Load shedding.. are you prepared ??

Thanks to stinking Eskom and the rest of the inept Government my Desktop PC with nice dual monitors is out of commission but never fear... an older notebook has been resurrected and ecigssa is back on track... but the REO's are all charged and rewicked so Sunday isn't too back with no PC. ;-)

View attachment 15920
Wow thats an insane collection man

834690.gif

HARD NAKED REALITY: Duhva Power Station turbine smash.

Sweeping the bullshit as well as the taxpayer’s money under the carpet!

Not really intended for the public, BUT, amazing how pics like these can get out even after Eskom put a blanket of secrecy around the whole incident. Eskom like hiding stuff like this?

So I found out what happened at Duhva power station and the busted turbine.

They were doing a test of the turbine overspeed protection system, and in short, the protection did not kick in. Conventional wisdom tells me that there should be a better way to test a protection system than to try and destroy the turbine and see if it feels like protecting itself, but that’s basically what they did.

The turbine has a governor valve which controls the amount of steam coming into the turbine In order to keep it running at the right speed (3000 rpm for our grid frequency) and then it has a main isolation valve to shut the steam off completely. The protections systems (of which there are 3 independent systems, and a dude with his finger on the emergency button) are supposed to close this main isolation valve in a fraction of a second when the turbine over-sped.

So they get ready for the test, they dump a helluva lot of steam onto the turbine, speed starts going crazy, it went from 3000 RPM to 4500 RMP in ten seconds (they are generally only designed for 10 to 15% over-speed, all three protection systems should have kicked in by the time you get to 110%). Anyway, I don’t know why, but all three systems failed, and the dude with his finger on the manual trip button wasn’t at his post. So the result was a big bang, some fire and a lot of steam going where it shouldn’t go.

Scary thing is Duvha has a shared turbine hall. All six units are placed in one long straight line, with no missile shield between them. And if you look at the third pic you can see how big that shaft is, if that landed on another turbine it would have destroyed that too. They are very lucky they didn’t lose the entire station.

So anyway, what gets reported in the news? “Unforeseen maintenance” at one of the units at Duvha requires it to remain shut down for 18 months - understatement of the century in my book. But you shut off the containment ventilation system at Koeberg for one hour and a radiation alarm goes off, then it’s a front page news national crisis, I give up.

Duv-1.jpg

Duv-2.jpg

Duv-3.jpg

Duv-4.jpg

Duv-5.jpg

Duv-6.jpg

That's not a quick repair job. Well they have been running these things hard and not taking them down for maintenance as per spec this was bound to happen. I'm waiting for one of the open cycle gas turbines to go pop to they running them for 16hrs a day. They where built to run for 2 - 4 hrs at a time.

That's not a quick repair job. Well they have been running these things hard and not taking them down for maintenance as per spec this was bound to happen. I'm waiting for one of the open cycle gas turbines to go pop to they running them for 16hrs a day. They where built to run for 2 - 4 hrs at a time.
Maintaining for who.. This machine still run, we take bonus this year

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Not really intended for the public, BUT, amazing how pics like these can get out even after Eskom put a blanket of secrecy around the whole incident. Eskom like hiding stuff like this?

They were doing a test of the turbine overspeed protection system, and in short, the protection did not kick in. Conventional wisdom tells me that there should be a better way to test a protection system than to try and destroy the turbine and see if it feels like protecting itself, but that’s basically what they did.

The turbine has a governor valve which controls the amount of steam coming into the turbine In order to keep it running at the right speed (3000 rpm for our grid frequency) and then it has a main isolation valve to shut the steam off completely. The protections systems (of which there are 3 independent systems, and a dude with his finger on the emergency button) are supposed to close this main isolation valve in a fraction of a second when the turbine over-sped.

So they get ready for the test, they dump a helluva lot of steam onto the turbine, speed starts going crazy, it went from 3000 RPM to 4500 RMP in ten seconds (they are generally only designed for 10 to 15% over-speed, all three protection systems should have kicked in by the time you get to 110%). Anyway, I don’t know why, but all three systems failed, and the dude with his finger on the manual trip button wasn’t at his post. So the result was a big bang, some fire and a lot of steam going where it shouldn’t go.

Scary thing is Duvha has a shared turbine hall. All six units are placed in one long straight line, with no missile shield between them. And if you look at the third pic you can see how big that shaft is, if that landed on another turbine it would have destroyed that too. They are very lucky they didn’t lose the entire station.

So anyway, what gets reported in the news? “Unforeseen maintenance” at one of the units at Duvha requires it to remain shut down for 18 months - understatement of the century in my book. But you shut off the containment ventilation system at Koeberg for one hour and a radiation alarm goes off, then it’s a front page news national crisis, I give up.

View attachment 17004

View attachment 17005

View attachment 17006

View attachment 17007

View attachment 17008

View attachment 17009

Nice find @johan

Bummer! :-@

The issue is not with the Power Supply! It's a motherboard issue and of course I have a generation i7 Processor that doesn't fit the new boards! So I'm on this mickey mouse notebook till Tuesday! :doh:

I am truly sorry about your loss. I had a iMac two years ago and the same thing happened. However since the iMac is an all in one unit, I lost my hard drive, memory screen and motherboard. I was not insured and Apple SA wanted R8500.00 for the repair excl. hard drive and ram. I was not insured and lost roughly R13000.00 ;(

Went to buy a generator today and couldn't find one! All sold out everywhere. Had to order one and hope it will be here by next week! Eish!

View attachment 17004

View attachment 17005

View attachment 17006

View attachment 17007

View attachment 17008

View attachment 17009

That's what happens when you sub-ohm with cheap batteries :rofl:

Not sure if its the same power station but that blow up happened a while ago 2011 or 2013 or some ware in between. It is one of those i know someone who knows someone kind of things but the story behind it was that the lubricants used in the generator was contaminated with steam (not sure how these genies work, but my geuss would be a failed seal or something like that) and one of the shaft bearings locked up while the gen was running. because of the amount of weight behind the turbine shaft... lets just say it vented. Still comes down to one simple thing that most factories believe in... preventative maintenance over reactive maintenance.

Not sure if its the same power station but that blow up happened a while ago 2011 or 2013 or some ware in between. It is one of those i know someone who knows someone kind of things but the story behind it was that the lubricants used in the generator was contaminated with steam (not sure how these genies work, but my geuss would be a failed seal or something like that) and one of the shaft bearings locked up while the gen was running. because of the amount of weight behind the turbine shaft... lets just say it vented. Still comes down to one simple thing that most factories believe in... preventative maintenance over reactive maintenance.

The same is generally true for IT... but if you think its an easy sell to get your company/client/etc to buy into things like preventative maintenance, fault redundancy, and failover tolerance; Well then I guess ignorance is bliss...

Convincing people to get off that horse where something "hasn't happened so far", is damn near impossible.

That Duvha incident happened a few years ago, but ja, it contributed to this situation. So did the coal supply mismanagement. And now we are supposed to be getting several Russian nuclear power stations, just like India. hmm?
oh and further to the Duvha incident, it was a balls-up with the test procedures. It didn't just blow. The scheduled maintenance involves load testing and the management was not properly qualified and someone made a mistake. The system was overloaded for too long and then the correct procedure was not followed.
And i got the impression from what some people said, some former engineers, that the people who used to be managing it, are now staying in other countries.
Carry on.

Last edited:
I'm getting my generator on Monday, so I'll be set....lol

The same is generally true for IT... but if you think its an easy sell to get your company/client/etc to buy into things like preventative maintenance, fault redundancy, and failover tolerance; Well then I guess ignorance is bliss...

Convincing people to get off that horse where something "hasn't happened so far", is damn near impossible.

Yeah until it does then every one goes "but why didn't you do something before it happened", And the poor IT Slave on the bottom gets the hiding for it... :hit:

Eskom blackouts because of Apartheid: Zuma

South Africa’s energy problems were a product of apartheid and government was not to blame for the current blackouts, President Jacob Zuma said on Friday.

http://businesstech.co.za/news/government/76042/eskom-blackouts-because-of-apartheid-zuma/

Its true the old government didn't do much in the way of forward planning, no arguments there. BUT Mr President... YOU HAD FREAKING 20 YEARS TO FIX THE :censored: not 1 not 2 not even 4, 20 freaking years.

EDIT:

If I bought a second hand car, and looked at the service book and noticed that the book was not stamped for the last service do I...

A) Drive it without servicing it until it turns to crap and then blame the previous owner for not managing the cars maintenance?
B) Take It in for or do my own service on the car to ensure that it will stay a reliable source of transportation...

Last edited:
I'm not even going to partake in this discussion because I will loose my mind and end up spitting on my screen and keyboard! :-@

Oxymorons include word pairs like deafening silence, controlled chaos, living dead, dark light etc.

As far as 'Smart Zuma' goes, I think we can safely drop the 'Oxy' from Oxymoron....

Loadshedding going on right now here. Gennie is purring like a kitten outside and I'm online and batteries are charging :p

Back