Wotofo Elder Dragon RDA

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Elder Dragon RDA from Wotofo. The Elder Dragon RDA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Antonio from Wotofo.

https://www.wotofo.com/collections/rda/p...ragon-rda#

Introduction

The Elder Dragon RDA is a single coil flavour chasing RDA and a collaboration between RYUJIN (Dragon God (i'm not saying anything)) a Japanese Youtuber and Wotofo. The RDA has a Japanese cultural design with the shape supposed to represent a Pagoda and the overall look of the deck with inlets depicting the Tai Chi symbol. Looking at this little single coil RDA it has all the attributes to give good flavour, but does it? I give my opinion!

In the Box

Contents:

1pc Elder Dragon RDA
1pc Coil Trimming Tool
1pc Extra Drip Tip
1pc 510 Drip Tip Adapter
1pc User Manual
1bag Clapton Coil
1bag 3mm Agleted Cotton
1bag Extra Orings & Screws

Aesthetics

The Elder Dragon RDA came in the usual Wotofo Green cardboard packaging with viewing window. I received the Blue version, it's also available in Black, Gun Metal, Gold, Stainless Steel and Rainbow, all come pre-installed with matching 810 drip tips. The overall shape i am liking a lot and i'm sure many will like it's unique shape which is also practical for producing flavour but as always aesthetics are subjective. The shape is supposed to be based on a Pagoda, to me it looks like an upside down cauldron, with indented central groove that goes round it's diameter. the RDA's sleeve also has some grooves towards the bottom and at the top is rounded, the diameter at the base is 22mm but at it's widest point is 24mm. The sleeve has two round airflow holes either side which are spaced quite a distance apart and are positioned within the central indented groove. The base of the RDA has printed branding and safety stamps, it comes pre-installed with a Gold plated BF pin.

Elder Dragon Specs and Features:

Specifications

Build Deck Diameter: 22mm
Overall Height: 34.5mm (with drip tip and 510 pin)
Threading: 510 Thread
Body Material: Stainless Steel
Coil Configuration: Single Coil
Juice Feeding Method: Drip / Squonk
Insulator Material: German PEEK

Included coil specs

Tri Core Fused Clapton Coil
26Gx3+38G N80
ID 3mm
0.17ohm (40W-75W)

Features

1. Compact pagoda shape
2. Tai chi symbol deck bottom
3. Detachable air inlets for easy cleaning
4. 22mm postless build deck allowing different coil directions
5. Down-to-coil air structure enhancing vaporizing performance
6. Focused air supply guaranteeing perfect flavor production
7. Deep juice well, less frequent dripping

Colours: Black, Gun Metal, Blue, Gold, Stainless Steel, Rainbow

The Various Parts

The Elder Dragon comprises of drip tip, outer sleeve and deck section, so a very simple structure. The o-rings that secure the sleeve on the base section are thick and proud so the RDA does come not being able to turn the sleeve for airflow adjustment and the first time takes a hell of a tug to pull the sleeve off. Once off lubricate the o-rings and then it's much better. The sleeve has a rail lock so locks on to the base but allows enough play for airflow adjustment which works very well. The airflow inlets on the deck are removable which is something that is marketed as a great feature but personally i feel it's very unnecessary as you can clean the deck section easy enough without removal and removing them means unscrewing them which just make both the screws and inlets possible to drop and maybe lose. The Elder Dragon comes with a pre-installed Goon style 810 drip tip which matches the colour of the RDA, you also get a frosted Goon style 810 and 510 adaptor, the RDA has a lip where the drip tip sits so all Goon style will fit but some might look a bit weird.

Spares

Thought i would add this section because as normal with Wotofo products they haven't been mean when it comes to what comes with the RDA. As mentioned you get 2 drip tips and a 510 adaptor plus the usual spare o-rings and screws. You also receive a standard 510 pin (a BF pin is pre-installed), a coil cutting tool which is marked for the best length for this RDA, Shoe lace cotton, 2 very nice coils with full specs given, allen key and screwdriver.

The Airflow

The airflow on the sleeve is 2 large holes either side, these holes are spaced quite far apart. When the sleeve is in position the holes on the sleeve line up with the outside holes of the deck airflow inlets, the rail system has just enough play to allow to turn the sleeve to get more restriction. Each of the air inlet sections on the deck has 2 shoots that are angled both towards each other (so the 2 outlets on the deck are much closer to each other than they are on the sleeve and outside of the deck) and downwards, so the air is aimed at the lower side and underneath the coil. The air that misses the lower side of the coil will travel from both sides and meet in the middle which will force it upwards giving the Elder Dragon bottom airflow. The removable inlets are large sections with long shoots allowing good jets of air to form, this means they take up a lot of space which because the RDA has a postless deck are an advantage as they don't intrude on coiling the RDA but the space they take up reduces the chamber encouraging flavour. The overall domed shape of the Elder Dragon, precisely aimed airflow shoots and reduced chamber was telling me this is going to be very much a flavour RDA before even trying it.

BF pin Pre-installed Con

The Dragon Elder RDA comes pre-installed with a BF pin which suits me as i don't use RDA's as standard drippers (it's my least favourite way of vaping) but do like to use them on squonking devices. I do have to put it comes with a pre-installed BF pin as a con though as if people use it as a standard dripper not realising the BF pin is installed they could get e-liquid getting inside and damaging their device.

The Deck and Build

Nothing to this one, it's a postless deck just drop your coil legs into the terminals and tighten. There are 4 terminals so you have a choice which way to put your legs and just leave the 2 terminals you don't use redundant, this is a single coil RDA only. Your coil legs can be cut to the perfect size using the supplied coil cutting tool which has marked on it the best size for the Elder Dragon. Once your coil legs are cut to size undo the screws for the terminals you are using from the side of the deck (they are Philips heads), drop your legs in and tighten, all done! There is 2 (one each side) half circular cutouts in the side perimeter of the deck which can be used for using a coiling rod to keep your coil in position while tightening your legs. When wicking i left my cotton ends quite long as although it's a 22mm deck with those large inlet sections you are still left with two good sized areas for placing your cotton.

My Experience Using The Elder Dragon

I used the Elder Dragon with one of the supplied coils installed and with the BF pin, i used it both on the Delta and Battlestar Squonkers. When squonking i can see that some people who are zealous with their squonking could end up with a mess as when squonking liquid does go up the air shoots before receding but i actually found it great for squonking turning this into an advantage. Just care needs taking when squonking, liquid appears at the airflow openings but then recedes back down the shoots it's only if you squonk again while the liquid is visible you actually get liquid escaping so you can use the airflow holes as a guide. When it came to performing the only issue i had was when testing airflow adjustment i found the RDA attempted to whistle which would be annoying if using with the airflow reduced but personally i found it had the right restriction for me fully open so not an issue but for those that like a lot or restriction worth baring in mind. The main pro for the Elder Dragon is the flavour, it's up their with the very best single coil flavour producing RDA's without question, i'm more into RTA's but the Elder Dragon will be going into my rotating atty's that i use by choice.

Unique looking
Many colour options
Reduced Chamber
Flavour encouraging shape
Side and bottom airflow (shoots giving precisely aimed jets of air)
Lock rail system allowing sleeve only to rotate for adjusting airflow but won't go any further.
Build very easy
Wicking very easy
Air inlets detachable for cleaning (i feel unnecessary but some will like)
One of the very best single coil RDA's for flavour (my opinion)
Included coils with specs
Included coil cutting guide
Included Shoe lace cotton
Included 2 different 810 drip tips plus 510 adaptor
Included usual spares (including both solid and BF pin)
Performs Great with BF pin (just pay attention to air holes)
Did not test but see no reason why it wouldn't perform great as standard dripper

Cons

when closing down airflow it attempts to whistle
Comes pre-installed with BF pin (RDA's should come with solid pin installed)
Sleeve very tight due to proud o-rings (ok once lubricated)
Lip where drip tips get fitted will make some 810's look odd
Care needs taking when squonking (but if you take care works great)

I would once again like to thank Antonio from Wotofo for supplying the Elder Dragon RDA for the purpose of this review.

https://www.wotofo.com/collections/rda/p...ragon-rda#

Back