And so it was writ...

Puns and one-liners

I can give you the cause of anaphylactic shock in a nutshell. —Gary Delaney, comedian

To be or not to be a horse rider, that is equestrian. —Mark Simmons, comedian

Jail and prison aren't synonyms. According to Merriam- Webster :

"Jail and prison are often used interchangeably as places of confinement. If you want to be specific jail can be used to describe a place for those awaiting trial or held for minor crimes, whereas prison describes a place for convicted criminals of serious crimes."

How's that for being pedantic?

@Puff the Magic Dragon arrives at the pearly gates and knocks....

"WHO IS IT?" shouts St Peter from inside...

"It is I!" returns Puff...

"Dammit, not another pedantic ECIGSSA forumite!!!" shouts St Peter...

In keeping with my pedantic theme.

@Grand Guru asked people "What number do you see?"

@Raindance , @ARYANTO , @Munro31 etc were all correct in that they replied accurately to your question. They reported the number that they saw. They may have seen the incorrect number but they still answered the question correctly by reporting the number that they saw.:)

Jail and prison aren't synonyms. According to Merriam- Webster :

"Jail and prison are often used interchangeably as places of confinement. If you want to be specific jail can be used to describe a place for those awaiting trial or held for minor crimes, whereas prison describes a place for convicted criminals of serious crimes."

How's that for being pedantic?
This is way more pedantic ...
The American Police Administration Handbook defines? it as follows;
"In the US, jails are typically under the authority of the County or the Sheriff of said County, and they are used to hold those awaiting trial, sentencing, or those serving a sentence of 364 days or fewer. Prisons on the other hand fall under the Department of Corrections, and whilst the durational aspect is the easiest to illustrate of the differences between jail and prison, it isn't necessarily a definitive definition." :giggle:

Back