Anarchist Mod Ammonia and Salt Patina

Morning all, overnight drying done,and pre coffee I popped it into the oven to bake.
Sadly, I have buggered up the steps, I'm supposed to wet sand and then bake.
Baking has brought out greens where we once had blues.
e54508332cc5d114b976ef634e2283d5.jpg

Will see if wet sanding is still necessary after baking

Agreed @Arthster, well worth the effort.
Not a great fan of green,but it looks amazing with the copper and gold colours.
About 20 minutes of baking to go and we will see what we are working with

Fyi: Baked at 70'c for 45min

Morning all, overnight drying done,and pre coffee I popped it into the oven to bake.
Sadly, I have buggered up the steps, I'm supposed to wet sand and then bake.
Baking has brought out greens where we once had blues.
e54508332cc5d114b976ef634e2283d5.jpg

Will see if wet sanding is still necessary after baking

Wow, that looks spectacular :)

Unlike you, I'm not a fan of blue, but the green looks amazing...it now looks like a proper treasure found in a sunken wreck :D

Final bake and polish done, won't be wet sanding, finish is fantastic as is.
Green will take some getting used to, but I still love the finished product.
690063c35ba3251d815f78f87dae9766.jpg

08ecd3beca45f45f690b37566b1f9aec.jpg

Gorgeous...I even like the shiny bits, makes it look like you are busy cleaning it and that's the only parts you've gotten to ;)

On a side note, I'd be very careful walking past a fishtank with that thing...the fishies might want their treasure back :p

I like the green. But I'm a blue type of guy. Is it necessary to bake it once it's blue or can you just leave it as is sand and coat?

@Riddle,i agree to be honest,the blue was epic,much preferred it to the green,but as many have said,the green does look good.
the baking hardens the clear coat and removes any dull spots that may have occurred between coats.
I don't think it is absolutely necessary,but having used cheapy R40 clear coat,i thought i might give it as much chance of surviving me and my clumsiness as possible.
Next round i will be using enamel based clear coat,clear lacquer works,but doesn't give me the glassy depth im looking for.

I need to stop researching this.
now I need more copper/brass mods.so many recipes to try.
Good thing I go on leave in 2 days, so will have time a plenty.
Vinyl templates added beforehand elevate this to another level.

Well done @Necris

I like the photos by the sea!

@Riddle,i agree to be honest,the blue was epic,much preferred it to the green,but as many have said,the green does look good.
the baking hardens the clear coat and removes any dull spots that may have occurred between coats.
I don't think it is absolutely necessary,but having used cheapy R40 clear coat,i thought i might give it as much chance of surviving me and my clumsiness as possible.
Next round i will be using enamel based clear coat,clear lacquer works,but doesn't give me the glassy depth im looking for.

Well it still looks very good. Well done on the first attempt.

aaaand it continues,found a brass potjie i have been hoarding for years after losing the lid.
Method is somewhat different.
supersaturated the ammonia with salt this time,no sprinkling.
added 2 more paper towels to my chamber,sprinked salt on them.

this is where it gets interesting,i covered the paper towel with a layer of well rinsed and dried moss from my paving(clean paving and patina material)
that was sprayed with the salt+ammonia mix,the mod was covered in dijon mustard,placed in the bowl and again covered with moss and sprayed.

Lets see what we get,im hoping the moss texture goes over to the patina

Nice job dude. Looks great. and that blue color is awesome. Nicely done..

Thanks man, playing around with temp tattoos at the moment, scorpion just to see how it sticks etc...want to get some celtic bands and Crosses made up for future vinyl based projects
67d068ec5b29bc78d0ea59ee33ac0a3a.jpg

Hey very nice idea with the temp tattoo...

So what exactly made the blue go green. As when I do my patina Id like to make it green and blue together

Hey very nice idea with the temp tattoo...

So what exactly made the blue go green. As when I do my patina Id like to make it green and blue together
The tattoo is hardly what i would call my style,but i figure let me experiemnt with the tacky stick ons before i find the vinyl templates i seek,in fact i have already replaced it with a larger colour tattoo
The green came up when i baked the clear coat in the oven,until then it was solidly blue.
Blues and greens are generally created using salt and ammonia,but thats where the simplicity ends.
Various types of salt will give different colours.
I would think leaving blues to fume longer will create some green,but its a very much unpredictable process.
On pure copper sheeting it can be more or less straight forward,but once we start with clones,the alloys can be anything,hence we each get different results.
I noticed green when i took my second experiment out of the fume chamber this morning.
Had used a bit of colemans dijon mustard as well,will see if it retains the mix of colours after drying
A bit back i posted a link to a FB group patina mods,all questions will be answered in their FILES section

123cd0fa2a60047d24ce6a8751c4730f.jpg

Beware, this is somewhat addictive, just bought himalayan pink salt, mustard and another bottle of ammonia.
Lol...don't even have anything to patina

Last edited:
Got a Copper Nemesis I am going to patina. I will do it on the weekend when I have some time. Gonna take ur advice and give it a go

Let me summarise what I have learnt.

1)Clear ammonia is preferable over cloudy.
2)Different salt particle sizes have different effects, too big and it blocks patina from forming, likewise for too thickly crusted.

3)Rather than sprinkling salt, mix the salt with the ammonia until supersaturated, then decant into your spray bottle, stop when you notice particles going across so you don't block your spray nozzle.

4)Baking changes the colour, rather invest in a better clear coat than bake a cheap one.
(I have been offered a litre of poly clear coat, can't wait to start playing)

5)Use corks or rubber stoppers to block the ends, vase line the threads anyway.
Wood plugs swell and don't come out. I had to destroy them and remove in chunks.
This literally had me re cutting threads after a screwdriver slipped.

6)Mist hourly at most, shorter intervals wash too much patina off.adjust timing to local climate obviously.

7) don't rinse under water, lightly brush excess salt off in an acetone bath, nail polish remover with acetone also works and smells pretty too

Last edited:
Back