Wick it!

All this talk about Rayon made me go scratch in the back of my vape cupboard. And will you look now. I still have a little bit of Rayon that was tucked away for some unknown future use. Must be 5 years old by now.

IMG_20200224_222752.jpg

We might need to do a wicking tutorial on rayon,I heard it's quite finicky. But works great when you got it down and done right.

Been vaping for a while so i used pretty much every wicking material available. @Silver 's explanations on the various wicks are spot on. I've done the mesh wicks too, but i could never get it to work to my liking.

Back in the day, my go to was silica strands or Japanese Cotton (wicked in the Scottish roll method) I moved away from the silica because it couldn't wick fast enough for me. It was fine in the high ohm mtl tanks, but I struggled to get it working to my liking in low ohm builds. Japanese Cotton was so good for me that I had a big bag imported. I tried the Rayon thing too, but preferred the jap cotton. Lately I've been using either TFC or CBv2, and I've been playing around with those VIK sticks too.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the thread. Interesting read.

I have tried tons of cotton over the years and was even part of the great VIK Cotton group buy. I am one of the minority, I think, who believes that there is really not that much of a noticeable difference between the various wicking materials.

Attys have now improved to such an extent that dry hits are a thing of the past (providing that you wick correctly and don't run out of juice). I can't remember when last we had a mass complaint about an atty which was is almost impossible to wick. In the old days, this was common and dry hits were frequent. Even badly wicked attys now seem to wick well enough, although some may still leak.

For me, the only possible issue with wicks is how and if they influence flavour.

To be honest I am at a point where I am happy with most cotton wicks. At the moment I am using CB and am using up the VIK Cotton.

I hope that you guys find something which really works noticeably better.

Having said all this I am convinced that I am somewhat flavour challenged. I know what I like but I am not able to identify an addition of 0.25% dingle berry concentrate added to a juice. I may notice that the juice tastes like crap but I am not able to single out individual concentrates in a juice containing more than a few flavours.

We might need to do a wicking tutorial on rayon,I heard it's quite finicky. But works great when you got it down and done right.

Hi @Resistance

Only saw these posts now, yes I got my Rayon a while back from Mr Fisher. He ordered a box of it on Amazon and I got some from him.

There are a few things about Rayon that I have learnt since using it.

First, you need to wick it very tight in the coil. It doesn't expand like cotton when wet. It actually shrinks a bit. So it must be tight when dry. I use my fingernail to stabilise the edge of the coil when pulling it through, so as not to distort the coil.

Second is that I have found it works best in lower powered setups. I think it has to do with it not wicking as fast.

Third, I have found it best (for me) for low powered fruity menthols. I use it in my Lemo1 at 12-15 Watts and in my Subtank Mini at the same power. Single coil - simple 1 ohm coil. For me, Rayon makes the fruity menthols crisper. Enhances the menthol. If it were a sound system analogy, its got more treble and a bit less bass. So that's where I use it and why I continue using it. I did try it with tobaccoes but far prefer cotton (Cotton Bacon V2 or Jap Cotton) for that.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
I used to love Cotton candy, that stuff was great and lasted forever but since i cant really find it anymore i just use CBV2, great stuff and also sometimes the cotton and fibers stuff too, would love to get my hands on some cotton candy again but CBV2 is found everywhere so it has a great convenience aspect as well as being amazing cotton...... way way better than prime

I used to love Cotton candy, that stuff was great and lasted forever but since i cant really find it anymore i just use CBV2, great stuff and also sometimes the cotton and fibers stuff too, would love to get my hands on some cotton candy again but CBV2 is found everywhere so it has a great convenience aspect as well as being amazing cotton...... way way better than prime

[URL]https://www.vapedomain.co.za/products/the-cotton-candy-collection?variant=55135663445

[/URL]

I can't remember when last we had a mass complaint about an atty which was is almost impossible to wick. In the old days, this was common and dry hits were frequent.

I remember these days all too well. My biggest challenge was wicking my Fogger V4 RTA. Reminds me of the Alfa GTV I used to own... 99% of the time NOTHING would work but as soon as you're ready to either burn it or throw it away, it would work so beautifully that you instantly forgot about the issues. And then it would just turn around and bite you in the ass again... Good times.. lol

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

I am going to eliminate the word fibreglass and use the word silica.(for political reasons)
I mixed cotton and silica and for the first time and I am getting the same flavour from my vape.
And also a pronounced flavour from it.
No fading and no dull moments.
So that tells me that either I am exited about using something different and it's making me perceive it taste better or cotton doesn't really work for me and I am on the right track in searching for something else.
When using cotton I would prefer to run my cotton dry, it just gave me better flavour that way ,but was also bad when I ran it too dry.
Silica might not even be the best or better option for me but currently it's working great so I will continue testing it till I find another option that give me consistent results.
And just maybe this might help a fellow vapers.

The cotton Freemax uses in their sub-ohm tanks are excetional.
Flavour throughout use

I'm still running running silica (without cotton, too impatient for that shite), however my lowest builds are around 0.4 Ohm only.

The cotton Freemax uses in their sub-ohm tanks are excetional.
Flavour throughout use
Have to agree, it’s a tea fibre cotton type, and the stuff is amazing. Think I have a small sample somewhere, will have to dig and try to find and test, if my memory is still good and I’m remembering correctly. Now just to find someone with some Royal cotton stock and my day will be made. Very hard to find and it just works better imho in MTL and BB, and I’m down to my last half packet. Treating it like gold at this stage.

I'm still running running silica (without cotton, too impatient for that shite), however my lowest builds are around 0.4 Ohm only.
I did .35 but got slight dry hits when the coil heated up too much. So I took shorter puffs.
For experimenting I'm not changing the coil soon. I will wait till it wears or by next week which ever comes first.
That said, the dry hits wasn't that bad as with cotton.

IMG_20200225_192537.jpg IMG_20200225_192655.jpg IMG_20200225_193047.jpg IMG_20200225_193456.jpg
Flavour quite good from the start.
NIC hit is harder,vape is smoother but I'm experiencing slight flooding.
I think this might be due to the wick being stranded,but it's not that bad that I get juice on the inhale15826530396827143367854923170728.jpg results could be better but not disappointing at all.

Slight issue with flooding. The lessor the juice got in the tank,the more it flooded.
(Science in action)
So I clipped the silica and added cotton in the wicking holes.IMG_20200225_205426.jpg
And currently testing.

As a "tootle puffer" (lowest 0.4 Ohm) and only using RDA's, I never experienced flooding, might be different on a RTA.

As a "tootle puffer" (lowest 0.4 Ohm) and only using RDA's, I never experienced flooding, might be different on a RTA.
I may need to get the braided silica.it seems the way this RDA is set up for wicking the strands don't work in sealing the wick holes properly.
So I just thought plug the holes and see what happens.
I have been getting dry hits after:eek:

Back