Zirconium Wire Anyone?

5. Titanium Wire (TI Wire)

Last but not least is titanium wires. Titanium wire works great with TC mode, but you can’t find titanium easily in modern vape shops, probably because it is a controversial wire type with plenty of concerns about its safety.

Despite titanium wires producing a clean and crisp flavor, people avoid using this material because of safety concerns. Heating titanium leads to the emission of toxic gases, specifically titanium dioxide and titanium oxide.

Furthermore, if titanium vape wire runs at its maximum heat capacity and catches on fire, it is extremely difficult to extinguish. However, as long as you don’t use it in wattage mode and your TC mode is working fine, it should not be a problem.

Just found it, it's not 620degrees C it catches fire that's the temp it starts to give off toxic gases making it a definite no no for dry burning but perfectly safe under temperature control. With thin wired mtl builds when I have overdone the pulsing to help get off the caked deposits I have set Ni80 and SS coils on fire before so I certainly am not taking risks with Titanium or even Zirconium but stick with the advice I have been given, the worst is when I put the tab on the wrong setting (user error) and I think I am pulsing at 8w, the middle of the coil instantly melts to find I had pulsed it using 8v lol.

I was slightly out with the temp it's 648degrees C:

The last wire we will look at is titanium, which is another TC-only wire.

There is some controversy surrounding the safety of titanium wire when used for vaping. Heating it can release a toxic component (titanium dioxide) above 1200 ℉ (648 ℃). Also, like magnesium, if titanium ignites it is extremely difficult to extinguish. Some shops will not even sell the wire due to liability and safety issues.

Note that folks still commonly use it and that, theoretically, if your TC mod is doing its job, you should never have to worry about combustion or titanium dioxide poisoning. It should go without saying, but do not dry burn Ti wire!

Titanium is easy to work into coils and easy to wick. But it might be hard to source due to the abovementioned reasons.

To add, if this was pulsed using wattage Titanium's ramp up is very quick, not as quick as SS but the problem is it takes longer to cool down so with each pulse the starting temp is higher so when dry burning it can easily reach ignition point.

Last edited:
I don't give a sh6t what it's melting point is if its on fire!:flamethrower2:
LOL ... It's boiling point is cited as 2500-3000°C, and it's fair to assume that it's vapours at the upper extreme, (3000 degrees C), would be flammable, (aka it's flash point), a number I seriously doubt achievable in a mod

Just found it, it's not 620degrees C it catches fire that's the temp it starts to give off toxic gases making it a definite no no for dry burning but perfectly safe under temperature control. With thin wired mtl builds when I have overdone the pulsing to help get off the caked deposits I have set Ni80 and SS coils on fire before so I certainly am not taking risks with Titanium or even Zirconium but stick with the advice I have been given, the worst is when I put the tab on the wrong setting (user error) and I think I am pulsing at 8w, the middle of the coil instantly melts to find I had pulsed it using 8v lol.

I was slightly out with the temp it's 648degrees C:

The last wire we will look at is titanium, which is another TC-only wire.

There is some controversy surrounding the safety of titanium wire when used for vaping. Heating it can release a toxic component (titanium dioxide) above 1200 ℉ (648 ℃). Also, like magnesium, if titanium ignites it is extremely difficult to extinguish. Some shops will not even sell the wire due to liability and safety issues.

Note that folks still commonly use it and that, theoretically, if your TC mod is doing its job, you should never have to worry about combustion or titanium dioxide poisoning. It should go without saying, but do not dry burn Ti wire!

Titanium is easy to work into coils and easy to wick. But it might be hard to source due to the abovementioned reasons.

To add, if this was pulsed using wattage Titanium's ramp up is very quick, not as quick as SS but the problem is it takes longer to cool down so with each pulse the starting temp is higher so when dry burning it can easily reach ignition point.

You're in the same league as Ni80 using Titanium :think:
Titanium Dioxide_00001.jpgTitanium Dioxide_00002.jpgTitanium Dioxide_00003.jpgTitanium Dioxide_00004.jpgTitanium Dioxide_00005.jpgTitanium Dioxide_00006.jpg

As I said what I read although I haven't researched the specifics of Zirconium just gone with what I have been told to treat it like Titanium is that Titanium shouldn't be dry burned unless using temp control to control it's temp else it will give off harmful toxins and can set alight. What I research is not titanium but specifically for it's use as a vaping wire!

You're in the same league as Ni80 using Titanium :think:
It's ramp up and it's slowness in cooling meaning it will hit higher temperatures much easier when dry burning makes it much more of an hazard than Ni80 but if used for vaping correctly using temp control and take the advice of the many and follow the instructions constantly given on how to use Titanium Wire for vaping which the main warning is "Do not dry burn" then it's much safer than Ni80, that's the beauty of temp control.

Really?? Mine is springy AF, a nightmare to coil. Does yours just stay in shape nicely?

View attachment 277681
Bummer :( ... It seems like you have what is referred to as "cold drawn wire" that hasn't been annealed :( Annealing Titanium requires heating it to 690 to 760 degrees C, and then allowing it to return to room temperature unassisted, which would make it "manageable" / malleable / ductile

Really?? Mine is springy AF, a nightmare to coil. Does yours just stay in shape nicely?

View attachment 277681
Heard some can be springy but if you get either the Wireoptim (or any brand supplied by Temco) or the Zivipf it isn't and going by all the Titanium threads I have read it does seam to vary by quite a degree from not springy at all to some having very springy Titanium wire. Why there is such a difference depending where you get it from I am just guessing is down to the annealing process but I might be wrong. I got some 32ga, 28ga, 26ga, 24ga and 22ga which were just for me to try (enough to make 2 coils from each) of which I have used the 24ga and 28ga and neither were springy, I find 28ga not ideal anyway with any wire because it's so thin so prefer 26ga but with the lower resistant really need to use the 28ga for my MTL. The Titanium from Zivipf I haven't used yet but it doesn't feel springy and going from what I have read it shouldn't be but will be sure to let you know once I have tried it.

Bummer :( ... It seems like you have what is referred to as "cold drawn wire" that hasn't been annealed :( Annealing Titanium requires heating it to 690 to 760 degrees C, and then allowing it to return to room temperature unassisted, which would make it "manageable" / malleable / ductile
That would make perfect sense although wire sold for vaping in theory should be annealed according to Temco when I emailed them with a few questions not on Titanium specific but just in general about vaping wires but Titanium does seem to be the most varied for some reason I assume different companies use different annealing processes, but again just guessing or you are right and @TonySC as had the misfortune of picking a company who still use cold drawn wire, I have never heard of Vapor Tech before so know nothing about them.

Does yours just stay in shape nicely
Absolutely, no issues whatsoever! Even the Zirconium which is much springier was fine for making, installing and wicking but the jury is still out on when it needs a re-wick!

After 9 days of vaping it’s still purring with zero drop off in flavour so I ran the tank down until the cotton was bone dry (device giving no power) to check the state of my build and I must say so impressed with my builds longevity!

IMG_4500.JPG

Thank goodness for that clarification ;) .... O and SA = Stainless Alloy
SA-430 features the following chemical composition:
Iron = Balance out %'s of total
Carbon < 0.12%
Chromium = 16-18%

Nickel < 0.75%
Manganese < 1.0%
Silicon < 1.0%
Phosphorus < 0.040%
Sulfur < 0.30%
Although SS430 does contain a very small amount of Nickel compared to other SS I just realised where I got Nickel free from. Not the Zivipf SS430 but the sample @Wayneo sent me is indeed Nickel free as it was actually bought off a jewellery making site and the wire was specially processed to be completely Nickel free due to many having allergic reactions when nickel touches the skin.

Last edited:
After 15 days still stable in TC, no drop off in flavour that I can tell and wick and coil still in excellent condition.

I have decided although it almost definitely will not need one I am going to attempt a re-wick at the 3 week stage just to see how it goes!

Last edited:
I would try to anneal it myself but I have no clue what 'dull red' looks like.
My SS430 is also springy af.

@Timwis
That would make perfect sense although wire sold for vaping in theory should be annealed according to Temco when I emailed them with a few questions not on Titanium specific but just in general about vaping wires but Titanium does seem to be the most varied for some reason I assume different companies use different annealing processes, but again just guessing or you are right and @TonySC as had the misfortune of picking a company who still use cold drawn wire, I have never heard of Vapor Tech before so know nothing about them.

I didn't do any picking at all. That roll was the only Titanium wire I've ever come across in the country, and 28G was the only gauge there was. It is indeed too flimsy to work as straight wire coils. I bought it thinking I'd make twisted wire with it but the springyness made the resulting wire impossible to coil after twisting.

How is the TC performance of Zirconium vs Titanium vs SS430 in your experience?

I only ever vape in TC so would kill to have some Zirconium or even NiFethal wire to play with. (Of course, none available locally)

Last edited:
@Timwis

I didn't do any picking at all. That roll was the only Titanium wire I've ever come across in the country, and 28G was the only gauge there was. It is indeed too flimsy to work as straight wire coils. I bought it thinking I'd make twisted wire with it but the springyness made the resulting wire impossible to coil after twisting.

How is the TC performance of Zirconium vs Titanium vs SS430 in your experience?
Zirconium and Titanium are pretty much identical. can't tell them apart to be honest in performance, the SS430 I haven't tried yet mate! Is your SS430 the same brand as your Titanium?

Zirconium and Titanium are pretty much identical. can't tell them apart to be honest in performance, the SS430 I haven't tried yet mate! Is your SS430 the same brand as your Titanium?
No, my SS430 is from geekvape.

Oooph......there is no way I can catch that dull red colour by using a lighter or torch. The wire heats up way too fast.
I guess I could wire up an atty with like half a meter of my titanium wire and use a mod on low wattage to heat the wire slowly. hmmm....

Oooph......there is no way I can catch that dull red colour by using a lighter or torch. The wire heats up way too fast.
As the wire is as thin as what it is, you could try using a candle, and hold the wire about an inch and a half above the flame ;-)

Back