What To Expect On You Vaping Journey

I don't have any experience with the twisp so not sure about the coils. Do you by any chance have another clearo you could try?

Peppery sounds to me like the wick inside the coil might of burnt. Happens to me all the time with my protank. I just remove it, soak in vodka and dry burn it. Obviously this isn't an easy option if you only have 1 clearo. Luckily with the kanger tanks, a spare coil is only R30 so I have plenty.

I know it is a different story with Twisp though

Another thing is try and rinse your clearo before topping up (just use warm water).

What I noticed is that the juice gets darker and darker if you don't rinse...Seems as though the flavour doesn't burn as easily as the other Stuff (Vg, PG and nic) and the concentrated flavour is what would cause the wick to clog.

Another thing is try and rinse your clearo before topping up (just use warm water).

What I noticed is that the juice gets darker and darker if you don't rinse...Seems as though the flavour doesn't burn as easily as the other Stuff (Vg, PG and nic) and the concentrated flavour is what would cause the wick to clog.

I have noticed the same thing, sometimes when I vape a certain juice as my ADV over a few days I tend not to rinse the tank out and I that certainly has a negative effect. At first I thought it was my tastebuds getting used to the flavour, so tried vaping 3 different flavours throughout the day, sniffing on coffee beans (to clean the pallet) and chugging down water to wash out the tastebuds and nothing improved on that particular flavour. Cleaned out the tank, topped it up and boom back to the sweet spot.

Am using a Twisp Clearo with Twisp Rebel juice and there is no flavour and I get a peppery taste in my mouth. How would I know if my coil is clogged?

Hi @Mornat, firstly, well done for stopping stinkies for 5 days if i understand correctly! That is a great achievement.

I started on Twisp too and still have them. They got me off smoking, so i have a soft spot for my Twisp devices ;-)

My suggestions to you are as follows:
- try get a replacement Twisp coil and put it in
- as @Matthee suggested, stick to the full strength juices for now. Until you are safely off smoking i would not suggest lowering the nicotine content or trying to dilute their liquids with their nicotine free homeopathic range.
- rebel is a great flavour, one of my favourite Twisp flavours. I also like their Polar Mint.

Twisp got me off stinkies in about a week and i used my Twisp devices for at least a month and a half thereafter.

Wishing you all the best

I don't have any experience with the twisp so not sure about the coils. Do you by any chance have another clearo you could try?

Peppery sounds to me like the wick inside the coil might of burnt. Happens to me all the time with my protank. I just remove it, soak in vodka and dry burn it. Obviously this isn't an easy option if you only have 1 clearo. Luckily with the kanger tanks, a spare coil is only R30 so I have plenty.

I know it is a different story with Twisp though
Ok... will give that a go. I have spare coils but will try cleaning it out first. By dry burn do you mean press the button without any liquid in the tank? If so, how long do I do that for?

Hi @Mornat, firstly, well done for stopping stinkies for 5 days if i understand correctly! That is a great achievement.

I started on Twisp too and still have them. They got me off smoking, so i have a soft spot for my Twisp devices ;-)

My suggestions to you are as follows:
- try get a replacement Twisp coil and put it in
- as @Matthee suggested, stick to the full strength juices for now. Until you are safely off smoking i would not suggest lowering the nicotine content or trying to dilute their liquids with their nicotine free homeopathic range.
- rebel is a great flavour, one of my favourite Twisp flavours. I also like their Polar Mint.

Twisp got me off stinkies in about a week and i used my Twisp devices for at least a month and a half thereafter.

Wishing you all the best
Thanks for your word of encouragement @Silver1

Ok... will give that a go. I have spare coils but will try cleaning it out first. By dry burn do you mean press the button without any liquid in the tank? If so, how long do I do that for?
That's it, just for about a second or 2. It should hopefully off all the gunk on the coil. Not too long or you might burn the wick

Give it bash and let us know how it goes. The vodka also helps alot to loosen the gunk

If the coil is older than 2 weeks it can easily lose flavour and intensity
Depends how much you vape on it and if its your sole device
If it's your sole device and you do 2 or more tankfuls a day, then it can even start getting noticeably worse after a week or even sooner.

Hi All, I'm from the south of Johannesburg and have started my " Off the $TINKIE" journey. I currently use and despise the Twisp.
I have been on it for about a month now, I find it super irritating to have to clean it more then I use it. Flavor Rebel/toasted tobacco. I'm eagerly awaiting my first MOD " Itaste VTR . Would really like to get involved in the Vape community. Everyone on this forum is very kind and, always helpful.
I'm a tech nerd and vaping is my new life.
HELLO EVERYONE:hi:

Quite a few threads from vape related software programming for Android to coil building if you go through the forum - enjoy and hope you will tune in from time to time.

Hi All, I'm from the south of Johannesburg and have started my " Off the $TINKIE" journey. I currently use and despise the Twisp.
I have been on it for about a month now, I find it super irritating to have to clean it more then I use it. Flavor Rebel/toasted tobacco. I'm eagerly awaiting my first MOD " Itaste VTR . Would really like to get involved in the Vape community. Everyone on this forum is very kind and, always helpful.
I'm a tech nerd and vaping is my new life.
HELLO EVERYONE:hi:
Most welcome. Hope you got a good tank and some juices with the VTR? Feel free to browse around and shoot if you have questions. Happy vaping.

Hi Matthee, It's coming with the I Clear 30 tank. I saw a review from rip tippers on youtube and it got a good rating and seems to not leak. I'm going all out with the juices.
I'm beside myself with all the options available other than Twisp flavors.

Hi Matthee, It's coming with the I Clear 30 tank. I saw a review from rip tippers on youtube and it got a good rating and seems to not leak. I'm going all out with the juices.
I'm beside myself with all the options available other than Twisp flavors.
The iClears are not highly rated in this forum, but give us your impressions once used for some time. @Rob Fisher will certainly tell you to get an Aspire Nautilus, but unfortunately it does not fit into the VTR. Personally I am a fan of the Kangertech Aerotank, which should fit. Yes, the juices. Many recommend Vapour Mountain juices - check them out at www.vapourmountain.co.za and reviews here and here. Happy vaping.

Will make sure to give my views on the tank. I will also give the aerotank and try out some drip tips
Thank you for all of the information really appreciate it

Welcome @Darth_V@POR
Congrats on your conversion to Vaping.

I also started on Twisp. It got me off the stinkies ;-) You can read my review of the Twisp here.

I love your tag line below your avatar : "in search of the perfect MOD setup". Sums it up for most of us!

Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride ;-)

Welcome @Darth_V@POR, cool username. Personally I wouldn't get any of the iClears, you can get a much better vape from a bunch of other things the guys on here will recommend. I will of course mention the Kayfun rebuildable atty as the one to get for your VTR. I have 2 KFL's and they really do it for me.

There are a ton of youtube vids on how to build the coils to your own preference, but most of all.. it's just so rewarding to vape on something that you created.

Last edited:
Thank you for this amazing post @Matthee. two thumbs up here :rock:

Welcome @Darth_V@POR, cool username. Personally I wouldn't get any of the iClears, you can get a much better vape from a bunch of other things the guys on here will recommend. I will of course mention the Kayfun rebuildable atty as the one to get for your VTR. I have 2 KFL's and they really do it for me.

There are a ton of youtube vids on how to build the coils to your own preference, but most of all.. it's just so rewarding to vape on something that you created.

Thats fantastic feedback thank you @Alex. I have been looking at the RBA's and saw the "3D Atomizer Clone by HCigar" which seems to be a good in-between-er? Please tell me what KFL stands for and if they are only drippers..??? Sorry my head is spinning :drunk:

Thats fantastic feedback thank you @Alex. I have been looking at the RBA's and saw the "3D Atomizer Clone by HCigar" which seems to be a good in-between-er? Please tell me what KFL stands for and if they are only drippers..??? Sorry my head is spinning :drunk:
If I am not mistaken KFL stands for KayFun Lite. The KFL is an RTA (Rebuildable Tank Atomiser).

An RTA is a tank style atomiser (holds a certain amount of juice) and is designed to have custom coils built in it, one cannot but factory made coils like your commercial tanks such as the protank range etc.

Part 1
New e-cigarette users who are attempting to convert to an e-cig from smoking have dozens of questions. One of the most common is, "What nicotine strength do I need?". A variant on this is, "I smoked one and a half packs a day of lights, what nicotine liquid strength should I use?"

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like this. It is not advisable to try to compare cigarette nicotine levels with e-cigarette liquid nicotine levels because there are too many variables, both in the relative absorption levels for smoke and vapor, and those introduced by the user. Even if a situation could be arranged where exactly the same amount of nicotine is available in both the cigarette smoke and the e-cig vapor (which would not work anyway, as it needs to be higher in the vapor since it is absorbed less well), the end result will be different, for each user.

For example, a person who smoked less than half a pack a day may need 36mg liquid to avoid cravings (and show absolutely no signs of nicotine OD while using it); a person who was on 2 PAD may be happy with 18mg. There is no comparison possible because the end result required is satisfaction / lack of cravings in an individual - and individuals vary so much in their tolerance to / requirement for a given substance that there is no 'scale' that can be devised.

There are some useful things to keep in mind here, though:

• Using an e-cig is different to smoking a tobacco cig. Newbies have such bad technique they may only get a fraction of the nicotine that an experienced vaper would get from basically the same set-up.
  • It is difficult to make your e-liquid stronger, but very easy to make it weaker.

Because of this it is a good idea to get some high-strength liquid with your first order. If, while using the strength commonly supplied with Starter Kits, after several days you still experience strong cravings, you can try the higher mg liquid. On the other hand, if your main liquid is too strong, you can add VG (available at any pharmacy) to it, to reduce the strength to whatever is required. Another way to do this is to use 'zero-nic doubler liquid' from your vendor - this is flavored base liquid with no nicotine that is specifically made for reducing the strength with.

If you have some 24mg strength liquid, and add an equal amount of VG or doubler liquid to it, you then have 12mg strength liquid, double the original quantity. Adding VG will reduce the strength of the flavor, however. Adding 'doubler liquid' decreases the nicotine strength but maintains the flavor level.

Transition policy
During your first week with an e-cigarette you will most likely experience some cravings for a cigarette. One reason for this is because tobacco contains more than nicotine, there are several substances we call WTAs or whole tobacco alkaloids, in lower quantity than nicotine, that some people (but not all) will miss. These include nornicotine, anabasine, anatabine and myosmine. Nicotine is not the only active alkaloid in tobacco, although it is present in much higher quantities than the others.

Many people actually get over this stage fairly quickly, though some don't. The best advice is very simple indeed: don't worry. If you still need to smoke, then do so. Ideally you will cut down - and cut down drastically. If you can't, then here are some ways to improve your e-cigarette's effect.

• Use higher-strength e-liquid. Uness you have tried 36mg strength then you have not explored the most likely cause of continued cravings. Some have a very high tolerance to nicotine and this is notrelated to how much they smoked.
  • Vape more. Do not restrict yourself to use of the e-cigarette only when you would have smoked, it's OK to use it more often, and for longer. Some vape twice as much as they smoked, in the initial stages especially.
  • If progress seems slow, then you may need more power. Basic e-cigarette models deliver about 4 watts of power or less, and you may need 6, 8 or even as much as 10 watts or more in order to 'get over the hump'. The quickest/cheapest way to increase power is to change to LR (low resistance) atomizers or cartomizers - these will get you up to 6 or 7 watts, although they cannot be used on a mini ecig (they should be used on a mid-size model or APV, an advanced personal vaporizer aka a 'mod').
  • You can get a mid-size ecig in order to use one of these LR heads (end fittings), or get a cheap APVsuch as a 5 volt boxmod for use with your regular fittings (not the LR ones). Finally, the most costly - but possibly the best long-term solution - is to get a VV (variable voltage) APV that can be set to exactly the right voltage you need at the time. All these models are larger than a mini, but work better.
  • If your smoking is gradually reducing, you are winning. If you still have strong cravings after 3 weeks, and have tried 36mg liquid from at least two different vendors (there is always a possibility that one supplier's products may not be the full strength as marked), and have also tried higher power with no improvements - and if you want to get through this bit as quickly as possible - then your best course of action is to add Snus to your regime.

Swedish Snus is a specially processed oral tobacco that comes in micro pouches. Most of the carcinogens have been removed by the special processing, and the remaining amounts are low enough to have no significant risk. A Snus user has the same risk of mouth cancer as a non-smoker, so there is not too much need to worry about this. You can use Snus whenever you feel the craving for a cigarette - it has the full range of WTAs that an e-cigarette cannot provide*. It is spitless and not related to the old chewing tobacco - the micro pouch is placed between the upper lip and the gum, and use is invisible.

For those who need these extra WTAs, an e-cigarette plus Snus approach has been found highly effective.

* Recently, a small number of vendors have introduced e-liquids containing WTAs. These are not easy to find at present, but in theory will do the same job as Snus.

Timescale
There is no timescale for switching exclusively to an e-cigarette. Some manage it on Day 1, some take a year to finally quit the coffin nails. Does it matter? Probably not.

To accelerate the process, you'll need to follow the tips above carefully - but it should not be a cause for worry, as there is no need. As long as your smoking is gradually reducing, things are moving along in the right direction.

What a wonderful, well explained post.
Thank you!

Back