My first RTA

Okay so i did my first build this morning

I used Geek Vape Framed Staple Fused Clapton - 0.25ohm with Cotton Bacon

I did everything as per above and i have no leaks, but im getting a massive amount of super hot spitback

Firstly, the build on this deck forces you to unwrap one wrap seeing as the posts are on opposite sides.

What could be the cause of the spitback?

Hi @StaticX
I have gotten spitback when the wicking is not enough. But not sure what tank you are using.
maybe try it a bit tighter. A little bit more cotton might help.

Other thing could be to increase the power a bit
Lastly try for a longer driptip. Doesnt solve the spiback but can reduce the amount that reaches your mouth

Last edited:
Great choice on the AMMIT, it's great for first time builders and it's incredibly easy to wick - if I can, anyone can!

Wick it correctly (as mentioned - not that difficult) and it rewards you with massive flavour.

@Silver Thank you for the advice, i have tried to wick it now again but still getting the same effect

@ace_d_house_cat i must be missing something because i cant get it to work correctly, ill see if i cant go to some shop this weekend and ask for some help to see how its done in person.

Really hope i learn quick seeing as i have just heard good things of the flavour coming from this units

@Silver Thank you for the advice, i have tried to wick it now again but still getting the same effect

@ace_d_house_cat i must be missing something because i cant get it to work correctly, ill see if i cant go to some shop this weekend and ask for some help to see how its done in person.

Really hope i learn quick seeing as i have just heard good things of the flavour coming from this units

What helped me a lot was to go to a reputable vape shop and asked them to show me how to coil and wick. Most retailors wont mind provided you don't pitch up during peak times or 10 minutes before closing.

I watched numerous videos on youtube but the most I learned was from seeing somebody doing it in front of me. And ask questions. What seem strange to you is second nature to most of the pro's.

And don't be shy to go. I have a colleague thats got a honors in electrical enginering. He cannot coil or wick to save his life. Once a week he drops his mods at a local vape shop and pick them up again. You at least are trying, and that is great.

I have watched a few videos on Youtube the past few days, but will definitely do some more watching this weekend and keep trying my wicking.

@Adephi i will be asking the shops in CPT if anyone would mind sparing a few minutes this weekend to help me out (best way to learn for me would be to watch someone do it in person)

I have watched a few videos on Youtube the past few days, but will definitely do some more watching this weekend and keep trying my wicking.

@Adephi i will be asking the shops in CPT if anyone would mind sparing a few minutes this weekend to help me out (best way to learn for me would be to watch someone do it in person)
Good luck StaticX, I am sure they will help, and the best way to learn is to look and then do. Good luck with that and enjoy.

@StaticX are you using a Goblin or an Ammit dual?
@daniel craig - i have the Ammit 25 Single coil
Geekvape-AMMIT-25-rta-3d-airflow.jpg

@Room Fogger
Thank you. I'm sure someone will be able to help me, i have been on the Cape Town Vape FB page for a few weeks and the people on there are very nice

@daniel craig - i have the Ammit 25 Single coil
Geekvape-AMMIT-25-rta-3d-airflow.jpg
Great choice with this RTA. It wicks similar to my Pharaoh Mini.

I would suggest that you use a piece of cotton that has a tightish fit in the coil. When pulling the cotton, it shouldn't pull through easily but rather, it should have some resistance.

The next step is to cut your cotton. Cut the cotton so that it can tuck into those wicking ports nicely. You don't want a too long piece fitting in those ports as this would lead to dry hits. You just want to fill up those ports.

You could also thread the cotton through the coil and then cut the cotton about a 1mm more than at the place where the 'ring' and the cotton meet (The ring is right there by the wicking ports on the deck) . This will give you more a less a guideline and you can tweak it further if needed.

This is the video i watched this morning before i started my first attempt

If i do not come right by this weekend, i would appreciate the pics

Okay so here is my third attempt, before i add juice, can anyone spot a mistake i may be making?
be6280a36dbb96f4b8f2e7cf770a7250.jpg
460ef69de40ead888fef0662fe39da9d.jpg
1faa163030a03f2899029a432def3434.jpg
c627f1cd83f2261dc6760151df98bc45.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Okay so here is my third attempt, before i add juice, can anyone spot a mistake i may be making?
be6280a36dbb96f4b8f2e7cf770a7250.jpg
460ef69de40ead888fef0662fe39da9d.jpg
1faa163030a03f2899029a432def3434.jpg
c627f1cd83f2261dc6760151df98bc45.jpg

Looks goof! I'm assuming by now you would have tried it?

No i have not yet, will be trying it in a bit and hope it works

Okay so i only added a small amount of juice in the tank and it gave 3-4 good hit, i then filled the tank to halfway and the spit back was there again.

Really don't know what I'm doing wrong

Have you made sure there’s no hot spots before wicking? Also consider trying plain round wire coil.

@StaticX , see you are advertising the Ammit, don't be hasty! It may take a little while to get it perfect, but the enjoyment is unparalleled!! If you have to, shelf it for a couple of days, and pay your nearest vape shop a visit. Good luck.

@Room Fogger

I just lost my cool today with the Ammit

I switched out the coils as per the advice i received from the Ammit 25 thread and to my surprise it work.

Okay so with the first wick i did not get any spit back, but i got dry hits seeing as my cotton was too much in the juice wells.

I then re-wicked and there it was no dry hits and almost no spit back at all. The only problem was i could not get any flavour. . . I mean i get 100x the flavour out of my smok tank

So i must still be doing something wrong and thus i'm not getting the flavour. .. . Im going to some vape shops tomorrow so mayble ill see what they say

@Room Fogger

I just lost my cool today with the Ammit

I switched out the coils as per the advice i received from the Ammit 25 thread and to my surprise it work.

Okay so with the first wick i did not get any spit back, but i got dry hits seeing as my cotton was too much in the juice wells.

I then re-wicked and there it was no dry hits and almost no spit back at all. The only problem was i could not get any flavour. . . I mean i get 100x the flavour out of my smok tank

So i must still be doing something wrong and thus i'm not getting the flavour. .. . Im going to some vape shops tomorrow so mayble ill see what they say

Great news, once you see someone doing it that is used to it, it makes identifying possible causes so much easier. Practice makes perfect, but does work on the trial and error system! Keep at it, those guys will have you smiling in a short time.

@StaticX , it is just practice, you'll get it, trust me, been where you are now, even now and then I have bad wicks, but you'll get there

Okay so today i went to Juicy Joes in Durbanville Cape Town.. . . What an great experience!

They are some awesome friendly people and they helped me with an amazing attitude!!!

The guy assisted me by wicking my ammit 25 (i hope i remember how he did it) and its giving amazing flavour without any spit back or dry hits

I also left with some great juices

I would recommend them to anyone in CPT for sure

907cb6d3e720aac1061489da56d4e8dd.jpg

Thats great to hear @StaticX
Im not surprised - Juicy Joes is a fantastic vape retailer and a great bunch of people

What coil is in your Ammit now?
Still that vicious coil you had that looks like The Terminator?
Hehe

Back