Wicking : Is it needed to put cotton over the whole base?

Law of osmosis: "Matter moves from a region of high concentration to a region of low concentration until dynamic equilibrium is reached"
But I think in a wick it is a matter of capillary action.

But I think in a wick it is a matter of capillary action.

Sure, but capillary action relies on both diffusion and cohesion/adhesion - without either, capillary action (defined as the ability of liquid to flow within a space without the assistance or opposition to any external force) would not be possible. What makes it possible are the internal forces, viz diffusion and Molecular cohesion ;-)

Last edited:
Dont you have to have a very thin tube for that?

Also a very valid point. Can one consider it to be capillary action in the absence of a tube, or void-like space?

Edit: Capillary action can actually happen in the abscence of a void;
Wikipedia" said:
The effect can be seen in the drawing up of liquids between the hairs of a paint-brush, in a thin tube, in porous materials such as paper, in some non-porous materials such as liquefied carbon fiber, or in a cell.

So is it osmosis that the juice from the deck flows to the centre of the wick ?

Or capillary action from the dry wick pulling the juices upwards ?

So is it osmosis that the juice from the deck flows to the centre of the wick ?

Or capillary action from the dry wick pulling the juices upwards ?

Both actually, In this case the capillary action would be as consequence of diffusion - the heated coils evaporate the fluid and cause a low concentration of fluid in that section of wick, causing fluid to move from a concentrated region (further down the wick) to that point of the wick. The form of the wick defines its movement as capillary action. Think of capillary action as a consequential reaction instead of primary one.

Last edited:
@John you should change your name to Bill (Bill Nye the Science Guy)

I watched his show religiously as a kid :)

I just realised I used the wrong term here, please ignore my references to OSMOSIS, what I meant to refer to was DIFFUSION

As for less is more, check out sxmxdrifter on YouTube the man displays his mad wicking skills on his collection of reo mods.

Back