thinking about salt nic ... best idea

Angelus

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Good day and season greetings to all

For awhile now I have been thinking to switch to nic salts, but then I thought ok well I only got drippers sooooo

What setup exactly is for salt nic ?
shall I just buy a Berserker and put it on my current regulated mod ?
or do I have to look at the AIO device's ?

My current setup is the Juggerknot v2 and the Thelema dna 250c. All my other atties are dead rabbits.

The reasoning for the change to salt nic is, I have been a DIY for a long long time and lately I just feel that I'm vaping more and more which is making my juice finish sooner , so I cant really plan ahead for spending/ordering my next batch of product.

anyway ... I need to do something

You can't vape Nic Salts on DL setups so you need to invest in a pod system or a decent MTL RTA. But then why don't you just Nic up your juice since you're already into DIY maybe just increase the nic strength by 1 or 2 mg and see?

I agree with @Grand Guru - up the normal Nic content a bit and see how that goes

issue with Nic salts the way I see it is it takes away much of the throat hit so enables you to go much higher on nic
so it’s very possible and even likely that you’d get more used to (and dependent on) a much higher Nic content
which I think is not a good thing generally

Good day and season greetings to all

For awhile now I have been thinking to switch to nic salts, but then I thought ok well I only got drippers sooooo

What setup exactly is for salt nic ?
shall I just buy a Berserker and put it on my current regulated mod ?
or do I have to look at the AIO device's ?

My current setup is the Juggerknot v2 and the Thelema dna 250c. All my other atties are dead rabbits.

The reasoning for the change to salt nic is, I have been a DIY for a long long time and lately I just feel that I'm vaping more and more which is making my juice finish sooner , so I cant really plan ahead for spending/ordering my next batch of product.

anyway ... I need to do something
OK so I'm going to tell you what I do.
I still have a nic issue where I miss it if I don't have it and throat hit is still a thing for me. I got a DL setup with MTL juice (freebase) now at 12mg. I keep it under 20w and my sweetspot is around 15-17w.
When I wake up in the morning that 15-17w is too high so I set it @5w but, as the day progress it feels that it's too low and I increase my wattage. The issue with this is when I get to that 20w I lock the wattage because I have had bad experience vaping like this before and ending up vaping 12mg juice @ 50w isn't a great experience.
I however have a few pods I carry with me all day everyday and the DL setup is my secondary setup.
Still that's what I do. Now you don't have to do it this way, but if you do, you need to be carefull because you could hit a silver at any time.
I hope this helps you.
As for the nic salts, for me it was and is still addictive so when I use it I don't use it everyday. There are times though that it's the only MTL juice I can find, but I don't make a habit out of buying it.

You can't vape Nic Salts on DL setups so you need to invest in a pod system or a decent MTL RTA. But then why don't you just Nic up your juice since you're already into DIY maybe just increase the nic strength by 1 or 2 mg and see?
Technically you can. As long as you keep the wattage below 25W then all good. If however you vape at higher than 25W then it's a no-go

If you have been using VG Nic, change to PG Nic. I make my wife 18mg MTL juice that she vapes on 0.2ohm at 35-40W tight RDL... kicks like a donkey on steroids.

If you have been using VG Nic, change to PG Nic. I make my wife 18mg MTL juice that she vapes on 0.2ohm at 35-40W tight RDL... kicks like a donkey on steroids.
I'd suggest bumping up the PG beyond 50:50 if it's throat hit you're after ... I've managed to bring my nicotine down by bumping PG up ... it does however make wicking more challenging, specifically in the juice ports.

Wrt power levels ... check out this post, (only cos' I'm too lazy to retype it) ;)

You know, That's the weird part. I've done that too but it's hard to get down to lower nic once your used to it.

wow alot of information ... thanks alot guys

usually i make 0.2ohm coil and vape at about 30w with 3mg nic. in the past i have made 6 8 and then 9, but didnt really feel any different. what i'm reading here though sounds like i been doing it wrong

I have tried increasing the nic, at first I can feel that it is stronger but after awhile I get used to it. But it doesnt burn my throat or anything like that.

I agree with @Grand Guru - up the normal Nic content a bit and see how that goes

issue with Nic salts the way I see it is it takes away much of the throat hit so enables you to go much higher on nic
so it’s very possible and even likely that you’d get more used to (and dependent on) a much higher Nic content
which I think is not a good thing generally

yes Silver that does make sense ... getting dependent on a higher nic with nic salt doesnt seen to be a good idea. better off trying the other suggestions ;-)

OK so I'm going to tell you what I do.
I still have a nic issue where I miss it if I don't have it and throat hit is still a thing for me. I got a DL setup with MTL juice (freebase) now at 12mg. I keep it under 20w and my sweetspot is around 15-17w.
When I wake up in the morning that 15-17w is too high so I set it @5w but, as the day progress it feels that it's too low and I increase my wattage. The issue with this is when I get to that 20w I lock the wattage because I have had bad experience vaping like this before and ending up vaping 12mg juice @ 50w isn't a great experience.
I however have a few pods I carry with me all day everyday and the DL setup is my secondary setup.
Still that's what I do. Now you don't have to do it this way, but if you do, you need to be carefull because you could hit a silver at any time.
I hope this helps you.
As for the nic salts, for me it was and is still addictive so when I use it I don't use it everyday. There are times though that it's the only MTL juice I can find, but I don't make a habit out of buying it.

well that is an insight thank you. I'm just not experienced with a MTL in a DL setup. I'm heard that somehow the two arent supposed to go together?

Technically you can. As long as you keep the wattage below 25W then all good. If however you vape at higher than 25W then it's a no-go

ok I vape at 30w at the moment but I dont mind going down a few

I use PG nic ... I think I need to look up on the difference in DL and MTL DIY juice because I'm getting the impression now that there is a difference ... ie learning curve coming. So your wife use's a DL setup just with a tight draw drip tip ?

I'd suggest bumping up the PG beyond 50:50 if it's throat hit you're after ... I've managed to bring my nicotine down by bumping PG up ... it does however make wicking more challenging, specifically in the juice ports.

Wrt power levels ... check out this post, (only cos' I'm too lazy to retype it) ;)

my mix is 30pg/70vg , after the education of MTL that may change though

So your wife use's a DL setup just with a tight draw drip tip ?

She uses the Voopoo PnP pod with the SMRT coil inside. Airflow set to smallest.

@Intuthu Kagesi will be able to teach you the ways of airflow, but in short the smaller driptip combined with smaller airflow, lower power and higher ohms will give you a MTL vape that balances performance with airflow and flavor. Don't try 3mg on MTL thinking you will get a better hit from it. You will need to adjust your pg/vg/nic ratios accordingly.

Nothing like a good MTL learning curve to keep the vape juices flowing.

@Angelus ... Why don't we go back to your first post ...

Your objective is to cut back your juice consumption, so allow me to make a few assumptions ...
Lets assume you're vaping with 3mg freebase and; that you're vaping for the nic hit and flavour, (the DIY experts here should be able to guide you on how to increase your juice flavour as volume comes down), however with respect the nic part ... If you wish to decrease your consumption four fold, then logically your nic % is going to have to go up four fold, so ... around 12mg is where you should be.

Logically too ... your airflow, (assuming a saturated vape), is also going to shrink four fold, so your drip tip and incoming airways are also going to have to shrink four fold ... as to your chamber size, that will have to go down to to roughly half the size, (1/root 4), so clearly this is MTL / RDL territory.

You haven't told us your preferences on flavour(s) and or throat hit as yet, so there's a lot of assumption going on here, and some of the advice you're going to be offered is going to be contradictory because of it ... so ... maybe where we should start is ... Your preferences, and then add that to where you wish to go ... anyhooo ...

O ... and on the subject of contradictions ... I would prefer to see you stay with Freebase,as apposed Salts ;)

Last edited:
Sorry about the multiple edits too ... Blimming WhatsApp requires a Ctrl Enter as a LF, and this forum not ... it interprets Ctrl-Enter as "OK kewl, I'm done, you can post it now", sooooooooo ... I have to edit my posts roughly as many times as there are paragraphs :rolleyes:

@Angelus ... Why don't we go back to your first post ...

Your objective is to cut back your juice consumption, so allow me to make a few assumptions ...
Lets assume you're vaping with 3mg freebase and; that you're vaping for the nic hit and flavour, (the DIY experts here should be able to guide you on how to increase your juice flavour as volume comes down), however with respect the nic part ... If you wish to decrease your consumption four fold, then logically your nic % is going to have to go up four fold, so ... around 12mg is where you should be.

Logically too ... your airflow, (assuming a saturated vape), is also going to shrink four fold, so your drip tip and incoming airways are also going to have to shrink four fold ... as to your chamber size, that will have to go down to to roughly half the size, (1/root 4), so clearly this is MTL / RDL territory.

You haven't told us your preferences on flavour(s) and or throat hit as yet, so there's a lot of assumption going on here, and some of the advice you're going to be offered is going to be contradictory because of it ... so ... maybe where we should start is ... Your preferences, and then add that to where you wish to go ... anyhooo ...

O ... and on the subject of contradictions ... I would prefer to see you stay with Freebase,as apposed Salts ;)
omw lol ok I'll try answer the best I can

My logic is the more nic then the less use because the higher nic will satisfy for longer, resulting in less juice consumption ... um if that makes sense

My juice, a 100ml bottle would last me 2weeks but now since I'm using recipes from blackflavour they lasting about a week lol.
I'm used to full open airflow and everything is smooth very easy to vape and great flavour. My prefered flavours are deserts and tabacco's. For throat hit I'm looking for more of a hit, I'm tired of the eperience I'm getting where I'm always looking for more and not satisfied. To be honest I have been vaping the way I'm for a long long time and it just feels like air now.

so then adjusting to your suggestion
1. change juice to 12mg
2. adjust juice for flavour and nic hit
3. change to MTL atty

Great questions from @Intuthu Kagesi and good responses @Angelus

based on your comments, I would agree, give MTL a go
up the Nic (freebase) to about 12mg and see how it goes

i was a MTL and DL vaper for years - my DL setups went through a lot of juice
since I converted to MTL only about 2/3yrs ago with higher Nic (and a bit of menthol added) I get more pleasure from the throat hit and I vape a lot less. Now I’m vaping about 6ml a day - was probably double that when I was also doing DL

PS - last few yrs there’s been a lot more great MTL atties. I can recommend the Rose, Expro V4, Arbiter MTL , Kayfun V3 Mini (pretty much my current MTL workhorses) but there are plenty other good options. My tanks are older. You may have to try a few newer options before you find what you like.

My logic is the more nic then the less use because the higher nic will satisfy for longer, resulting in less juice consumption ... um if that makes sense

My juice, a 100ml bottle would last me 2weeks but now since I'm using recipes from blackflavour they lasting about a week lol.
I'm used to full open airflow and everything is smooth very easy to vape and great flavour. My prefered flavours are deserts and tabacco's. For throat hit I'm looking for more of a hit, I'm tired of the eperience I'm getting where I'm always looking for more and not satisfied. To be honest I have been vaping the way I'm for a long long time and it just feels like air now.

1. change juice to 12mg
3. change to MTL atty
Ya got it ... ;)
I would suggest a second hand loose MTL / RDL atty, (check https://www.ecigssa.co.za/forums/for-sale/ ), only because you're testing the water here ... Something like the Arbiter MTL may be a good start, as they fill that role very nicely.
Increasing your nic to 12mg/ml
Adjusting your VG : PG ratios bias towards PG, (VG offers bigger clouds, and PG more throat hit, and anecdotally more flavour), with typical MTL juice at 50:50, as apposed typical DL juice at 80:20, and finally;
Possibly adding a couple of drops of Menthol for added throat hit if required, as Silver suggested

Last edited:

1. change juice to 12mg
3. change to MTL atty
Why don't you go dual? So keep your 3mg juices with your open aired DL configuration and then have a pod/MTL system on hand for times when you feel you need a greater nicotine hit. That works very well for my wife at the moment. She's actually running 4 setups, 2 x DL (1 dessert and 1 fruit) and then two pod/MTL setups (different fruity flavours). She rotates between the setups depending on how much nic she's craving.

Thing is, desserts don't do all that well on MTL. Don't get me wrong, there are ones which are good, but a lot of them leave you going 'meh' as a dessert flavour shines best on a DL setup with dual coil and lots of watts. This is my personal opinion and I am sure there are others which may argue with me on this (e.g. @Intuthu Kagesi but he's just weird, lol).

Tobaccos run well on MTL, so there's a possible idea. Run your tobaccos on a MTL system but keep your DL for the desserts.

Then as for adjustments/levels on flavours based on nic levels. I have three to four adjustments for fruits, depending on the amount of nic added. For desserts it's more like five to six. The higher you go on desserts, the more you need to add flavour. Tobaccos are like fruits, more lenient, so also about 3-4 adjustments.

Why don't you go dual? So keep your 3mg juices with your open aired DL configuration and then have a pod/MTL system on hand for times when you feel you need a greater nicotine hit. That works very well for my wife at the moment. She's actually running 4 setups, 2 x DL (1 dessert and 1 fruit) and then two pod/MTL setups (different fruity flavours). She rotates between the setups depending on how much nic she's craving.

Thing is, desserts don't do all that well on MTL. Don't get me wrong, there are ones which are good, but a lot of them leave you going 'meh' as a dessert flavour shines best on a DL setup with dual coil and lots of watts. This is my personal opinion and I am sure there are others which may argue with me on this (e.g. @Intuthu Kagesi but he's just weird, lol).

Tobaccos run well on MTL, so there's a possible idea. Run your tobaccos on a MTL system but keep your DL for the desserts.

Then as for adjustments/levels on flavours based on nic levels. I have three to four adjustments for fruits, depending on the amount of nic added. For desserts it's more like five to six. The higher you go on desserts, the more you need to add flavour. Tobaccos are like fruits, more lenient, so also about 3-4 adjustments.
I agree with most of that ... most especially with the erm ... wierd part :-D buuuuuuuuut ... I find YOUR deserts on RDL/MTL very yummy, (my chewed driptips are testimony to this) :--P

I agree with most of that ... most especially with the erm ... wierd part :-D buuuuuuuuut ... I find YOUR deserts on RDL/MTL very yummy, (my chewed driptips are testimony to this) :--P
Brilliant I like these ideas :cool:

What rdl/mtl setups would be a good idea?
I don’t like having to buy coils I much prefer building my own coils, so I don’t want to go buy coils for the setup every so often.

Having desert and tobacco on hand sounds sooooo good

What rdl/mtl setups would be a good idea?
Not the foggiest idea... I don't MTL. The most I do is almost RDL, but not complete RDL (Dead Rabbit R with 1/3 of the air intake open).

agree with what @ivc_mixer said
add a good rebuildable MTL atty to your vape fleet but keep the DL going
tobaccoes in MTL mode are tops

hmmmm I wonder if the site specials are the same as at the store

but now I got to hunt for a lil mod lol .... my other regulated mods are broken/faulty and then I just got hexohms and arctic's haha
I do indeed, an Arbiter Solo, but its not listed yet.
A disadvantage of being bald I guess, everybody can see what you're thinking.
:)

is it a stainless steel one ?

Back