Anarchist Mod Ammonia and Salt Patina

Necris

Dedicated Vaper
LV

Awards
Evening All
after countless hours of polishing i have decided to try my hand at the aforementioned patina process.
Couldn't find clear ammonia,but cloudy looks to be working fine(smells horrible,grab a dust mask minimum)
Many thanks to JuicyJoes for the container ;)
I followed a basic ammonia and iodated table salt fume chamber tutorial.
you will need ammonia,table salt,220 grit sandpaper or finer,a plastic tub and a spray bottle.
INGREDIENTS.jpg

Sand the mod with 220 grit or finer,for a finer patina i would recommend a 600,but for a chunky salt patina im hoping 220 is as adequate as stated online.
After sanding i washed with soap and water and dried with vapertowel
(wearing gloves from here on out,no oils or dirt on the tube ot he patina will chip and look patchy)

I Placed 2 sheets of vapertowel at the bottom of the tub,sprayed with ammonia and closed the lid.
PLEASE BE SURE TO USE ADEQUATE PROTECTION,GLOVES,DUST MASK MINIMUM,AMMONIA IS BRUTAL!
I also opted to plug the ends of the tube rather than cover the threads with vaseline,im hoping this is enough as i under stand its a bit of a bugger to get it off em.

put a screw through each side of the tub to secure the wooden plugs.
The tube was misted with ammonia an salt sprinkled over,tub closed.
15 min

patina30min2.jpg patina15min1.jpg

1hr:
i packed on the salt with the next mist and left it for an hour(just to see what it would do)
patina2hours1.jpg

2Hrs:
Rinsed some of the salt off with next mist(spray bottle decided to go bi polar and alternate between direct jets and mist!)
heavy salt looks to bring out the golds and black/browns
patina2hours2.jpg

I once again sprayed it and added a couple of shakes of crushed sea salt to see if it does anything different,here it sits for the night.
patina4hours1.jpg

Will update in the morning,keep you guys interested ;)

I'm following this thread. Saw this on YouTube a while back. Was thinking of trying it myself on the nemesis. Final results should be interesting.

Did you remove the button part?
I did indeed, the stay as they are, stainless steel doesn't patina.but I think it will be an awesome contrast.

@johan, thank you, will check them out, have been hunting things to experiment with.why is there no bicarb in this house
@Riddle, follow along, if this fails I will document the redo and lessons learnt :)

Morning all,time for an update.
spent the night in the fume chamber and has now been set out to dry.
dropped an edge of the mod into the tub whilst removing the mod,and have eaten a chunk of patina away.
plus side is that its oxidizing a nice green in the sea air while drying
thinking slots in the tub instead of holes to allow for easier removal.

anyhow,some pics of the progress.
7:45 am:
patina overnight1.jpg

9:00AM:
drying1.jpg

i have a lense brush i am using to gently expose more copper to see if i can get more green before i rinse in acetone(actually citrus nail polish remover with acetone,lets hope it works)

will start prepping for clear coat process today,will need:
Clear lacquer,
2000 grit finishing sandpaper
a well ventilated area to spray(i use a box,outdoors in my courtyard,keeps dust etc... off while offering adequate ventilation.

personally,i HATE sanding clear coat as im a perfectionist,nothing but mirror is good enough,but i can never achieve it.
Knowing myself well enough by now,i know i wont leave it alone to dry once sprayed,so i dont even have sandpaper yet,will buy it tomorrow after the first coat is dried and luvly.
i also intend to oven bake the clear coated mod once completed

Last edited:
Okay,so i got impatient and rinsed...patina is seriously fragile,even the lense brush was a bit too rough once wet.
I still love the finished patina,just hope clear doesnt dull the blue too much,its exactly what i wanted
rinsed1.jpg

Seeing some green and white specks forming while drying after rinse,exposed copper is also darkening

Okay,so i got impatient and rinsed...patina is seriously fragile,even the lense brush was a bit too rough once wet.
I still love the finished patina,just hope clear doesnt dull the blue too much,its exactly what i wanted
View attachment 18648

Seeing some green and white specks forming while drying after rinse,exposed copper is also darkening
That's looking seriously cool!

Nicely done. That's a risky job and I can only applause you for taking a chance. Looks like it's paying off

That look so super sick @Necris

Amped to see the final product dude!!! :clap:

Many thanks guys, was certainly a steep learning curve thus far, and one far from over.

Clear is really making colours pop, loving it.
Amazing day today so paint us drying quick quick.

0958530ca6a662b1a0ef351cfd7f885f.jpg

KInda like the distressed look i gt from the patchy thick salt,but my next attempt will incorporate a vinyl,
hoping for something like this
PROPS TO DUSTIN SHAW,THIS ISNT MINE!
(found it via a FB group called patina mods)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1400970210164174/
DUSTIN SHAW PATINA.jpg

Last edited:
Clear coat done and now to cure until tomorrow when I wet sand and do final coat.
2d590b01ddf55dee417be7f78ed2009e.jpg

83b4eed194b45dda916bbb44d551b6ff.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a mil guys,cant wait to see after wet sand,hopefully it will show all the depth i intended it to.
photo's dont do it justice,the blue is prevalent but under the blue are rich copper,gold and brown swirls

Well done man, that looks so cool.

via iphone

Well done man. Waiting to see end result but it already looks beautiful.

Absolutely stunning @Necris . The risk pays off indeed. This is a custom job to be proud of

Back