80 (nichrome) and kanthal are pretty much the same. The nichrome just has 80% nickel instead of alluminium, and sometimes depending on the standard to which is made other additives besides iron (which may account for people experiencing different results from different brands). People sometimes find that one or the other has an offending taste. My biggest issue with kanthal is that its a trademarked brand, and none of these vape wire brands use any trademark devices on their products, I wish someone had the gear and time to analyse the composition of geekvape, ud etc.

As to your original question, the best wire is the one that creates the shape youre looking for at the resistence youre looking for in the atty you are using. There are alot of variables but this is supposed to be enjoyable, try play around and reduce them to the basics, else as you said your head will spin and it will become less enjoyable.
Thanks, I will be playing around a lot more to find my sweet spot as it seems that I have not found that as yet. I will definitely take everyone's advise and see how it plays out, otherwise I will just have to upgrade to newer tanks and play around further.

Thanks for the info @Lushen. I also think the Kanthal I am using from UD is not of the best quality, have a look at my coils which are a week old and I have rewicked them twice this week because of build up on the coils.
View attachment 67941 View attachment 67943

Sorry couldn't get the pics very clear, but the coils look badly rusted.

I will definitely give geekvape wire a try, is there any difference between normal Nichrome and Ni80 wire ?

The guys explained the difference between Nichrome and Kanthal.
For me, I see a difference between Nichrome and Nichrome 80.

Btw, I had the same problem with my UD Kanthal. Geekvape kanthal was brilliant.

The guys explained the difference between Nichrome and Kanthal.
For me, I see a difference between Nichrome and Nichrome 80.

Btw, I had the same problem with my UD Kanthal. Geekvape kanthal was brilliant.
I will definitely be changing my brand then. Do you prefer the Ni80 over the Nichrome ?

Ni80 is nichrome, more specifically nichrome 80. You also get Ni60 which is 60% nickel. Nichrome is the name of nickel iron chromium alloy. I would be wary of anything that claims to be nichrome and not state the percentage.

Last edited:
Ni80 is nichrome, more specifically nichrome 80. You also get Ni60 which is 60% nickel. Nichrome is the name of nickel irom chromium alloy. I would be wary of anything that claims to be nichrome and not state the percentage.
Thanks, now I understand a bit better

Tank wise I've always Preferred NiChrome. But lately I've been falling in love with Clapton Kanthal and I'm even running a clapton in my Avo22. Though if I'm cornered and can only wick one ... NiChrome 24g is my tippy toppy wire and I'll pick it every time.

You said you do fruit flavors. The natural sugars in fruit concentrates used for making the liquid will gunk coils same as any sweet vape will be (dessert, bakery, candy, etc). Gunking coils is common with tobacco's as well, especially NET's. How "clean" the ingredients are the liquid is made from is another factor... not all so called eliquids are created equal from the cleanest ingredients available, nor under clean lab conditions.

You said you do fruit flavors. The natural sugars in fruit concentrates used for making the liquid will gunk coils same as any sweet vape will be (dessert, bakery, candy, etc). Gunking coils is common with tobacco's as well, especially NET's. How "clean" the ingredients are the liquid is made from is another factor... not all so called eliquids are created equal from the cleanest ingredients available, nor under clean lab conditions.
I use fruity flavours 90% of the time, thanks for informing me about the sugar in the flavouring, I always assumed that clear liquids were not going to gunk my coils as fast as the darker coloured liquids.

I use fruity flavours 90% of the time, thanks for informing me about the sugar in the flavouring, I always assumed that clear liquids were not going to gunk my coils as fast as the darker coloured liquids.

Saying that joose color makes a difference is being speculative. What the actual ingredients used to make the joose is the main culprit, but also the build and to some degree your vaping style.

I enjoy SS 316 24 Ga. Generally 24 Ga is a nice thickness to work with. I tried Kanthal A1 28 Ga. It is so springy and difficult to work with. So I am going to try Kanthal 24. Can't wait to try Nichrome 80 -- 24 Ga on my next purchase. Seems a very popular choice. I am also using SS 316 26+30 Clapton. Ramp up time is a bit too long for me and it takes a good bit of pinching, strumming and tweaking when test burning before wicking. Also prone to hot spots.

Can't wait to try the "Demon Killer 8" in prebuilt Box Kit. 6 coils of 8 different coils, total:48 coils -- all Kanthal, from Sir Vape. Can anyone who may have tried this tell me what ID it is?

I get no weird taste from Kanthal.

I'm actually going through the same thing right now - I vape mostly dessert flavours. If you use any heavy wire starting from a Fused Clapton going up - within 48 hours, your coil gets gunked up. It actually starts tasting bad after about 36 hours. So I literally dont go heavier than a normal single core clapton for dessert flavours - this way I only rewick every 5 days. I find this on my own DIY liquids, and with some of the award winning local E juices (dessert) also. The sweeter the flavour, or the darker the juice - are generally what I find,l is more likely to gunk up a coil. So yeah - there is no best wire, it depends what juice you vape, what notes in your juice, you want your wire to enhance - and also what works best for your taste-buds. Its actually a loaded question - F%^& this sh!t. I need a beer, its Friday!

I enjoy SS 316 24 Ga. Generally 24 Ga is a nice thickness to work with. I tried Kanthal A1 28 Ga. It is so springy and difficult to work with. So I am going to try Kanthal 24. Can't wait to try Nichrome 80 -- 24 Ga on my next purchase. Seems a very popular choice. I am also using SS 316 26+30 Clapton. Ramp up time is a bit too long for me and it takes a good bit of pinching, strumming and tweaking when test burning before wicking. Also prone to hot spots.

Can't wait to try the "Demon Killer 8" in prebuilt Box Kit. 6 coils of 8 different coils, total:48 coils -- all Kanthal, from Sir Vape. Can anyone who may have tried this tell me what ID it is?

I get no weird taste from Kanthal.
I have only ever coiled with 26ga Kanthal, I have tried clapton once and that was in my subtank mini. I could try 24g Ni80 but I don't know if it will work on the goblin mini, and i might go too low in ohms with 24g.

I'm actually going through the same thing right now - I vape mostly dessert flavours. If you use any heavy wire starting from a Fused Clapton going up - within 48 hours, your coil gets gunked up. It actually starts tasting bad after about 36 hours. So I literally dont go heavier than a normal single core clapton for dessert flavours - this way I only rewick every 5 days. I find this on my own DIY liquids, and with some of the award winning local E juices (dessert) also. The sweeter the flavour, or the darker the juice - are generally what I find,l is more likely to gunk up a coil. So yeah - there is no best wire, it depends what juice you vape, what notes in your juice, you want your wire to enhance - and also what works best for your taste-buds. Its actually a loaded question - F%^& this sh!t. I need a beer, its Friday!

Thanks, I am happy that I am not alone :-D, Well I guess, like you, I will keep trying different things until I now what type of builds need to go in which tanks and with which juices.

I took my 28 Ga Kanthal that I said I don't like and made some double and triple twisted coils. Magic!

I also made a "hybrid" coil, 28 Ga Kanthal wrapped around a 24 Ga Stainless steel wire. Works great.

Now I am into making different types of coils with my drill and swivels. Such fun, and a new dimension to this awesome hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that certain juices does gunk my coils up certain dont. Coils last me ages i just dry burn then. I use kanthal clapton at 60 to 100 w on my daily vape.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Got my 24g Nichrome 80 wire today and damn... I'm impressed! First time using Nichrome, very good ramp up speed, almost instantly. Flavor is on point as well.
I will try that as well

Got my 24g Nichrome 80 wire today and damn... I'm impressed! First time using Nichrome, very good ramp up speed, almost instantly. Flavor is on point as well.

Great to hear @xRuan
The ramp up of NI80 is definitely faster!
Where did you get it from today? And what brand of wire did you get?

I have settled on Kanthal 20 and 22 exclusively as my wire if choice. So chunky and versatile. Going to try Nichrome 22 on my next purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that certain juices does gunk my coils up certain dont. Coils last me ages i just dry burn then. I use kanthal clapton at 60 to 100 w on my daily vape.

I hear what you're saying, I was strictly a 50/50% vaper until recently when I fell in love with an 80/20% concoction and I learned quickly the term coil killer.Like you I now rinse and dry burn with an occasional touch up with a toothbrush to get them almost good as new.

I have all types and my favourite is Nichrome 80, but it all depends, when I want higher ohm I love the different kanthals as well and I find the ss brings out a slightly different taste to the nichrome

Back