1 Flavour, 2 Different Tanks, 2 Completely Different Flavours...

I have to agree with @Andre here... the old Sub Tank I absolutely hated! The new one is WAY better...

Guess i will be tank hunting again -_- i was so excited about my new setup.

Thanx all, appreciate the help

This wicking looks good, looks like the ends are lightly touching the deck as it should, and the juice channels are clear. Is this still giving you dry hits?

Maybe try a larger inner diameter for your coil. 2.5mm is about the minimum. Try 3 or even better 3.5mm. Do 1 less wrap because of the increased ID. Just remember that the piece of wick will need to be slightly thicker to fit the coil nice and snug. If it's too loose then there will be parts of the coil exposed to air, too tight and the wick gets choked.

Also, thin out the tails of the wick just a tad, this will force the juice to climb the wick instead of just sitting at the bottom looking perplexed.

Another thing to watch for is to be very gentle with the wick, never roll it too tightly or compress it in any way, we want light and fluffy.

This wicking looks good, looks like the ends are lightly touching the deck as it should, and the juice channels are clear. Is this still giving you dry hits?

Maybe try a larger inner diameter for your coil. 2.5mm is about the minimum. Try 3 or even better 3.5mm. Do 1 less wrap because of the increased ID. Just remember that the piece of wick will need to be slightly thicker to fit the coil nice and snug. If it's too loose then there will be parts of the coil exposed to air, too tight and the wick gets choked.

Also, thin out the tails of the wick just a tad, this will force the juice to climb the wick instead of just sitting at the bottom looking perplexed.

Another thing to watch for is to be very gentle with the wick, never roll it too tightly or compress it in any way, we want light and fluffy.
I have tried it now. No dry hit actually. But still very little flavour. Of it was a blind tasting I wouldn't be able to tell you what it was.

I can't make the wattage too tight as now I'm limited to airflow... The RBA on this specific tank seems to be restricyed.. I have a thread going for that issue as well.

Seems like I won't win

Sent from my LG-D722 using Tapatalk

I have tried it now. No dry hit actually. But still very little flavour. Of it was a blind tasting I wouldn't be able to tell you what it was.

I can't make the wattage too tight as now I'm limited to airflow... The RBA on this specific tank seems to be restricyed.. I have a thread going for that issue as well.

Seems like I won't win

Yeah, you have the original Subtank, the Subtank Mini that came after that is miles better, but still, yours should perform better than what you're describing.

Ok, here are some more suggestions:

1. Get the coil as close to the airflow hole as possible, not too close or it will short or leak.

2. Space the wraps of your coil. Instead of having your coil compressed rather leave an even space between the wraps, about the same amount of space as the wire is thick.

3. Practice, try different things and see what happens when you change something.

4. Don't lose hope, with enough of suggestion 3 you'll beat this thing ;)

Hi @Jebula999

Really pains me to see other guys have trouble with their wicking and their tanks. Hang in there. The advice from the members above is golden. Takes some time but you will get the hang of it.

Before you get rid of your subtank mini, maybe try one or two other juices as well. Maybe that one you are trying is particularly not tasty on your subtank. I have noticed some juices just taste better in different devices.

Not saying you shouldnt try other tanks, but just give it another shot or two with some different juice as well.

Hi @Jebula999

Really pains me to see other guys have trouble with their wicking and their tanks. Hang in there. The advice from the members above is golden. Takes some time but you will get the hang of it.

Before you get rid of your subtank mini, maybe try one or two other juices as well. Maybe that one you are trying is particularly not tasty on your subtank. I have noticed some juices just taste better in different devices.

Not saying you shouldnt try other tanks, but just give it another shot or two with some different juice as well.
No worries man. I will keep on trying. I'm not going to simply throw it away. I will now shop around for my 2nd tank with better knowledge.

As a test I'll hook everything up without a coil in it. And test how it pulls without anything in the way or blocking the pipes.

I'll keep trying things and post my progress. Its just trying different things with this tank is a mission. Its not a simple process. So it's getting a tad frustrating.

No worries man. I will keep on trying. I'm not going to simply throw it away. I will now shop around for my 2nd tank with better knowledge.

As a test I'll hook everything up without a coil in it. And test how it pulls without anything in the way or blocking the pipes.

I'll keep trying things and post my progress. Its just trying different things with this tank is a mission. Its not a simple process. So it's getting a tad frustrating.

Agreed @Jebula999 - i know the frustration

But when you find a good tank you like and it works well with a few juices you like, then you will be "in the groove"

But tanks can be frustrating sometimes...

The reason why your airflow feels restricted on the rba base vs the normal coil is that on the original Subtank the top cap section used with the rba base, the chimney/pipe has a thinner diameter than the chimney/pipe from the top cap used with the replaceable coils. The new Subtanks don't use the different top caps and therefore the airflow is the same using either the rba base or the replaceable coils.

I too didn't have much luck with my red/silver subtank mini - lots of dry hits, tried a lot of different approaches and then sold it.
Some people seem to make it work though!

Look at the Goblin Mini if you're after flavour. It has single and dual coil options but it's one of those that needs to be wicked just right. Same for the Billow v2 but it's dual coil only.

Definitely get the hang of building and wicking on a single coil tank before you try a dual coil tank, otherwise you're going to get even more frustrated than you are now.

Side note: they say patience is a virtue, it's not, it's a skill and must be learnt :)

Look at the Goblin Mini if you're after flavour. It has single and dual coil options but it's one of those that needs to be wicked just right. Same for the Billow v2 but it's dual coil only.

Definitely get the hang of building and wicking on a single coil tank before you try a dual coil tank, otherwise you're going to get even more frustrated than you are now.

Side note: they say patience is a virtue, it's not, it's a skill and must be learnt :)
Haha. I'm not frustrated from building coils or wicking. Its the part of having to clean everything and empty the juice inside and all that sort of thing. I enjoy the coil building and figuring out the wicking side of things

Haha. I'm not frustrated from building coils or wicking. Its the part of having to clean everything and empty the juice inside and all that sort of thing. I enjoy the coil building and figuring out the wicking side of things

If you dont mind dripping, you could get yourself a nice dripper and keep that for coil building and monstrous vaping at home

Then use your Ego one for out and about...

If you dont mind dripping, you could get yourself a nice dripper and keep that for coil building and monstrous vaping at home

Then use your Ego one for out and about...
It's tempting me.... I'm looking for a diff tank and dropped atm

ive never been a subtank fan. it just didnt work for me as flavour was muted and way too much heat for my liking.

However when i vape of a mates subtank then i enjoy it. its all about the build.
I work close to where vapemob belville is and would be happy to help you build a coil and wick if you are in the area.

In my opinion the subtank works better in the 0.3 to 0.5 ohm range going up to 35 watts.
I would try to build a 24g 2.5mm ID 7 - 8 wraps coil and run that at 35 watts.

ive never been a subtank fan. it just didnt work for me as flavour was muted and way too much heat for my liking.

However when i vape of a mates subtank then i enjoy it. its all about the build.
I work close to where vapemob belville is and would be happy to help you build a coil and wick if you are in the area.

In my opinion the subtank works better in the 0.3 to 0.5 ohm range going up to 35 watts.
I would try to build a 24g 2.5mm ID 7 - 8 wraps coil and run that at 35 watts.
Yeah I'll try some proper builds when I get an RTA or the RDA.

I can't do anything more now as I can't get enough airflow through the thing. So can't increase the wattage.

I'm going to hunt for vertical coils for this kangertech and give it one last chance.

Next time I go to vapemob I'll definitely give you a shout if I have the new parts. Always good to learn a thing or two

Yeah I'll try some proper builds when I get an RTA or the RDA.

I can't do anything more now as I can't get enough airflow through the thing. So can't increase the wattage.

I'm going to hunt for vertical coils for this kangertech and give it one last chance.

Next time I go to vapemob I'll definitely give you a shout if I have the new parts. Always good to learn a thing or two

I have not owned a tank since the days of the Aerotank Mega and my brother was recently down with his setup. The man only uses Subtanks and he has the atlantis, atlantis v2, kanger subtank (Original), Smok vct and the Delta 2. We both run Sig 150's and I was more into my Goblin 1.2. Let me tell you that out of all the tanks he had if you are after the flavour the Delta 2 out of those is the way to go. The atlantis 2 with the 1 ohm coil comes close but I was amazed by what that Delta 2 did.

I am not by any standard saying the Delta 2 is the be all of all tanks. I am just saying from my limited experience with tanks that its my personal flavour tank of note. I have tried all manor of builds on my Goblin and never come remotely close to that flavour. I just worry about buying one here because I am not sure how long the vendors will keep stocking the coils

I have not owned a tank since the days of the Aerotank Mega and my brother was recently down with his setup. The man only uses Subtanks and he has the atlantis, atlantis v2, kanger subtank (Original), Smok vct and the Delta 2. We both run Sig 150's and I was more into my Goblin 1.2. Let me tell you that out of all the tanks he had if you are after the flavour the Delta 2 out of those is the way to go. The atlantis 2 with the 1 ohm coil comes close but I was amazed by what that Delta 2 did.

I am not by any standard saying the Delta 2 is the be all of all tanks. I am just saying from my limited experience with tanks that its my personal flavour tank of note. I have tried all manor of builds on my Goblin and never come remotely close to that flavour. I just worry about buying one here because I am not sure how long the vendors will keep stocking the coils
Yeah man, i want to go off the premade coil part. I already own two EgoONE's, and they run coild and have great flavour.

I do like flavour, but im also a half hearted cloud chaser, i like cloud.

I'm going to keep to stick to my guns and go for an RTA and an RDA so i can have the best of both.

Thanx for the reply and input man, much appreciated.

Well as far as flavour and clouds go... I have not owned one yet but the hype around the Billow 2 is quiet high at the moment. I had the v1 and although it was the best tank I owned to date as far as flavour goes, it also leaked worse than the Titanic after the iceberg. I replaced that with the Goblin and although it didnt match by any standard I didnt have to worry about half my tank leaking all over my desk when I put it down.

Well as far as flavour and clouds go... I have not owned one yet but the hype around the Billow 2 is quiet high at the moment. I had the v1 and although it was the best tank I owned to date as far as flavour goes, it also leaked worse than the Titanic after the iceberg. I replaced that with the Goblin and although it didnt match by any standard I didnt have to worry about half my tank leaking all over my desk when I put it down.
I've read a few articles and reviews on it, apparently the leaking issue has been fixed and airflow has improved on the V2, I haven't heard any BAD words about it as of yet

I own a Delta 2 and have enjoyed it since day 1. Its an awesome atty for flavor and highly underrated. I wish they made a bell cap for it as you cannot see the juice level easily enough. The stock coils can also handle alot of power compared to other commercial tanks.

The vocc coils are really good, I mean really good. I vape them now at 30w and not one single dry hit I have been through 2 packs already. The old occ ones were bad. If u in northcliff il give you one to try u won't go wrong. I never had much luck with the rba section either. Worked well for abit then got dry hits
Sorry i didn't respond, im actually based in Cape Town, so can't take you up on the offer.

I can't seem to find a seller of the VOCC coils... where did you purchase your's from?

Thanx for all the input guys, waiting on my VOCC coils, will give them a try when they get here.

Would like to give a grand shout to @Marzuq for hooking me up with a Billow V2 today, i am extremely happy with it, cannot even force a dry hit and the thing tastes amazing! Thanks man for helping me out while i get started and all the advice you gave me!

Back