Banting

I had a 48 hour fast this week. Not forced at all, was just not hungry. Had dinner last night, too many friends bugging me to eat :rolleyes:

In that 48 hours I felt clear headed, very high energy and concentration easy. Oh and 2,4kg off this week :D
So I do it again :dance:
I have to add that fasting is not for everyone.
I have done extensive research on fasting, so when the "gut hunger strike" came along I grabbed it and gave it a try.

@zadiac those are amazing results :clap: keep going :)

After a month of carb flu (thought it would never end) we have so much energy :rock: and feeling great!!!
Totally worth it :D

Well done guys, Great that the banting has been working for you.

The reason you guys feel so energetic is because carbs work on the brain the same way heroin does. Its a depressant. Eating any sort of carbs weather it bread or pasta or any other, work on the same receptors in the brain as heroin targets. Hence why most people are accually addicted to eating the bad foods.

Keep it up. Next step is to remove some dairy out the diet. and Drink loads of water. Keep the good fats such as Avo's and loose the bacons and meat fats.

Some of my clients have done the banting and have had some very bad effects for cholesterol and heart issues. Dont be fooled. Butter IS NOT good for you. LOL, Keep it reasonable and try changing the diet slightly now its a more natural, "from the ground" diet.

Well done and keep it up!

I had a 48 hour fast this week. Not forced at all, was just not hungry. Had dinner last night, too many friends bugging me to eat :rolleyes:

In that 48 hours I felt clear headed, very high energy and concentration easy. Oh and 2,4kg off this week :D
So I do it again :dance:
I have to add that fasting is not for everyone.
I have done extensive research on fasting, so when the "gut hunger strike" came along I grabbed it and gave it a try.

@zadiac those are amazing results :clap: keep going :)

A fast is great for the body to help detox any toxins remaining in the body that dont get any chance to expel due to constant feeding.

interesting fact: starving the body to often or too long might cause the body to go into "shock" mode. when the body realizes that there isnt any food coming in, or an inconsistent feeding pattern, the body will try and store whatever energy it has for later as it thinks it wont be getting any for a while. This storage is the fat cells.
When you do eat again any energy that you do get from this meal could be stored as fat for later.

Best option for the body, Keep 4-5 small meals equally spaced through out the day. This helps keeping the motabolism high as well as telling the body, there is no shortage of food here, keep burning energy at a fast rate. With some of my clients, this technique has worked better then banting itself.

like I said the fast is great for detox, But when eating after the detox, avoid anything high energy, Keep to mainly proteins and veg or salad to avoid any energy being stored as proteins veg and salad have very little fat storage capabilities.

Please also remember to be drinking minimum 1.5L of water per day. this also helps the process of food through the body and also boosts metabolism and can boost your weight loss.

Keep up the good work Banters!!

A fast is great for the body to help detox any toxins remaining in the body that dont get any chance to expel due to constant feeding.

interesting fact: starving the body to often or too long might cause the body to go into "shock" mode. when the body realizes that there isnt any food coming in, or an inconsistent feeding pattern, the body will try and store whatever energy it has for later as it thinks it wont be getting any for a while. This storage is the fat cells.
When you do eat again any energy that you do get from this meal could be stored as fat for later.

Best option for the body, Keep 4-5 small meals equally spaced through out the day. This helps keeping the motabolism high as well as telling the body, there is no shortage of food here, keep burning energy at a fast rate. With some of my clients, this technique has worked better then banting itself.

like I said the fast is great for detox, But when eating after the detox, avoid anything high energy, Keep to mainly proteins and veg or salad to avoid any energy being stored as proteins veg and salad have very little fat storage capabilities.

Please also remember to be drinking minimum 1.5L of water per day. this also helps the process of food through the body and also boosts metabolism and can boost your weight loss.

Keep up the good work Banters!!
Hi @whatalotigot

Are you a banter?

What you are saying I totally disagree with. That is the old conventional way of thinking.
We do not need 3-6 meals a day, that is over eating.
You only need to eat what your body needs to function everyday.
Maximum of 3 meals a day, with plenty of fat to sustain you.

You need a lot more water than just 1,5L a day. Coffee and tea does not count. If you are Banting, you should drink at least 2,5L and more.
If you think you have had enough, go have some more. Over the years our gut and brain lost their proper connection. A week or so of Banting and you start learning that not every hunger cramp is for hunger. Some of those signals are for thirst, you need water not food.

Fasting gives your body a chance to repair itself. Your body gives off growth hormones that heals.
You do not detox while fasting, your body is already clean after a few weeks of Banting.
Diabetics benefit greatly by fasting. No insulin needed if you are not eating. They lose a lot more weight by fasting, because the body does not have to fight the food. It can heal and use the fat reserves.
It is not for everyone. I fast every day in the week, 24 hour fast. Weekends I eat breakfast, if I am hungry.
Only people that are fat adapted should try it, 3 -4 months of 100% Banting.

It is not the quantity of food you eat but the quality. The higher the quality of your food is the more your body will benefit from it, the less you need.

Very happy to keep Banting :dance:

@Bumblebabe I am a personal trainer. I am not a banter, I do not have any dairy / sugar / bread / pasta's only when I need to put on muscle.
I eat a clean diet. 3L water per day when not in the gym 4L when training. I also

Hi @whatalotigot

Are you a banter?

What you are saying I totally disagree with. That is the old conventional way of thinking.
We do not need 3-6 meals a day, that is over eating.
You only need to eat what your body needs to function everyday.
Maximum of 3 meals a day, with plenty of fat to sustain you.

You need a lot more water than just 1,5L a day. Coffee and tea does not count. If you are Banting, you should drink at least 2,5L and more.
If you think you have had enough, go have some more. Over the years our gut and brain lost their proper connection. A week or so of Banting and you start learning that not every hunger cramp is for hunger. Some of those signals are for thirst, you need water not food.

Fasting gives your body a chance to repair itself. Your body gives off growth hormones that heals.
You do not detox while fasting, your body is already clean after a few weeks of Banting.
Diabetics benefit greatly by fasting. No insulin needed if you are not eating. They lose a lot more weight by fasting, because the body does not have to fight the food. It can heal and use the fat reserves.
It is not for everyone. I fast every day in the week, 24 hour fast. Weekends I eat breakfast, if I am hungry.
Only people that are fat adapted should try it, 3 -4 months of 100% Banting.

It is not the quantity of food you eat but the quality. The higher the quality of your food is the more your body will benefit from it, the less you need.

Very happy to keep Banting :dance:

your body needs 3-6 SMALL meals per day. eg. an avo... eating a nibble every 2-3 hours is best to keep metabolize going strong. You can still over eat when having 3 per day. Massive servings count as over eating. Making it harder for the body to process this large serving. Smaller servings more often during the day will help the body work more efficiently. This is not an old way of thinking at all. This is a method used by bodybuilders and athletes world wide to date.

I have said MINIMUM 1.5L of water per day. your body needs 1-7L per day to function. And yes this EXCLUDES tea and coffee.

Trust me, I have studied the body and deal with clients all day and do diet schemes aswell.

Banting is a good way to loose weight but it is not a sustainable diet, and it will need to change to a cleaner healthier diet some day once all the fat has been taken off. I have had too many clients end up in hospital because of bad interpretations of banting. ie: Eating way to much butter and cream. Have lead to heart and circulatory problems.

Keep it in mind that noakes has changed his story about 7 times in the past and he has recently also updated the banting due to health issues aswell.

But good luck for the banting as it is working. Once you hit your goal. Looks at a more dairy free plan :) this is what my clients have had much success with.

Hehehe ok we are not talking about bodybuilding here ;)

Normal people that have tried all the "balanced diets (ways of eating)" and only picked up weight over the years or those who develop diabetes , greatly benefit from Banting.

Sure Noakes changed his mind and admitted to being wrong and is trying to correct it. Some of the best inventions in life came from nessesaty. Him getting sick was the eye opener to change things.

I never said we eat big meals. As a matter of fact, banters eat small meals. We only eat small meals at night, side plate size and not heaped.
My two men have omelettes in the morning with a dash of cream, mushrooms and salami in. That is also not a big meal. Lunch they would either have yogurt and granola or some biltong and nuts.
All good fats and not much dairy.

How can it not be sustainable?
Do you know there are 3 lists? Green - eat well and lose weight. Orange - maintain your weight by adding this in in moderation. Red- don't ever have again. So it is completely sustainable.
Portion size and how much you eat comes naturally. You learn to listen to your body and get to know it well, then give it what and how much it needs. Going back to nature is what it's about. Good fresh real food. No chemical shakes and pills and all that rubbish.

Banting is not a dairy diet. Banting discourages massive amounts of dairy being used.
We use coconut oil, butter, lard and macadamia nut oil for good fats.
Fatty meat cuts and eggs are also good fats. Avocado is also good and freaked yummy :inlove:
There are many ways to get the fat you need :)

Just with us 3, the changes are huge.
Normal blood pressure
Normal blood sugar
Bad sinus is gone
Headache, flashing eyes migraine are gone
IBS is gone
Depression is gone
Leg cramps are gone
Energy is higher then we ever thought possible
Weight is just falling off - while keeping muscle mass

Our son's concentration improved. He now has confidence, smiles a lot and jokes around. Open happy kid, who can ask for more.

It is still evolving, and I believe it will keep evolving. I personally stick with the lists and follow the brain doctor who wrote grain brain, to see what they come up with next. Then I use my own brain to decide if something sounds right or not - with my own research.

We will for sure keep Banting and keep our benefits from it. :)
It would be rather unwise of us to go back to the old "diets" lose all we have gained. :dance:

Ps the list were setup by Sally-Ann Creed, a nutritionist that grew up with asthma from the age of 8, and found a way to cure herself with food.
Her book "let food be your medicine " is a great nutritional guide.

Go do some more research, you may be very surprised ;)

Ofcourse I dont know much Im just a Personal Trainer and Health coach..

Im glad you are doing so well on the diet. cutting carbs is definitly going to have the effect you are seeing.

Iv been on 5-8% bodyfat for the past 3-4 years,
Constantly Eating Clean.
Carbs - Sugars - Diary ...Out..

As for me doing my research, I have studied the body and Food for years now.
There is ALOT MORE to food then you think. And I think you should maybe do some research. Or maybe just wait and see.

I wish you the best for the future.

We have found the most awesome......uhm..... bread type thingy lol
I'm not a microwave fan so next time I'll try just using the oven.

Recipe Carb free bread Mix:
75g (5 Tblsp) Almond flour (we used macadamia flour)
2 eggs
2 Tblsp cream c heese
25g (1,5 Tblsp) Butter
Half tsp baking powder.

Mix until smooth batter forms. (1 minute on high if using hand mixer).
Pour into a flat dish. (Small square Pyrex for square slices. Pie dish for wedges)
Sprinkle with Sesame seeds on top. don't mix further. (optional)
Microwave on high until set into a firm but soft "bread". Approx 4- 5 minutes on high.
Slice to the sizes you want and toast on the stove in a lightly buttered hot pan or in a regular toaster.
Tips: Turn stove to medium heat to get toast cooking longer and more crispy.
PRESS DOWN with a spatula to get even toasting, flipping both sides.

For grilled cheese sandwiches toast one side, flip and top with cheese while the other side is toasting.

If making savoury/garlic flatbread, mix everything and place in a round pie dish (so you can cut into wedges).
Then sprinkle the top of the uncooked mixture with the sesame seeds, mixed herbs and crushed garlic (without stirring them in) and BEFORE microwaving. This is so that they can set when cooked in microwave. If added after microwave step, they just fall off in the pan. Don't stir garlic and sesame seeds in because you want them to toast nicely on the top

:dance:
I mixed it to a smooth mixture, poured into glass dish and topped it with mozzarella, garlic and origanium (not sure of the spelling)
Then microwaved it for about 3 min on high. Popped it out onto a baking pan and grilled it till golden brown.
Njummies!!!! Easy cheesy bread thingy ;)

That was one awesome pizza :D

The flat bread recipe also makes one delicious focaccia bread ;)

And we had braaid tjops with a sweet potato bake and a salad with homegrown tomatoes, spinach and Japanese mustard leaves and some olives and feta cheese!

Last edited:
That looks so tasty @Bumblebabe!
Yummy to the max
I think i need to pay a visit to tzaneen some time. He he

You are welcome any time :)
I love cooking for everyone, used to hate but now it's fun.
Put some fat back in the food and it's awesome :dance:

The other day a friend of my wife told her she had tried a wonderful low carb bread mix from Fruit and Veg.
SWMBO lashes out a fortune for a packet of the stuff and I see it makes bread,pap and other delicious goodies.
I make it................... Now I make LC flat breads with lots of herbs which are just about palatable,but **** me this stuff is the biggest lot of shite I have ever had the misfortune to eat.
Be warned,do not even for a nanosecond be tempted to try it and if after reading this you do then here is my recipe for it :
1.Cut open foil package carefully using scissors.
2.Dump contents directly into the bin.
3.Fill the empty foil pouch with LC ketchup and eat slowly.
Disclaimer ; Drink lots of water.
Its called HEBA
Now I have done the right thing.

The other day a friend of my wife told her she had tried a wonderful low carb bread mix from Fruit and Veg.
SWMBO lashes out a fortune for a packet of the stuff and I see it makes bread,pap and other delicious goodies.
I make it................... Now I make LC flat breads with lots of herbs which are just about palatable,but **** me this stuff is the biggest lot of shite I have ever had the misfortune to eat.
Be warned,do not even for a nanosecond be tempted to try it and if after reading this you do then here is my recipe for it :
Its called HEBA
lol, I've never tried the stuff because every story I've heard sound eerily similar to yours

We generally avoid all these fancy "replacement" foods and just stick to real food :)

Wifey is going to be making some Oxtail with Chocolate and Chili dumplings soon :hambre:

Its called HEBA

I feel your pain :giggle:

lol, I've never tried the stuff because every story I've heard sound eerily similar to yours

We generally avoid all these fancy "replacement" foods and just stick to real food :)

Wifey is going to be making some Oxtail with Chocolate and Chili dumplings soon :hambre:

Oh I am, am I :cool:

Back