Woodvil Care and Maintenance

So the final sand has happened and this thing feels like silk.

Next step is the steel wool rub and the buff with a buffing cloth followed by a coat of stain or a coat of oil. Really don't know what to do as I would like to bring out the grain but I don't want to make the mod darker.
Also I think I like a single tone throught.
I've made the woodvil a little curvier, note the squonk hole is curved slightly now.
2016-04-06 19.07.42.jpg 2016-04-06 19.07.27.jpg 2016-04-06 19.07.10.jpg 2016-04-06 19.06.52.jpg 2016-04-06 19.06.36.jpg

If you really still consider the stain idea then test it on the inside of the mod,I doubt it will make the grain 'pop' though!
Please don't attack the mod with steel wool,if you've prepared it properly you may even rough it again doing this,again just check on the back of the door first.

If you really still consider the stain idea then test it on the inside of the mod,I doubt it will make the grain 'pop' though!
Please don't attack the mod with steel wool,if you've prepared it properly you may even rough it again doing this,again just check on the back of the door first.

It's fine steel wool that came with the tru oil kit :D honestly it didn't make a difference except it clogged up the magnets with little metal filings.

First coat.
2016-04-06 22.08.24.jpg 2016-04-06 22.08.08.jpg
2016-04-06 22.07.40.jpg

Internals got oiled too.

I'll apply a new layer daily for the next 4 or 5 days and reveal the finished wood then.

After just one coat it's beginning to look the way it did when I got it so I suspect 3 layers might be enough and ill oil it once a month going forward.

Once the oil is dry I'll reassemble and solder the connections and epoxy the 510 in place.

The gold button will be replaced by a silver one.

2016-04-06 22.31.31.jpg

I went for lunch and missed my window to say "Don't stain!", but it looks like you got there in the end with some help.

The natural grain and colouring of this mod deserves to shine, IMHO. Good job - she's looking very perky (and who doesn't like perky?).

Ok last photos for the day.
Turned the flash on so we can see the shine. I know the oil is still wet but the pics don't do the mod any justice.
I am impressed.
2016-04-06 23.15.54.jpg 2016-04-06 23.15.35.jpg

Coat #3 had been applied. This wood is thirsty!

Going to wait for it to dry then use a buffing cloth on it, clean her up again, followed by the final coat. Then wait a day or 2 and re assemble.2016-04-07 16.13.26.jpg 2016-04-07 16.12.51.jpg

Pics as of this morning with the dry oil.
She is so bright she hurts my eyes.
The wood has indeed come alive.
2016-04-08 09.43.48.jpg 2016-04-08 09.43.25.jpg 2016-04-08 09.43.13.jpg

Aw, all shiny and clean like a newborn babe. Well, after the newborn babe's first bath, I suppose.

Awesome work :Laie_22mini:

I'm really getting impatient now and I would like to re assemble but I have that voice at the back of my mind saying "it needs to be shinier , add another coat!"

Slightly off topic but I've been exploring ideas as to how the juice got into my woodvil in the first place.
I have tested the 510 and it doesn't leak.
I've been using the nuppin for a day now and thinking of a post @Silver made with the nuppin leak on the side and I discover my nuppin also leaks!
I did use the nuppin for about 4 days on the woodvil so I think this is the culprit.

Not too clear but there is a ring of juice around the nuppin. It's easy to see how on taking this thing apart daily and washing it one would miss the leak as it's so small.
2016-04-08 12.27.10.jpg

If liquid gets on a Woodvil it's not as much of an issue as long as it doesn't find a way to make direct contact with the wood. IMO the main culprit was a way for liquid to seep in between the wax/finish/glue/etc and contact raw wood. Would be same with plain water as with eliquid as it too will rot wood moldy in time if not corrected.

If liquid gets on a Woodvil it's not as much of an issue as long as it doesn't find a way to make direct contact with the wood. IMO the main culprit was a way for liquid to seep in between the wax/finish/glue/etc and contact raw wood. Would be same with plain water as with eliquid as it too will rot wood moldy in time if not corrected.
I should have been more suspicious when I discovered the 510 was loose.
At the time the mod was so beautiful I was scared to attempt anything in the fear I break it.

I agree though, time and juice along the outsides of the 510 went unnoticed for too long!

I'll just leave this here.
Think I should wait a few days for the oil to cure properly.

2016-04-08 14.05.53.jpg

I should have been more suspicious when I discovered the 510 was loose.
At the time the mod was so beautiful I was scared to attempt anything in the fear I break it.

I agree though, time and juice along the outsides of the 510 went unnoticed for too long!

In the end you'll have a special attachment to her, because of all the work and care that went into it. This thread will also help a lot of us when one day we have to cross that bridge.

In the end you'll have a special attachment to her, because of all the work and care that went into it. This thread will also help a lot of us when one day we have to cross that bridge.
She was my favourite mod before she had any "work done". So did I put so much effort because she was my favourite or is she going to be my favourite because of all the work.
Chicken and egg dilemma :D

The idea for this thread was to enlighten newbie woodvil users to what needs to happen as these devices are not run of the mill devices. I certainly learned a lot from our experienced woodvil guys. Hopefully no one ever had to endure a woodvil sand and re-do.

Moral of the story keep a close eye on your woodvil and wax/oil her regularly.

She's gorgeous.

Plus, now she has stories to tell. Always adds character, that.

Nice job @Christos.
I found a picture of a wood vape gear failure I had around 2 years ago, a DT. Brian at DTD made this for me. Burl over a less than full length SS core with a cap where the glue that bonded the cap to wood failed internally and let juice enriched vapor seep into the woods end grain. After clean up with PGA had completely aired out, I could get a whiff of moldy smell coming from it. Black mold is as not good at all if it is Stachybotrys. Not all black mold is, but it is not worth taking the chance and was not worth trying to fix a $45 tip.
dtd-fail.jpg

Back