When to replace pre-built coils

franshorn

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
So I'm still new to whole rebuilding thing.

How do I know when to replace the coil?
What I do now is just dry burn the coil clean before rewicking and I do a strip down of the tank when I see it starts looking dirty and use a tooth brush to clean everything.

Read somewhere one should change the coil when the resistance starts to change. Is this the sign?
Or is it once the coil starts showing hot spots that don't go away with some repositioning/ strumming?

what coils are you using ? Sometimes they can last as long as 6 months or even longer with good care and maintenance.

What he said. I've had the standard coil that came with my Pirate King RDA. It's been a month now, with daily burning, cleaning with an old toothbrush and dish liquid.

Because of daily cleaning, I may have replace it very soon. Losing flavour here but still cloudy with a chance of meatballs. Lol.

DSC_0428.JPG DSC_0427.JPG

Coil company aliens...
When you are no longer getting a good vape out of them, that's when you change them (I know, super specific hey)

You don't want hot spots, so like you said, if you can't get rid of them, ditch them. But do make sure they are persistent, that seemingly immovable hot spot might just need a jig jiggling to sort out, so make sure you gently try as many things as possible.

Coil Company coils should last you a long time though, but sadly, nothing lasts forever.

So I'm still new to whole rebuilding thing.

How do I know when to replace the coil?
What I do now is just dry burn the coil clean before rewicking and I do a strip down of the tank when I see it starts looking dirty and use a tooth brush to clean everything.

Read somewhere one should change the coil when the resistance starts to change. Is this the sign?
Or is it once the coil starts showing hot spots that don't go away with some repositioning/ strumming?
Rememeber that some wire(eg.Steel) will change in resistance as the wire heats up... so I would not go with that as a rule of thumb...Other variables also come into play such as the post screws not been tight as I find that screws loosen over time and that will also cause resistance to fluxuate.

The Hotspots are not a clear indicator as come new coils with a lot of wire will take a long time to work out hotspots.

For me, I rewick on a 3 day basis because I tend to change up types of coils and juices.
But as a rule of thumb, I would say Rewick on a weekly basis.
As for re-coiling. Certain coils outlast others depending on the material used and quality of wrapping.
So when you start to get a burnt taste of hotter vape than what you are used to at your parameters or when you start to get a slight metallic taste, then re-coil (keeping in mind that you are not Dry-hitting:flamethrower2:).

Hope this answers your question.

Oh BTW my ohms have stayed the same, more or less at 0.22 which is perfect for me using an RDA.

The only advice which I got from smilelykumeenit is when they don't look clean after a good toothbrush scrubbing or when you are losing flavour.

What he said. I've had the standard coil that came with my Pirate King RDA. It's been a month now, with daily burning, cleaning with an old toothbrush and dish liquid.

Because of daily cleaning, I may have replace it very soon. Losing flavour here but still cloudy with a chance of meatballs. Lol.

View attachment 140780 View attachment 140781
Hi @RainstormZA sorry I am off the topic here. I am just curious what is the white thingy under your RDA in the pic:wondering:

Rememeber that some wire(eg.Steel) will change in resistance as the wire heats up... so I would not go with that as a rule of thumb...Other variables also come into play such as the post screws not been tight as I find that screws loosen over time and that will also cause resistance to fluxuate.

The Hotspots are not a clear indicator as come new coils with a lot of wire will take a long time to work out hotspots.

For me, I rewick on a 3 day basis because I tend to change up types of coils and juices.
As for re-coiling. Certain coils outlast others depending on the material used and quality of wrapping.
So when you start to get a burnt taste of hotter vape than what you are used to at your parameters or when you start to get a slight metallic taste, then re-coil (keeping in mind that you are not Dry-hitting:flamethrower2:).

Re wick on a weekly basis ? Please

I find that I need to replace my coils after about 2-3 months. All of a sudden I can taste that there is some muting of the flavour.

depends on the coils if you use chinese coils they don't last as long as ones from countries with better regulations but they are dirt cheap and easy to find

Personally i change my coils once a month i go buy a fresh pair because DIY is too much effort for me to make fused claptons or aliens.

Although it may not be necessary to do so i prefer to as i used to change my smok coils at the same time

Re wick on a weekly basis ? Please
Clearly you do not vape the same way i DO...if you go through about 300mls of juice a week then you are on my level.
I go through about 20 plus juices a week because I review them.....
I do not know what you mean in you comment @Hallucinated_ because in my case(as I did state in that msg) I have to or the wick is too slimey.
If you would take the time to educate me on the right way because clearly i have been doing something wrong for about 6 years...

Remember that I go through roughly 300ml of juice a week!

:-D @RainstormZA I think you are veryyyyy safe the size of that coffee filter should take about 50 ml of juice before there is any damage:wasntme:

Back