Are you a Lung-hitter or Mouth-to-lung vaper?

What is your vaping draw style?

• Mouth-to-lung

Votes: 41 22.5%
  • Lung-hitter

Votes: 73 40.1%
  • Both - but more mouth-to-lung

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • Both - but more lung-hitter

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Both - equally

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters
Lung hitter 24/7
Was only mouth-to-lung for the first two or three months until I drilled out my first dripper's air holes....hehehe
After that, I couldn't use the kayfun anymore and put it away for good. Only large air holes for me now.

I do it straight lung, even though i was a smoker, i also smoked allot of hub with my GF, so thats where i got used to the straight to lung. If i try and do a mouth to lung i normally caugh a bit. I do straight to lung on a 0.5 ohm coil and 15 W with 6Mg nicotine.

I have only one mod and three clearo tanks so it's both. I lung hit with my iStick 30 / Lemo 2 at 12W and a 0.6ohm coil. I'm waiting for the arrival of Fastech mail which will have a clone deringer and then maybe more lung hits will take place.

50/50 depends on my mood:)
I had a brief daytime brain vacation and when I came around I found myself staring at your avatar. The first thing that occurred to me was a chocolate starfish. I cant be the only one.

So interesting, after all the votes, its pretty evenly distributed between the two styles

If you add mouth to lung and more mouth to lung
And you add lung hit and more lung hit
Then the results are 59 votes to 57 votes - very close indeed

Mouth to lungs -> then depending on the mood, it will depend on how long I feel like holding the vape :D light-headedness beats analogue head rush

I used to be mouth to lung, but this time around I just find it easier to go direct to the lung haha

Bit of a blast from the past but I am resurrecting this thread for a reason.

I would like to further explore the merits of both styles of vaping.

Some folk only do lung hits. They want big clouds and I see that most of the modern gear coming out is aimed toward this area.
But some still do mouth to lung
And some do both.

I have found that the sensation of a mouth to lung is very different to that of a lung hit. I do like them both for various reasons, occasions and juices.

I have found mouth to lung to be the best:
  • First thing in the morning - my lungs simply refuse big lung hits after i have just woken up. Just a gentle tooting with a cup of coffee.
  • When I want concentrated flavour (eg on my RM2)
  • When I want a pleasing throat punch with a strong 18mg tobacco juice
  • When stealth vaping or trying to vape discreetly without attracting too much attention
I find lung hits particularly pleasing:
  • Later in the day, especially on fruity menthols, where on longer drags I get that lovely menthol burn, which i dont get on mouth to lung
  • Sometimes when I just feel i need a BIG vape - then a lung hit is very satisfying
  • When in the company of other vapers and one feels like blowing bigger clouds
What I have noticed is that the flavour and throat hit sensation is very different with a lung hit versus mouth to lung.

Flavour
I find a good mouth to lung set up (eg my Reo/RM2) so much more concentrated flavour-wise. I can taste each flavour in there. Its dense and thick. The texture comes through. On a lung hit i find the flavour is more diluted. Sometimes it is made up for by more volume of vapour but most often not. The flavour is often lacking for me. On some juices, the flavour of a lung hit is just perfect when "diluted with more air" but on others i find it is not so good.

Throat hit
This is very interesting. I find that a good mouth to lung setup with the right strength juice knocks me in the back of the throat asif it were a punch. Very pleasing if you like "concentrated" throat hit. I find on a lung hit the throat hit is more of a slower accumulated thing. Not sharp and punchy but just a "continuous rubbing". If the juice is too strong i find it very unpleasant in a lung hit. The throat hit I crave is more that sharp short punch so for me nothing beats a strong tobacco set up as a good mouth to lung vape.

I certainly do both and while i was more of a mouth to lunger, i would say I am now more equal these days between the two styles. Both have their place in my vaping at the moment.

My only problem is that my mouth to lung hit vaping generally requires 18mg or 12mg and these juices are becoming harder to get. I suppose DIY is going to be my only option a year from now for MTL - but somehow I hope the juice manufacturers will still be able to mix up a higher strength for those in need.

I too do both MTL and Lung hits... also MTL first thing in the AM... I reach for my REO with 9mg Tropical Ice first thing and last thing of the day... after that I do both... but I do vape a LOT of XXX 3mg in various tanks throughout the day. If I'm in a place that clouds are frowned upon like the TV room at home or out and about the REO does the work. If I'm in my kennel or outside then the Target Tank or Crown does the job!
Chcing 001.JPG

Hi all

I realised this morning that so much about vaping (both hardware and juice wise) depends on whether you are a mouth-to-lung vaper or a "lung-hitter".
  • What I mean by Mouth-to-lung is that you drag into your mouth first, then inhale into the lungs.
  • Lung-hitter implies you breathe the vapour straight into the lungs. You need lots of airflow to do do that.
I am a mouth-to-lung vaper. For me, this means the following:
  • I prefer a tighter draw on my devices. So I like the tightish draw on the Standard RM2 on my Reo. I don't really like the Cyclone with Cyclops AFC - no point for me really - since I need to almost close it fully. Another example, I prefer the tighter draw of the Mini Protank 2 to the Mini Protank 3. I like the tight draw on the EVOD1. Yet another example, on the Nautilus Mini I like the second smallest airhole.
  • For me this also means that I don't build hectically low resistance coils or use massive power. 0.7 ohms on my Reo (25 Watts) is more than enough.
  • It also means that I can handle my 18mg juices. Lung-hitting 18mg juice is not pleasant.
So what are you?
Have you recently changed?
Definitely a MTL. I love playing with the vapour in my mouth before I send it to me lungs

Sent from my GT-I9195

Nice personal analogy write up @Silver.

I only do l-o-n-g, s-l-o-w, f-u-l-l lung hits 24/7, tootle puffing is not my thing. Other than when I first started smoking full time (at age 13 after chippin' at it a couple of years) with the harsh puff and spit tobacco bits cigs of the day (Lucky Strike, Camel, Lark, Pall Mall, Old Gold, Philip Morris English Ovals, etc), full lung hits is how I always smoked cigs, pipes and occasionally cigars.

The long draws work very well for me in vaping too by building my coils to the joose they will run in each different atty I run it in. FVT is my style in order of importance.

I do mainly mouth to lung hits, I find it also to strong in the morning for straight lung. find that the taste and throat hit is more of a punch in the morning Specially. I tend to start my day with about 6 mg juice and then move to twelve and back down to 6 mg in the evening. I do straight lung when I'm out with friends or having a beer, or when I'm boared. Mostly mtl for me though.

I still tend to vape the way I smoked - lighter in the morning, heavier in the shank of the day, lighter as a nightcap. This translates to MTL-DL-MTL.

The difference is that I have an arsenal of juices to accentuate the vaping style. Nic/PG levels moderate TH (the "physical" remnants of smoking), but flavour has become king for me and I let that drive the other vape parameters.

I DIY a fruit menthol, for instance, that I can't subohm DL, while one chai recipe I use is anemic at best unless it's driven hard and DL'd.

Like many, I suspect, I also make choices based on surroundings - inside versus outside, public versus private locations. I vape at work, as an example, and use a modest setup (reo w/ OL16) with a MTL build for use at my desk so as not to disrupt others, and a DL setup for use outside on breaks.

Back