Battery Wraps - Installing without Heat Gun?

T666

Tenacious Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi All,

Is there a way of installing battery wraps without a heat gun or hairdryer if you dont own any of those?

Blow Torch or flame thrower, :flamethrower2: lol, only kidding! I actually after reading the thread title was going to say hairdryer but I see you don't want to use that either.

I'm single and have a shaved head, but I own a 2000W hairdryer just for this purpose, lol. Lighter will work, but as stated, take it easy. Especially some of these cartoon wraps burn through very easily. I'd suggest getting g really cheap wraps to practice on first if you go that route.

I'm single and have a shaved head, but I own a 2000W hairdryer just for this purpose, lol. Lighter will work, but as stated, take it easy. Especially some of these cartoon wraps burn through very easily. I'd suggest getting g really cheap wraps to practice on first if you go that route.
And make sure there’s no acid leaks, if you care for keeping all your fingers lol

If you don't have a hairdryer ..... use your girlfriend's . If you don't have one of those..........
jammer om to hoor
hahahaha.

My wife only uses a Hair Straightener. Me too, when i had my long hair.... Unfortunately, we do not own a hairdryer....

Will see if i should perhaps invest in a cheap heat gun

hahahaha.

My wife only uses a Hair Straightener. Me too, when i had my long hair.... Unfortunately, we do not own a hairdryer....

Will see if i should perhaps invest in a cheap heat gun
As a Gauteng resident, you surely have a heater? ... I would caution against steam and a heat gun too, (mine will remove your skin in seconds), and get yourself a small travel hairdryer else a good ol' Bic Lighter and make sure you keep the battery out the flame.

You could very carefully hold it over a hot iron with a braai glove, but I think a Bic lighter would be better. I do all my wire heat shrink like that.

As a Gauteng resident, you surely have a heater? ... I would caution against steam and a heat gun too, (mine will remove your skin in seconds), and get yourself a small travel hairdryer else a good ol' Bic Lighter and make sure you keep the battery out the flame.
Thanks,

ive got a gas heater. perhaps putting it on low and then using that?

Thanks,

ive got a gas heater. perhaps putting it on low and then using that?
I was thinking more along the lines of a fan assisted heater, aka a hair dryer on multivitamins as apposed a heat gun, which is more like a hair dryer on steroids :think:
Jus' grab a cheapie disposable lighter from your local, and hold your newly wrapped battery about a centimeter above the flame tip ;) ... I've taken cells up to a little over 80 deg C when testing them, and you'll be letting go a cell waaaaay before 80 degrees, so "moenie worry" about it blowing up in your hand.

I was thinking more along the lines of a fan assisted heater, aka a hair dryer on multivitamins as apposed a heat gun, which is more like a hair dryer on steroids :think:
Jus' grab a cheapie disposable lighter from your local, and hold your newly wrapped battery about a centimeter above the flame tip ;) ... I've taken cells up to a little over 80 deg C when testing them, and you'll be letting go a cell waaaaay before 80 degrees, so "moenie worry" about it blowing up in your hand.
Awesome, thank you - will give that a shot with the lighter.

Ive also got a small fan heater, must just check if it works first...

Can i use shrink wrap from Builders ? If so what size for an 18650 battery?

Or is it more advisable to get the ones specific from a vape shop?

1703165403215.png

Can i use shrink wrap from Builders ? If so what size for an 18650 battery?

Or is it more advisable to get the ones specific from a vape shop?

View attachment 280951
You would be better off getting it in precut form from a vape shop. However you could try Mantech and or a battery supplier ... Most of the heatshrink sold in hardware stores is however a little too thick and some mods won't accommodate the then thicker cell ... albeit arguably better for longevity :think:
Also; The largest size Builders Warehouse Stocks is 19mm, and you're after 30mm unshrunk.

I think shrink wraps are a little thick for the job and you may end up with a battery that won't fit in your mods...

Back