What is the best wire to use?

Idrees

New Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi Guys

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I can't seem to find any threads here mentioning which wire would be the best to use.

I have been making my own coils for the past year or so, I only ever used Kanthal A1 26ga.
I currently use two tanks, the Goblin Mini V1 as well as the STM with V2 RBA. I find that my flavour gets a burnt taste after about 4 days or so, whether I am using the Goblin or the STM... When cleaning and rewicking my cotton is still white but the coils have a lot of build up on them.
I use 26ga UD Kanthal, should I change the type of wire I use?
I vape at a max of 35W, I do not like a warm vape. I tend to vape clear juices and like fruity flavours.

I see a lot of hype with regards to SS, Ni80 and Nichrome, so, I would like to know what type of wire do you prefer and why?
How long does the wire last before you have to re-coil ?
What wire is going to be best for flavour?
Does the wire build up gunk easily?
Is it easy to coil with?

TA

I found SS316L and Nichrome 80 give better flavour than Kanthal. Always got a weird taste from Kanthal.

I use 26ga SS316L most of the time and it's really easy to coil with. Seems to be softer than Kanthal.

I haven't noticed a marked difference in coil life with either wire compared to Kanthal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think there will be as many answers as vapers. It's more a personal preference thing.
I use KA1 26G for power and SS316L 26G for TC. Both are perfectly fine for me. It just depends on what tank or mod I use. I prefer TC.
I recoil every weekend.

I found SS316L and Nichrome 80 give better flavour than Kanthal. Always got a weird taste from Kanthal.

I use 26ga SS316L most of the time and it's really easy to coil with. Seems to be softer than Kanthal.

I haven't noticed a marked difference in coil life with either wire compared to Kanthal.

Thanks @Glytch

I think there will be as many answers as vapers. It's more a personal preference thing.
I use KA1 26G for power and SS316L 26G for TC. Both are perfectly fine for me. It just depends on what tank or mod I use. I prefer TC.
I recoil every weekend.
Thanks @SAVaper Maybe I should try should try some stainless for TC and see how it goes. My main objective is to get the perfect flavour out of my tank. When the build and wick are fresh I get that satisfying flavour for a day and then it's just Meh if you know what I mean. I thought it might be my wire, coz I know it cannot be the wicks as the wicks come out clean.

My favourite from a pure taste point of view (because that's all I am after) is 24g and 26g Nichrome... they seem to give me the best flavour. That being said I still use good old 26g Kanthal in my REO's... not sure why? Actually I think I'm gonna do a Nichrome build for one of my REO's now. :p

Thanks @Glytch

Thanks @SAVaper Maybe I should try should try some stainless for TC and see how it goes. My main objective is to get the perfect flavour out of my tank. When the build and wick are fresh I get that satisfying flavour for a day and then it's just Meh if you know what I mean. I thought it might be my wire, coz I know it cannot be the wicks as the wicks come out clean.
@Idrees I know what you mean. After about three days my coil is still producing vapour but flavour diminishes. My buddy doesn't taste the difference and I coil for him in the same way I do for myself. I end up recoiling twice a week because I love the fresh coil flavour. My wicks also come out clean.

I guess some people have more sensitive pallettes than others.

My favourite from a pure taste point of view (because that's all I am after) is 24g and 26g Nichrome... they seem to give me the best flavour. That being said I still use good old 26g Kanthal in my REO's... not sure why? Actually I think I'm gonna do a Nichrome build for one of my REO's now. :p

Never used the Nichrome before. Maybe I will put some in my Smok TFV4 next time and see if I notice a difference.

I run nichrome of late if its a simple build, if im using something fancy its usualy pre built and kanthal.
I have used ss316 fused claptons.

For flavour fany builds like alien claptons is still the best.

Nichrome has the best flavour on simple builds and is the easiest to maintain as coils dont get clogged.

Ss316 also gives good flavour but you have to rewick every 2nd/3rd day as gets very clogged so haventy used it lately. More maintenance than pleasure.

My coils last me like 2 even 3 months i just dry burn them.
But i do rewick once a week.

I started with the usual 26 gauge A1 Kanthol and changed to SS316L when I got a TC mod. Now when I use kanthol I pick up a certain hint of, I dunno, "rustiness"? Things just don't taste as clean.

But after reading what a lot of people have posted here I'm keen to try nichrome now.

I change my wicks and coils more or less weekly as I change juices with almost every tank. So everything gets gunked up pretty quickly.

Hi Guys

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I can't seem to find any threads here mentioning which wire would be the best to use.

I have been making my own coils for the past year or so, I only ever used Kanthal A1 26ga.
I currently use two tanks, the Goblin Mini V1 as well as the STM with V2 RBA. I find that my flavour gets a burnt taste after about 4 days or so, whether I am using the Goblin or the STM... When cleaning and rewicking my cotton is still white but the coils have a lot of build up on them.
I vape at a max of 35W, I do not like a warm vape. I tend to vape clear juices and like fruity flavours.

I see a lot of hype with regards to SS, Ni80 and Nichrome, so, I would like to know what type of wire do you prefer and why?
Is it easy to coil with?

TA
For higher wattage I go for Nichrome every day, first it does not spit and pop only sizzles, very crisp flavor too. Overall my favorite.

I run nichrome of late if its a simple build, if im using something fancy its usualy pre built and kanthal.
I have used ss316 fused claptons.

For flavour fany builds like alien claptons is still the best.

Nichrome has the best flavour on simple builds and is the easiest to maintain as coils dont get clogged.

Ss316 also gives good flavour but you have to rewick every 2nd/3rd day as gets very clogged so haventy used it lately. More maintenance than pleasure.

My coils last me like 2 even 3 months i just dry burn them.
But i do rewick once a week.
22g Nichrome is the world's most versatile and fool proof wire IMO. I swear by the stuff. That or 28g twists, 3 strands.

I like SS for TC and it lasts longer than Kanthal, Kanthal rusts and pits pretty badly in comparison but I still use it.

Favourite wire gauge 28
Runner up 26

Favourite mechanical build, parallel 28 1xkanthal 1x SS strand.

I'm not clued up on Nichrome, but for the Goblin Mini I would suggest SS 316L 26g as a Kanthal alternative. Claptons would be a pain in the Goblin, but they are great. If you haven't tried TC, give it a shot! SS is easy to work with and can be used in VW or TC.

I also find the loss of flavour but I don't mind rewicking. Your issue may be totally different, but as far as the white wicks go, I had a similar issue a while back, if the tails of the wick are not white then trimming a bit of excess from the body of the cotton could help.

Hi Guys

Is it easy to coil with?

TA
I use 24g kanthal as my go to wire.Recoil about once a week w/heavy use.

Hi Guys

Is it easy to coil with?

TA

Hi @Idrees , sometimes changing the brand of wire makes a difference. For Kanthal, I generally use the brand Vapowire and have found it to be very good for me. I dont know the Goblin but i have the SubTank Mini in daily use with fruity menthols.

In the subTank Mini I use higher mg juice and lower power. My preferred coil is a simple 28g Kanthal contact coil. I have found for the fruity menthols the Rayon wick brings out the menthol nicely. I like 28g because it gives me a "crisper" vape and faster ramp times. I change the Rayon wick about every 5 tankfuls (approx 20ml) and the coil about once a month. A bit of a dry burn and quick rinse under a small stream from the tap makes the coil look good when changing wicks. Been running like this for several months and its working well.

I have used NI80 in several other devices. Great wire. I cant remember the brand but i got 26g and 28g from Vape King. It has a faster ramp time than the equivalent gauge Kanthal.

Sorry guys, only managed to get online now, I hate using Tapatalk. Thanks to everyone for the great feedback, that's why I love this forum.

@Rob Fisher Thanks for this, how offen are you rebuilding ? and does the wire get a lot of build up on it ?

@Idrees I know what you mean. After about three days my coil is still producing vapour but flavour diminishes. My buddy doesn't taste the difference and I coil for him in the same way I do for myself. I end up recoiling twice a week because I love the fresh coil flavour. My wicks also come out clean.

I guess some people have more sensitive pallettes than others.

@Glytch Thanks, this is exactly my problem, a fresh build tatstes extremely good, whereas once you dry burn and rewick the flavour seems to only be good for a day or so and with the kanthal I use, after the first dry burn, the wire looks all rusted. My problem is I dont want to be rebuilding so often as I only go through a max of 8mls of juice a day and that too only using a max of 35w on a dual coil reading .39ohms.

I'm not clued up on Nichrome, but for the Goblin Mini I would suggest SS 316L 26g as a Kanthal alternative. Claptons would be a pain in the Goblin, but they are great. If you haven't tried TC, give it a shot! SS is easy to work with and can be used in VW or TC.

I also find the loss of flavour but I don't mind rewicking. Your issue may be totally different, but as far as the white wicks go, I had a similar issue a while back, if the tails of the wick are not white then trimming a bit of excess from the body of the cotton could help.
I dont mind the wicking at all @M5000 , maybe just once a week as my juice consumption is not that much.
I keep my wick tails extremely short on the goblin with just the right amount of wick to cover the juice channels, that way I don't get any dry hits, I only started using this method a few weeks ago. I used to use the grimgreen method but I thought that may be the reason for the flavour getting muted faster as there was much more cotton.

@Idrees I rewick the Serpents about twice a week because of heavy usage... a coil rebuild will be a month or two. And no I don't get much if any build up on my coils.
Thanks for that @Rob Fisher, I think I am going to move to Nichrome and see how it goes, will by some SS to try temp control as well.

@Idrees Something I learnt yesterday, there is a difference between the UD Nichrome and Geekvape NI80 Nichrome.
I decided to get some new wire yesterday and do some build, and the GeekVape is better for me than the UD (Just My Opinion).

With the UD, the coils only lasted a week and the resistance seemed much higher than the GeekVape. Also, I struggled to get the UD Nichrome clean when ever I dry burned it.

@Idrees Something I learnt yesterday, there is a difference between the UD Nichrome and Geekvape NI80 Nichrome.
I decided to get some new wire yesterday and do some build, and the GeekVape is better for me than the UD (Just My Opinion).

With the UD, the coils only lasted a week and the resistance seemed much higher than the GeekVape. Also, I struggled to get the UD Nichrome clean when ever I dry burned it.
Thanks for the info @Lushen. I also think the Kanthal I am using from UD is not of the best quality, have a look at my coils which are a week old and I have rewicked them twice this week because of build up on the coils.
IMG_5735.JPG IMG_5736.JPG

Sorry couldn't get the pics very clear, but the coils look badly rusted.

I will definitely give geekvape wire a try, is there any difference between normal Nichrome and Ni80 wire ?

I recoil every weekend.

Agree, which wire(s) to use is something you have to find yourself by trying them. It's not just about the wire used, it's the build, the wick. the atty they are in and the joose your using as well. There is no "best" when discussing anything about something as subjective as vaping is.

Agree, which wire(s) to use is something you have to find yourself by trying them. It's not just about the wire used, it's the build, the wick. the atty they are in and the joose your using as well. There is no "best" when discussing anything about something as subjective as vaping is.
Thanks @Spydro, well I guess I still have a loooooooong way to go in this vaping journey and a lot to learn on the way. I will buy some different types of wire and start playing around to see what suites me best.

Thanks @Spydro, well I guess I still have a loooooooong way to go in this vaping journey and a lot to learn on the way. I will buy some different types of wire and start playing around to see what suites me best.

For your perfect vape you will have to find your own niche yourself. And yes it is a never ending learning experience... I'm still learning after 3.5 years. But there is nothing wrong with the suggestions of others who have a longer tenure in vaping so far more experience from doing, failing and winning along the way. Consider the suggestions to guide you, but don't take them as the only answer.

Back