Aspire Nautilus

Lol I like your style!

They might say we're compulsive... and they would be right!

So does anyone have the Nautilus in stock currently?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

For those who are interested, I finally zapped the 1.6 Ohm coil in my Nautilus and decided to strip the old coil to see how it was made.

Very interesting - this is a pretty advanced compared to a PT2 coil - being dual coil it is to be expected - but there is a lot going on inside this little thing.

Here is the first pic of all the parts that make up the coil. The Oring fits just above the threaded base of the housing, and seals the tank against the base of the Nautilus.

2014-03-29 17.32.01.jpg

One of the coil and wick assemblies - nicely gunked up by two weeks of VM4 and Vanilla Custard. Check how the coil is made with NR/R wire, and then insulation is still placed on the leads as well.
2014-03-29 17.32.29.jpg

The two coils are supported in this woven material (seems heat resistant), and then the wadding is wrapped around it. The wadding acts as the wicking material: from the tank to the wadding, and then from the wadding to the silica inside the coil.

2014-03-29 17.32.33.jpg
Rubber grommet used on the 510 connection side of the coil. The 4 legs of the coil come out alongside the grommet.
2014-03-29 17.25.41.jpg
Pin that goes into the rubber grommet, with airflow holes.
2014-03-29 17.25.30.jpg

The stripped housing. You can see the little hole where the ejuice flows into the wadding
2014-03-29 17.25.25.jpg

At R150 a pack of 5 coils I couldn't help but feel I was being ripped off a little, but now that I have seen just how well made this little guy is, I am actually a lot more comfortable with paying R30 a coil.

This atomiser should be user rebuildable, but its gonna take patience, a wire zapper, some heat shrink and a lot more patience

What resistance are your default coils? Would you taste a significant difference between the 1.6 and say 2.0 ohms on a regulated mod?

Ps. There's actually a world wide shortage of the Nautilus (reseller's intell), even Kangertech didn't realize what a hit it would be.
yip, there is a vape shop here in town, also awaiting stock for weeks already

yip, there is a vape shop here in town, also awaiting stock for weeks already

Just realized I said Kangertech instead of Aspire :oops:

It really does seem to have been a big leap forward.

Just realized I said Kangertech instead of Aspire :oops:

It really does seem to have been a big leap forward.
did not notice your faux pas...just too focussed on 'nautilus' as I want to have one too ;)

At R150 a pack of 5 coils I couldn't help but feel I was being ripped off a little, but now that I have seen just how well made this little guy is, I am actually a lot more comfortable with paying R30 a coil.

Yip I'm with you on being happy with the pricing @devdev... They perform so beautifully!

Nautilus 004.JPG

Thanks @devdev

Thanks for taking the time to strip the Nautilus coil, take some great photos and share.
Sounds like this is a great device.

@Rob Fisher is that 3 Nautili in the photo?
Impressive sir

@Rob Fisher is that 3 Nautili in the photo?
Impressive sir

Good morning Hi Ho... at least someone is awake on this fine Sunday morning! It is indeed 3 Nauty's in a row... One with 9mg Menthol Ice, One with 0mg Menthol Ice and one with either VM Strawberry or VM Litchi. It doesn't get much better than that for me. :)

Good morning Rob!
Getting my morning forum fix;-) then got loads of work to do today. Sigh

Do you find the Nautili are all consistent vape wise? I.e. Do all three give you the identical vape? Or is one slightly better than the other or slightly different? I.e. Do you notice any differences between the three?

Do you find the Nautili are all consistent vape wise? I.e. Do all three give you the identical vape? Or is one slightly better than the other or slightly different? I.e. Do you notice any differences between the three?

They are pretty consistent... I did get a coil once that wasn't too kewl and that I ripped apart for a look see but I think consistency and quality of the Vape is pretty much perfect.

If I have to find fault with the Nauty then I would like the air hole click ring to be a lot tighter... quite often I pull the device out my pocket and take a vape and the hole is closed and my eyeballs go cross eyed with the unexpected vapour lock in my face.

When they designed the Nauty they were on fire... I'm not sure how they are going to improve on it.

Thanks Rob

And i heard the Nauty airflow ring is tighter/stiffer than the Aerotank.
So if the nauty slips in your pocket, i assume then the Aerotank is even worse for holding its setting?

And i heard the Nauty airflow ring is tighter/stiffer than the Aerotank. So if the nauty slips in your pocket, i assume then the Aerotank is even worse for holding its setting?

The Aerotank system is different in that it has variable air flow in minute increments and is never just on and off like the Nautilus. The Nautilus has 4 settings and that's it... the Aerotank has multiple holes just like the Nautilus but the ring screws down slowly covering or opening the holes... but yes the ring does move in your pocket but you don't really notice it because it's not an on/off system like the Nauty.

I'm rambling... hope I made sense?

Here Rip does a nautilus coil rebuild. I'm sure some of our coil building experts will follow suit soon

The Aerotank system is different in that it has variable air flow in minute increments and is never just on and off like the Nautilus. The Nautilus has 4 settings and that's it... the Aerotank has multiple holes just like the Nautilus but the ring screws down slowly covering or opening the holes... but yes the ring does move in your pocket but you don't really notice it because it's not an on/off system like the Nauty.

I'm rambling... hope I made sense?

Not rambling at all @Rob Fisher
Makes perfect sense. Thanks

I really have gotten to like Rip... he is so much more to the point and doesn't waffle and repeat himself as much as Phil Busardo does.

I agree Rob. I find Phils videos awfully boring

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Eish! Just checked Eciggies site. Nautilus coils are R250 for five o_O

Awesome find on that video @vaalboy - he only builds a single coil rig, but I will be giving that a go later today methinks it is definitely possible :) I am up for the challenge, at least the single coil for now

Good luck @devdev , do let us know how it goes and how it vapes compared to the standard coil

Just an update on rebuilding the coils on the Nautilus. This morning I tackled my first Nautilus build.

Previously I thought I had fully stripped the nautilus atomiser assembly. I was wrong as it is possible (and might be necessary depending on the state of your coil) to extract the bottom collar:

Check my previous post with pictures of the components here

The bit on the left, just next to the main body of the atomiser is the bottom coil. At the top left is a badly damaged bottom collar, that got crushed during my first attempt at extracting.
2014-04-13 11.37.41.jpg

I tried drying burning one of my nautilus coils last night, because the vapour production had dropped right off. I know from @Rob Fisher he finds the coil last for ages, but I am using VM4 and Vanilla Custard in my Nautilus, and that is hard on coils. Rob is using fruit flavours and finds he gets great mileage from the coils.

Results of the dry burning were that I burnt the woven collar that fits inside the atomiser, and also burnt the wadding that wicks the fluid from the tank. See pic below. At the top are the burnt woven material and the burnt wadding. Below are normal used wadding and woven coil. You can just make out that the woven material has broken down from the heat

2014-04-13 11.38.39.jpg

In order to seat the wadding back into the coil it is necessary to extract the bottom collar. You then wrap the wadding around the bottom collar, and insert it into the body of the atomiser, as seen below. On the left is the collar inserted partially with the wadding. On the right are the unassembled components:

2014-04-13 11.43.01.jpg

It requires a fair bit of playing around with the wadding to make sure it is sitting flush against the walls of the atomiser body before pressing the bottom collar all the way in. It should ideally look like this before the bottom collar is seated in:

2014-04-13 11.46.28.jpg

Here is the side view. You can see the little holes in the atomiser body that the eliquid goes into. Eliquid goes into wadding, then into silica/cotton that rests inside the coil. I believe it is this dual wicking design that eliminates any gurgling, or any liquid dripping down under the coil and coming out the base of the nautilus. Such a simple design, but very clever and effective.

2014-04-13 11.44.28.jpg

The pic below just provides a better idea of how everything comes together for the final assembly. It is the woven material seated inside the bottom collar. This just gives a better idea of how everything lines up. What is not shown in this picture is the wadding.

2014-04-13 11.40.17.jpg

Finally here is the coil. 0.95 Ohms, 30g Kanthal, with cotton wick. The cotton got trimmed down when it was inserted into the atomiser body.

2014-04-13 11.39.11.jpg

All assembled and read to go:

2014-04-13 12.03.38.jpg

So it vaped beatifully, until the Kanthal scorched the rubber grommet at the bottom of the atomiser body. It was chucking out clouds of vapour on the Magneto, but unfortunately it tastes pretty bad now.

It is going to be necessary to use a wire zapper to get NR/R wire for this build, which in fact is exactly the way that Aspire makes their coils. They even include insulation around the NR wire itself. So yes a rebuild is possible, and it performs quite well. If/when I get my hands on a wire zapper I will retry this build and I will also try a dual coil build.

Just a note for anyone who is trying their hand at rebuilding the Nautilus. If you leave the wadding inside the coil then there is no need to remove the bottom collar. If you remove the wadding then the only way to get it back in is as I have shown above. My advice is to leave the wadding in place. Getting that collar out was not easy

Last edited:
Back