An Idea, And If, Some Assistance Required.

I like the idea :)

With my next change i will take down the details for you

@johan How about this, Just an idea?

Way to big and I build something similar with much higher accuracy last year. Our goal is a circuit of the following maximum dimensions:

Width: 15mm x Height: 30mm x Thickness: 3mm

The purpose is to indicate: (a) battery OK and (b) replace battery

40mm x 20mm x 4.7mm

OK Cool, Just thought I'l Share .

Attachments

• V-Meter 3.jpg
    V-Meter 3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 29
Quick question, why not just attach one of those inline voltmeters?

Yes you can do outside between 510 connector and RDA, but I just need something simple that lights up RED to alert me when my battery needs to be replaced.

Way to big and I build something similar with much higher accuracy last year. Our goal is a circuit of the following maximum dimensions:

Width: 15mm x Height: 30mm x Thickness: 3mm

The purpose is to indicate: (a) battery OK and (b) replace battery
I can do with only (b) if that would make a difference.

I'd be in for 2 please @johan, will take some measurements tomorrow. If I remember correctly 3.1-3.2V under load was the point at which the sx350 indicates low batt

I'd be in for 2 please @johan, will take some measurements tomorrow. If I remember correctly 3.1-3.2V under load was the point at which the sx350 indicates low batt

Yip my rough "in-the-small-head" calculation also guessed around the lower 3 point something volts.

Hi John, it is a great idea for a mechanical mod, I was just wondering if a micro buzzer will not work better in this case because the device will be in your face when you trigger it and will be noticeable even in bright sun. I do understand that a buzzer is more expensive than a led but just my 2cents.Great idea

And sorry last thought, a pot adjustable between 3,2 and 3.8 so every vaper can set it to his or her preference

Hi John, it is a great idea for a mechanical mod, I was just wondering if a micro buzzer will not work better in this case because the device will be in your face when you trigger it and will be noticeable even in bright sun. I do understand that a buzzer is more expensive than a led but just my 2cents.Great idea
And sorry last thought, a pot adjustable between 3,2 and 3.8 so every vaper can set it to his or her preference

Thanks for your comments, I do appreciate.

Micro Buzzer: Excellent idea, but I don't want to sit in church and stealth vape an me buzzer goes off :eek: - I've got a couple of micro buzzers, and they are ear piercing loud.

Pot: I've learned over the years to NOT provide the end-user with an adjustable pot (especially surface mount pots), they WILL break it.

For those that are interested I will make it an Open Source design and they can modify to hearts content with pots etc.

Fantastic idea @johan, so simple but will be really handy. What's the chance that this doohickey can be made with clear plastic in a disc shape, 22mm in diameter with the LEDs mounted inside to light up the edge? Would be really cool for mech tube mods. I'd be in for a few of those for sure!

when juiced up on that much "Oros" you would need something to light up the room:party: before you would pay any attention to it:--P.
warning light at 3.7 would be great.

Fantastic idea @johan, so simple but will be really handy. What's the chance that this doohickey can be made with clear plastic in a disc shape, 22mm in diameter with the LEDs mounted inside to light up the edge? Would be really cool for mech tube mods. I'd be in for a few of those for sure!

Thanks. The problem with any "new" design is the manufacturing costs and you really need quantities to make it affordable to the end user. Just a rough example to put it in perspective: A simple gadget (nothing fancy), mass produced, that ends up in the market for a retail price of say R75. The company that designed that gadget and paid the once off manufacturing costs of pcb (printed circuit boards), pick and place setup etc, would spend in excess of minimum R2000 just for a few proto types, and that exclude any design time, testing, labour etc.

I dont quite know how the numbers would stack up. I firmly believe its a fantastic idea, but I cant decide where the lower limit should be.
Unloaded, I would say 3.6v is a battery I would consider putting back on charge.
loaded? as mentioned above, it really does depend on the load. A 0.5ohm coil at 16w or so is 2.8volts. I tended to vape around there on a sig100. So if that is the lower range, and members here want 3.4v or 3.7v then it'll be tough to design something static to cater for all users. Perhaps a small variable resistor would do the job...vape till you arent happy anymore, then set the pot such that the light changes and that is your setting. Pot range for light to go from red to green would be somewhere from 2.8v to 3.6v. Dirty contacts arent an issue, but different cells will drop a different amount when fired, so...ja...a variable resistor pls so we can set our own. You get those small surface mount ones that you need an itty-bitty screwdriver to adjust.

edit: oh the shame..I didnt read page 2...so if what I say has been discussed pls pardon me...I didnt notice the pagination

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments, I do appreciate.

Micro Buzzer: Excellent idea, but I don't want to sit in church and stealth vape an me buzzer goes off :eek: - I've got a couple of micro buzzers, and they are ear piercing loud.

Pot: I've learned over the years to NOT provide the end-user with an adjustable pot (especially surface mount pots), they WILL break it.

For those that are interested I will make it an Open Source design and they can modify to hearts content with pots etc.

LOL, you vape in church? , no obviously not a high dB buzzer a more application appropriate one with a low dB. And it can be set to buzz for the first sec after PTT. And have some faith in your fellow vapers they can handle a pot they are DIY people.

Back