Another casualty

• Thread starter Spyro
  • Start date
S

Spyro

I was told this was a local incident. SA.

Thought I'd share to raise awareness of the dangers of mech mods and how important it is to be fully educated before buying one. They are wonderful things but they demand the highest respect.

Be safe folks

IMG-20180621-WA0015.jpg IMG-20180621-WA0016.jpg IMG-20180621-WA0017.jpg IMG-20180621-WA0018.jpg

Caught my attention because I own this device.

Also interested in what people think of the lawsuit and what may happen? The lad allegedly claims that he was given no warning or advice when he purchased the mod.

Left hand drive car, not local.

"Please donate" "pray for lawsuit" sounds like "McDonalds sold me the hot coffee I asked for without warning me..."

Enough said.

Regards

Looks like you're right! I didn't notice the car - just saw the cell c symbol although now I'm realising that it's because of a screenshot. Well done detective.

Caught my attention because I own this device.

Also interested in what people think of the lawsuit and what may happen? The lad allegedly claims that he was given no warning or advice when he purchased the mod.
I really feel like vape shops should maybe implement a quick written test or quiz before selling unregulated devices. That way they can cover themselves for situations like this.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

"If he had been in the car with me and the baby it could have caused a wreck and killed us all"

If he had vaped with a baby in the car, he would have been a right totkop and liable to a fine and/or prison time depending on the country. The fact that that fear exists means that it's a common occurrence. I'll just leave that there for now.

There are a million things we use daily that could hurt or kill us if used carelessly. Vapes are just another item on that list in my opinion and far from the top of it. I wouldn't single it out over the rest. I've used mechs and regulated devices, loads of different brands and types of batteries and built coils from mtl single coils to fat super subohm cloud machines, and never had so much as a close call (that I'm aware of, touch wood), because I educate myself on the parameters of a safe experience and then keep an eye on them as I go.

Don't be dof. Be lekker.

Left hand drive car, not local.

"Please donate" "pray for lawsuit" sounds like "McDonalds sold me the hot coffee I asked for without warning me..."

Enough said.

Regards
I was thinking the exact same thing

I really feel like vape shops should maybe implement a quick written test or quiz before selling unregulated devices. That way they can cover themselves for situations like this.

Furthermore, the customer should sign that they understand the dangers involved. But who knows where he bought this? Perhaps not from a reputable vendor. We had a discussion on the forum a few months ago, where a new vaper (in South Africa) was sold a mech by some little corner-cafe type shop.

Furthermore, the customer should sign that they understand the dangers involved. But who knows where he bought this? Perhaps not from a reputable vendor. We had a discussion on the forum a few months ago, where a new vaper (in South Africa) was sold a mech by some little corner-cafe type shop.
There is always going to be those people that thinks " oh let me get this tube one because it's cheaper ". I am curious to see if that mech mod was authentic. I am sure vgod includes warning cards

Should he need to be? Isn't it easier to pitch safety at a design/manufacturer level than either a retail or customer level? When you buy a microwave oven, the store doesn't need to give you a safety lesson. You don't need to know Ohm's Law to use it. The safety features are built in at the factory.

There is one manufacturer for a product, potentially thousands of stores, potentially millions of customers. Just by sheer logistics, getting the sole manufacturer to implement safety is a lot easier than relying on the thousands of stores or millions of customers.

Should he need to be? Isn't it easier to pitch safety at a design/manufacturer level than either a retail or customer level? When you buy a microwave oven, the store doesn't need to give you a safety lesson. You don't need to know Ohm's Law to use it. The safety features are built in at the factory.

There is one manufacturer for a product, potentially thousands of stores, potentially millions of customers. Just by sheer logistics, getting the sole manufacturer to implement safety is a lot easier than relying on the thousands of stores or millions of customers.
Agreed.

JUUL has just been valued at $10 billion. A big part of that is that it's an idiot-proof device. You can't blow your lips off with it. Even a kid who knows nothing can use it effectively. Now they are even adding dry-hit safety into pods. If the wicks aren't saturated, it won't fire. It's the way that all devices will go. There will still be a place for knowledgeable enthusiasts who want mechs. But for manufacturers who want mass-appeal market share, the device has to be as safe and simple as possible. That is how JUUL designed theirs and look at the result.

The thing that grates me around this whole FB post is this sentence.

"IF YOU VAPE PLEASE RECONSIDER"
Screenshot_20180623-104359_Opera.jpg

RECONSIDER what? Rather turn to tobacco?
How's about they say- if you vape please make sure you understand how your device works.

For someone to put up a statement like that you can see clearly they have no idea about Mechs and safety.

Then the go on to say "a bit higher it would of taken his eye out or lower would have cut the jugular in his neck" really....really WTF! , the cut is hardly even reaching the bottom of his nose and not even catching hes bottom lip .

Just a little bit over exaggerated. Just a little...

Then they go on to say please donate money....
Ok now I'm sold, this must be legit.

If you ask me these folks are just looking for a pay day end of story.

Last edited:
It may be an unpopular opinion, but I do not think any blame should ever be put on consumers when these things happen.
If a company produces something to be used by the public, with no requirements from the consumer's side except for age, these things should not happen. I understand the argument that we should know about battery safety and all that, but do we need to understand how the combustion engine works to operate a car? What do we do when Ford Kuga's burn down? Do we ask the owners why they did not check everything to make sure there are no shorts anywhere or whatever the cause may be?

Point is vaping is not as safe as we may think, and until it is we can expect more and more legislation which we so despise. And I honestly believe it would be a good thing. Many manufacturers are not taking steps to ensure their products are as safe as it can be and keep putting the blame on their customers. So if legislation will ensure that we get a good vape, along with a safe product, without having to learn physics it is nothing but good in my book.

I think the vape industry should stop asking "How could the user prevent this?" and start asking "How do we produce products to keep our users safe?".
Or we need to all attend a course on vape safety and get a license to vape...

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I do not think any blame should ever be put on consumers when these things happen.
If a company produces something to be used by the public, with no requirements from the consumer's side except for age, these things should not happen. I understand the argument that we should know about battery safety and all that, but do we need to understand how the combustion engine works to operate a car? What do we do when Ford Kuga's burn down? Do we ask the owners why they did not check everything to make sure there are no shorts anywhere or whatever the cause may be?

Point is vaping is not as safe as we may think, and until it is we can expect more and more legislation which we so despise. And I honestly believe it would be a good thing. Many manufacturers are not taking steps to ensure their products are as safe as it can be and keep putting the blame on their customers. So if legislation will ensure that we get a good vape, along with a safe product, without having to learn physics it is nothing but good in my book.

I think the vape industry should stop asking "How could the user prevent this?" and start asking "How do we produce products to keep our users safe?".

The problem with this is that the majority of devices are safe, they are made with safety measures (VW boards/mosfet/fuse-able links) in place to stop you from hurting yourself. He was using a mechanical device, in which the user is the safety mechanism, and when buying a mechanical device there are usually warnings on the packaging that state the device is for advanced users. No amount of regulation will stop user error, all it will do is prevent us from vaping at all.

Ok so 1 of 3 things happened here:

1: Either he built too low and took one too many puffs, sending the battery into thermal runaway; or

2: He had a torn battery wrap, inserted the battery positive down and fired; or

3: He was using an RTA/RDA with a non-protruding 510.

All three of these things are user error, but they still give a bad name to vaping. Its an uphill battle we're fighting here guys...

I hear exactly what you are saying and I am all for safety and products being as safe as possible.

But their is a flaw in your argument. All products one buys are built safe but they still don't prevent user error .

In the car example given,
The Ford Kuga incident were because of faulty causes so one cannot use it in this case.

But let's rather use this as a example:
We don't need to know how a combustible engine works to operate a car, but one does require to know how to operate a car in order to drive it. Same as a Mech.
If no one tells you that when you need to take a 90 degree corner you need to slow down before the corner and you take it at 120km/h who is at fault the Manufacturer or the user ?

Another example-
Appliances are made to be user safe but if you take a iron and burn yourself by accident because you forgot it was on who is at fault the Manufacturer or the user?

Unfortunately accidents happen in our everyday lives and sometimes they are user error, but manufacturers can't take all the blame for this as shown in my examples above.

End of day we need to know how to operate everything within their respective limits be it vaping or driving or operating a iron.

That is a very unrealistic comparison. Having a car licence and being able to drive means 2 x diffrent things. Also having driven a front wheel drive Chev spark, and buying an BMW M5 thinking well it is a car should dish up some surprises. Who is at fault? BMW?
No mate if you buy a product and use it you should be able to take responsibility and accountability for it.
I strongly belief the subject of Mech mods has been covered sufficiently accross all platforms. No pill or warning can help for common sense.

I have heard that this same post has made its rounds for some time now, and gets linked to scamming for money. But I cannot confirm.

Be safe and always use your common sense. Remember accidents happen.

I hear exactly what you are saying and I am all for safety and products being as safe as possible.

But their is a flaw in your argument. All products one buys are built safe but they still don't prevent user error .

In the car example given,
The Ford Kuga incident were because of faulty causes so one cannot use it in this case.

But let's rather use this as a example:
We don't need to know how a combustible engine works to operate a car, but one does require to know how to operate a car in order to drive it. Same as a Mech.
If no one tells you that when you need to take a 90 degree corner you need to slow down before the corner and you take it at 120km/h who is at fault the Manufacturer or the user ?

Another example-
Appliances are made to be user safe but if you take a iron and burn yourself by accident because you forgot it was on who is at fault the Manufacturer or the user?

Unfortunately accidents happen in our everyday lives and sometimes they are user error, but manufacturers can't take all the blame for this as shown in my examples above.

End of day we need to know how to operate everything within their respective limits be it vaping or driving or operating a iron.
C4D, I am all for taking responsibility for ones own but we have a bit of a problem when it comes to vaping. In most cases the dangers associated with a device are obvious. The iron, toaster, kettle represent dangers any person of average intelligence can predict and safeguard against. The dangers associated with lithium batteries are however not that obvious and as ordinary consumer batteries are known to pose little if any risk, people assume the same is the case with the high powered cells we use.

The obvious solution would be for battery manufacturers to build safeguards into the cells themselves. Although it may be a case of manufacturers just being all to happy to have a market to dispose of their "second class" produce and not really being bothered to make protected cells for our specific needs.

Despite safety warnings being included in product packaging, accidents still happen. We all know the saying "When all else fails, read the manual." and even if read, consumers are so desensitized to warning messages that it seldom makes the impact it should. This leaves us with two options. As with the vehicle example you mentioned, testing and licencing users. The other is only allowing the sale of safe cells and/or systems. The latter being the obvious choice and, when considered from the correct perspective, a win win situation for all concerned.

And that's about all that comes to mind at this time.

Regards

All this issues are because of the lithium batteries that are being used. I pray everyday that the technology in batteries improves and give us better safety but with the same or better power density.
At the moment my vision for a idiot proof mech device is one with a zinc carbon battery.

Back