Wicking

Hey guys

Just got my Drop Dead this morning, here's how I wicked it. I know the coils aren't 100% symmetrical but I did make sure they are both firing at about the same time and are glowing inside out. I used the 2.5 firebolt in these 3 mm coils since I don't want it too tight inside. Does it look decent?
It doesn't taste amazing but I do have Covid and my sense of smell and taste is up to shit so I won't judge it too harshly :)20201205_205304.jpg 20201205_205304.jpg 20201205_205310.jpg 20201205_205310.jpg

Hey guys

Just got my Drop Dead this morning, here's how I wicked it. I know the coils aren't 100% symmetrical but I did make sure they are both firing at about the same time and are glowing inside out. I used the 2.5 firebolt in these 3 mm coils since I don't want it too tight inside. Does it look decent?
It doesn't taste amazing but I do have Covid and my sense of smell and taste is up to shit so I won't judge it too harshly :)View attachment 215919 View attachment 215919 View attachment 215920 View attachment 215920
I am guessing that the Covoid isn't hitting to hard. You are lucky. Speedy recovery.

Good luck with the Covid 19, your parents and yourself!

As for your Drop Dead build: if it tastes good (even with Covid in your system), then imagine how good it is going to taste when you are feeling better!

Hi guys

When u remove your cotton after a little while, should the entire piece be the colour of your juice? I find that the centre is pretty much white. Does this mean it's too tight?

Yes it can be. Is the flavor muted?

Have a look at Crafted Coils facebook page for his Reload wicking tutorial.

Are you using cotton bacon?

You may want to push your coils closer to one another, I think they are too far apart.

All the best for your and your parents recovery!

Last edited:
Good luck with the Covid 19, your parents and yourself!

As for your Drop Dead build: if it tastes good (even with Covid in your system), then imagine how good it is going to taste when you are feeling better!
Thanks bud, I wouldn't say it tastes good but it has a little flavour and for now I'll take that!

You may want to push your could closer to one another, I think they are too far apart.

All the best for your and your parents recovery!
All the reviewers I've watched say the closer the coils are to the airflow the better the flavour will be, so I put them as far apart as possible. I will try put them closer tho...

Thanks for the well wishes :)

As folks have already said... the more you wick any RBA the better you will get.

Wicking is a total "feel" thing. Generally speaking, you want to feel some resistance (cotton) as you pull a wick through the coil. Also, moving the wick side-to-side in the coil you want to feel some resistance. Proper trimming of the tails plays a role as well, all depends on the specifics of the build deck of the atty.

A general rule of thumb is...
if a wick is too tight in the coil = dry hits
if it's too loose = (possible) flooding

I use Cottonman's Mavaton's Select, Carolina Blend and Mavaton X. And I also use the Tidi rayon balls (medical grade). Like several folks here I have multiple RBA's and mods (6-8) in rotation all the time. I like switching off between cotton and rayon.

If using rayon you want to use ~1/3 more in overall thickness versus cotton. Rayon contracts when saturated while cotton expands when saturated.

:)

Back