Hi - the build that works for me every time:
• Single Coil Builds
• SS Clapton - 32Ga over 28Ga
• 2.5mm ID - 6 Wraps - 0.2 spacing
• 5mm OD Organic Cotton
(Double the ID of the Coil)
• Ends Half way into Juice Cavities
• 0.5 to 0.6 Ohms - 26 - 28W

Both SM22 and SM25 have performed exceptionally well - Coils lasting over 3 Weeks and enjoying DIY Fruit and Bakery eJuices.

And one of the best configurations is the Subtank Mini RBA Plus in the SM Sub Ohm Tank - using Ni80 24 Ga.

Anyway - that is my 2c and hope it helps @AlphaDog

Hey folks! been running a Serpent mini 22 for 2 months now, and have been super happy with it. Battled a bit in the beginning with wicking, as it was my first RTA, but thought that i'd gotten it down for weeks now. Now, in the last day or so, my tank has been getting airlocked. No matter which wicking method or tips I try, it doesn't fix the problem. Tried the upside down tighten trick too, but to no avail. I've thinned the wicks more than I usually do with this last attempt (almost to the point where I would normally just get flooding), but still have a vacuum lock happening. This would be the 4th time I've rewicked today...
Any other suggestions as to what would be causing the problem?
Edit: the coild build is 26 gauge SS316L, 3mm, 7 wraps i think. Tried a 2,4mm build earlier today too, with the same results.

How do you do a poll on this forum? Would really like to know the ratio of SM25 users using single coil v dual coil.
Go to this subforum...

http://www.ecigssa.co.za/forums/surveys-and-polls/

Click the "Post New Thread" button in the top right, and the poll info is at the bottom. Let me know if you want me to put it up for you.

Another thing that keeps the poll alive is if you ask people to post a comment when they vote, that way every vote will refresh it in people's "New Post" page :)

For years now I have made my builds for the DIY joose itself "in" the atty it will be ran in. Same joose in 2-3 different atty's will most likely have different builds. IOW, I do not use generic builds in everything like some folks do. To get the best out of each of them I treat each joose unto its own and each atty also unto it's own. Works for me.

Hi. I post so much on this thread and I don't even own a SM tank. I just like to do my research first so thanks for all the responses I've been getting. Lastly, I'd like to know is the SM25 Hybrid safe? Has anyone tried it on a hybrid mech? And also could you please post a picture of the 510 pin. Thanks in advance.

Hi. I post so much on this thread and I don't even own a SM tank. I just like to do my research first so thanks for all the responses I've been getting. Lastly, I'd like to know is the SM25 Hybrid safe? Has anyone tried it on a hybrid mech? And also could you please post a picture of the 510 pin. Thanks in advance.

Serpent Base 001.JPG Serpent Base 002.JPG

If you screw down the deck tight tight you will get just over 1mm protrusion, iv tested it on a hybrid and didn't have any issues, however i dont encourage the idea

Finally got around to getting a SM, the 22mm version, and it's an amazing little tank. I get the hype! Not a single leak too:aaaaa:, thanks to reading this great thread! I did however notice that there aren't many MTL builds mention and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good MTL build for me to try out? The SM22 has quite a restricted airflow so I think MTL could definitely work here with the correct build.

I have been using mine (sm25) exclusively for 5 months, 90% in a single fused/clapton configuration, it has its learning curve regarding wicking, dont expect it to compete in the cloud department and it accumulates a sweat around the air intake but you can expect fantastic flavour, build quality, battery life and juice consumption. The dual coil deck is a nice addition but definitely not the highlight of this tank

It is funny how different folks' strokes' are. I prefer the dual deck 100% of the time...

It is funny how different folks' strokes' are. I prefer the dual deck 100% of the time...
Haha indeed, the few times i tried dual coil in the SM25 i found the excess heat (of the tank, not vapor) and battery drain wasn't worth the 5% flavour increase (ymmv). Iv received my hadaly today (still waiting for its better half, a paddy leprechaun) so ill dabble with dual coil again and report back, recommended build for dual coil?

Peace

Haha indeed, the few times i tried dual coil in the SM25 i found the excess heat (of the tank, not vapor) and battery drain wasn't worth the 5% flavour increase (ymmv). Iv received my hadaly today (still waiting for its better half, a paddy leprechaun) so ill dabble with dual coil again and report back, recommended build for dual coil?

Peace
24ga ni80 2.5id 7wraps a side compressed.

Sent from my Serpent Minikin

So I tried a 5wrap 3mm ID build with fused Clapton wire (demon killer) that comes out at 0.4ohm on my SM22. That flavour is amazing but the tank and drip tip heats up like crazy. I haven't worked with fused clapton wire before, so I'm not sure if it's too many wraps I'm using or too big a ID that's causing the excessive heat? Any recommendations how I can tweak my build to reduce the heat a bit?

So I tried a 5wrap 3mm ID build with fused Clapton wire (demon killer) that comes out at 0.4ohm on my SM22. That flavour is amazing but the tank and drip tip heats up like crazy. I haven't worked with fused clapton wire before, so I'm not sure if it's too many wraps I'm using or too big a ID that's causing the excessive heat? Any recommendations how I can tweak my build to reduce the heat a bit?
Raise the coil higher so it can get better air. Airflow wide open. And maybe a different drip tip. preferably delrin

Hi there. Although the 510 pin sticks out significantly in the SM25, it is small and not robust enough for me to put on one of my Hybrid Mechs. Some may disagree, but I won't take any chances. When I buy an RDA for a hybrid, the distance the pin sticks out and the the thickness thereof is the determining factor.

To test an atty for a hybrid, hold the atty upwards and push the 510 Pin down on a table top hard and see if it moves in slightly. You will be surprised how many pins move inwards with this test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SM 25 is by no means the "greatest" tank out there. My two give me an average to good performance. And the performance varies from build to build. It is a great tank, but there are a few cons.

What I have experienced is that different juices definitely perform differently in different tanks. Mr Rob Fisher uses almost exclusively XXX e-liquid in his SM25's. Perhaps this juice just works well for him in this tank, hence his praises for the SM25. Respect!

Also the way you construct a build can differ each time, even though you are building according to what others say works for them. Hence the performance variations.

For example, I fluff my cotton and pull the wicks right through the the little ring and air flow holes. In fact I fluff the cotton out until it sticks out about 2mm through the holes. This works great for me. Why? I cannot say. Perhaps because I use the Scottish roll method with organic cotton from Dischem. This cotton may have a slightly different capillary action to Cotton Bacon for example.

On some builds your wire may be rolled tighter than on other builds, the cotton density, or thickness of cotton may differ from your previous build with the same ID and number of wraps.

My point is simply this. Good, consistent coil building and wicking is not only a skill, but an art. The fun lies in the challenge of finding the best coil build and wicking that works for YOU!

I have used tanks that others have told me are crap. E.g. The iJoy Tornado which was gifted to me. But, by researching on You Tube, trying out different builds, and after much trial and error, I found the build that works best for me. I now get a fantastic vape out of this tank, much better than the SM25! Having said that, sometimes I use the exact same build, and it will just start leaking! Weird, but that is the nature of the beast! The beauty of the vaping hobby. If it was so easy, it would not be worth it.

Hello @Waine , I was pleasantly surprised with the Tornado nano.Is yours the nano or full size?

Hi Kev Mac.

I was gifted the first Tornado at Xmas which I love. But I recently bought the Tornado Hero. Very satisfied indeed, except for the tiny screws on the bottom posts. I don't like smallish tanks so the Tornado Nono does not grab me.

Hi
I am using Rob's build. For dessert flavour should I use the same wattage (30W) or higher/lower. Or would another build work better for dessert flavours.
Current using hazeworks scream
Thanks

Hi
I am using Rob's build. For dessert flavour should I use the same wattage (30W) or higher/lower. Or would another build work better for dessert flavours.
Thanks

Hi @Hakhan
There is no perfect answer to your question because it depends on how it tastes to you with different coils and power settings.

I like a slightly crisper vape for example, so prefer the 26g coil to the 24g. The 24g gives me a denser "wetter" vape. I would think many would say that denser is tastier but it does depend on the juice and your taste. I also suspect that you would prefer the "denser" sort of vape for dessert juices. But this is all speculation, you need to try for yourself.

Try varying the wattage from say 20W up to say 45W in 5W increments and see where it works best for you.
Then maybe try a different coil and do the same. Its quite a lot of experimentation but after a day or two on a coil (after things have settled) I can normally decide if Im moving in the right direction or moving backwards for that juice. I typically get the right zone for a certain juice and then stick to those types of juices on that setup for a long time.

Happy birthday by the way and hope you have a great day

Hi
Thanks
I find that simple build unspaced coils 3mm ID around 0.5 Ohm and 30W, tight'ish wick, produce nice flavour on deserts. Gunk's up rather rapidly aswell. Worth a try.

Hi @Hakhan
There is no perfect answer to your question because it depends on how it tastes to you with different coils and power settings.

I like a slightly crisper vape for example, so prefer the 26g coil to the 24g. The 24g gives me a denser "wetter" vape. I would think many would say that denser is tastier but it does depend on the juice and your taste. I also suspect that you would prefer the "denser" sort of vape for dessert juices. But this is all speculation, you need to try for yourself.

Try varying the wattage from say 20W up to say 45W in 5W increments and see where it works best for you.
Then maybe try a different coil and do the same. Its quite a lot of experimentation but after a day or two on a coil (after things have settled) I can normally decide if Im moving in the right direction or moving backwards for that juice. I typically get the right zone for a certain juice and then stick to those types of juices on that setup for a long time.

Happy birthday by the way and hope you have a great day

Hi
Thanks for the feedback. Have been increasing the wattage but from 22 to 32 W it tasted the same. Gonna leave at 22W less juice and power usage.
Thanks for the BD wishes got the SM25 as birthday gift to myself . A bit of experimenting to hit the sweet spot.

So just for fun (and lots of frustration) tonight I thought I'd give this a try.
dc37146e6e1912c92248408429a391c6.jpg

It's a dual parallel spaced 26G SS316L 2.5mm ID coming in at 0.22 Ohm and running at 45W. Wicking is Cotton Bacon V2.

The objective was to pit the Serpent against my Crown V1 (the original flavour beast) in a head to head flavour battle.

Serpent takes the contest. Vapes a little hot at this resistance,but the taste is immence. I'll have to try again in the morning just to make sure.

I will say though, the airflow on the crown is unbelievable smooth compared to the SM25 even closed 3/4 of the way,no gurgle's or funny business.

Juice is Foggs Famous Sauce - At First Flight. A rich Vanilla custard with butter notes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back